My latest project. A Tele Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Angry Possum, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-Meister

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Just starting my latest Tele project. The body is a little heavier than usual. I suppose its Northern Swamp Ash, im really not sure, could be Alder or Paulownia wood. Anyways after I dyed it yellow with Angellus Leather Dye, I gave it two coats of clear coat. Few pics to show the forum, so far.

20181022_183319.jpg 20200112_183231.jpg
    20200112_183248.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  2. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Good looking wood possum. That some true oil or something else? Im curious about doing this myself.. Love me some Tele! Check that saw you had some dye..

3. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I bought a very affordable Pickup and Bridge. Both were made in China.

20200112_183339.jpg

4. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Thanks brother, Its Clear Coat. I have used Tru Oil on some of my other projects, but this is clear coat.

5. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    What did you get for it Possum curious? Ive been looking for some possibles.. China has some good deals depending on where you go..

6. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Ive seen some doing the dye like this.. Looks alot like the true oil. Swamp ash is ****! Oops I violated lets say killer! Lol

7. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Im using a black pickguard with a gold single coil pickup. The no feills pickup and pickguard came from China as well.

20200112_183451.jpg

rbh32, Kenneth Mountain, corn and 5 others like this.
  8. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    The body I bought here in good ole USA awhile back on ebay, I purchased it from some dude in upstate NY. I believe his user name is Taurowoodworks.

9. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Part of a kit? Greatness! Well one vote for some dude den!

10. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Possum that strat on your profile pic is gorgeous...

11. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I'm not too anal or picky on electric guitar tone woods, so I will go with what's cheapest. I have built guitars with many types of different woods very cheap woods and expensive woods. In my opinion I don't really notice the difference. I believe the pickups and bridge make the tone. Not necessarily the wood, unless your building an acoustic, then the tonewood matters.

12. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  13. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Ever since I saw a classic vibe back in the day, ive been wanting a nice wood grain strat... Nice build on that one.. Im not even a carpenter but i appreciate the work..

14. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Agreed.. It has been my thought for along time.. Modding or building should get you to that conclusion, and u are right about the wood.. i favor the wood finish over the other..

15. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Not to sidetrack my thread, But heres The Candlenut wood body. The cost was $28 for the body.

20191124_125122.jpg

16. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I just wired in the pickguard to the control plate. Next is neck. I'm gonna use a canadien maple Kmise neck. The control plate was $5 from China, it came prewired with pots caps etc and a 2 way import switch. The only bad thing about that loaded control plate is its all plastic. Which I don't mind because it keeps the weight down.
    20200112_183621.jpg

17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I agree with your wood findings, lol... But, I will say that if it WAS paulownia, I think you'd know... I've got ONE paulownia guitar, (my Dean Vendetta) and it's pretty danged obvious, lol... It's almost like a more sturdy balsa, lol...

I saw a video on Youtube where a guy was testing if body shape made a difference in tone and sustain... He started off with a Strat, and just started sawin parts of it off! Lol, by the time he was done, there was BARELY any wood around the pickups, lol... Basically just a wooden plank with pups... He had it hooked up to a spectral EQ so you could literally see the difference in tone AND sustain... The results? EXTREMELY minimal, IF any... Surprising, but true...

18. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    I'm liking your work Mr. Possum!!

I have a half finished (or half started) tele project, that has been stalled for about a year, so I will be watching build for inspiration!

Just out of curiosity, how well finished is the inside of your cut-away. I only ask as I bought a cheap body here in the UK and it's nasty in there...

19. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Big arguments out there for years and years about whether a heavier guitar actually sustains better than a lighter one... you know the old Les Paul vs Telecaster weight, right? But then explain why do so many of those 7 or 8 pound stock Teles just ring all day long? It's superior mechanical coupling.

By the way, with the clear coat you've got on this candlenut Tele body you could almost make it look like one of the natural finish '53s or '54s with a plain black bakelite 5 hole pick guard.... but it looks really fine the way you've got it spec'd already. Probably will sound every bit as good as you have it looking so far. Have fun with the build!

20. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Cut away where, inside of the control plate? I don't understand the question. Sorry.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice