My new girls: can you tell the difference?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by 1Move, Nov 16, 2019.

1. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Either time for new glasses or back to elementary school for you. Both pictured are 22 fret, but even easier, ALL NC's are 22 fret.

2. 1Move

1Move Squier Talker

Nov 12, 2019
    Santa Monica
    ALSO, sorry about the poor pics guys. The image compression was too much for the 'bullet' - I run a site called Trade Cigars (for cigar nerds like me...) and I use one as well. I know the pain of image compression...I wish I could recommend an image compression assist to the mod/admin but I don't know the code supporting this forum at all. Anyway, back to the Axes.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    They both have 22 frets

Las Palmas Norte and 1Move like this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Just directly upload the full resolution photo in your post instead of hosting it elsewhere - upload a file button.....

1Move likes this.
  5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    You've already identified the NC6. I was going to say, 'Made in China' under the Squier & Fender on the ball, makes it an NC6 NC7 or any other NC year does not have 'Made in China on the front of the headstock, nor the Fender on the ball. Every NC7, that I've seen, has been labeled Affinity on the ball end of the headstock.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    1Move and Guitarmageddon like this.
  6. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Lol. I can't see that well even with my glasses on.

Guitarmageddon and jefffam like this.
  7. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I looked at it real quick. I can't see that well with my glasses. I stand corrected. Lol.

1Move and Guitarmageddon like this.
  8. 1Move

1Move Squier Talker

Nov 12, 2019
    Santa Monica
    As the NC guy, I have to tell you the WHY. I bought this 94 NC because it says 'bullet' series on the ball. 1. not only was I unaware that there were even 'series' of Squier in 1994, 2. it's that more strange because a (let's say 1975..) Fender BULLET strat has what looks like a bullet at the base of the headstock. And as you can see, there IS NO headstock adjust let alone a visible bullet.

I just couldn't resist how strange it all is...I have no idea as to the value of these old axes but they play like butter :)

9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I know what you mean, and I don't mean to imply you said anything wrong, but but when someone says that I can't help envisioning trying to play a guitar with a thick coat of butter glopped on the fretboard. :)

1Move likes this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I was up to about 20 NC's at one point. I love them.

NC4 would have a heel truss.

Any thoughts on mods? These guys are great for modding.

1Move likes this.
  11. 1Move

1Move Squier Talker

Nov 12, 2019
    Santa Monica
    ha! plays like a glove...

Because gloves play.

12. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    The Fender/Squier Bullet name has nothing to do with 70s bullet Fender style truss rod nuts......2 separate things :)

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  13. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Sadly or more likely beneficially, there is no great value to NC's. They are the true sleepers. They are going up. For some reason these 20ish guitars are just now becoming popular and prices are going up accordingly. Of course I'm talking sub-$75 up to the $150 range, so still no great value. Just fine with me, easier to buy.

And they really do play fantastic. That's why I have so many. Great playing guitars with the variation in the pickups and pickguards, not the playability.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Actually, it caught me at first also. The NC4 looks like there's no 22nd fret. So I was wondering as well.

15. 1Move

1Move Squier Talker

Nov 12, 2019
    Santa Monica
    That makes sense, but then again I'm still somewhat new to guitar history. My take: the original Bullet was named Bullet because it looked like it had a bullet truss adjust. IMO, Bullet meant something 'special' in 1994 and I figure that is why they recycled it as opposed to naming the Squiers "Reindeer" or "Toaster Over" or something. Offers a little marketing kick. Like when let's say, BMW recycles the older model grill from 6 series and puts in on a NEW 3 series; you feel like you got something that is more premium. But I digress, think it's cool, with a bullet-free looking headstock.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice