My first "Real" modding project: Affinity jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by TheKurdtz, Jan 16, 2018.

1. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Nut

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    Hello everyone, as you know, i am the proud owner of a vm jag that i cherish and love. But i have been wanting to mod it for a long time... But part of my new years resolutions are to get more gear i really, really like.
    IMG_20180112_142409.jpg
    Now that doesn't mean that i'm going to get rid of my jag, but i will probably get rid off some guitars that i barely play to fund this project.

And i think you will like this project, my fellow squiertalkers....

My plan is to incorporate my favorite player in a whole new guitar!

And that is where the affinity jazzmaster comes in, i really, really liked this guitar, and after i tested it out in my local guitar store, i went home and browsed the specs. This is where i found something peculiar: the affinity jazzmaster does NOT have a jazzmaster body, it has a jagmaster body! keep in mind, i had never heard about jagmasters when i first stumbled upon this, and when i was looking for pictures online i found this:
    P1000674.jpg
    pretty awesome guitar am i right?

but then i got my jag and the GAS stopped.... for a moment. and when i decided that i wanted a humbucker in the bridge position i searched the web some more on how to install one, and whilst doing so again yesterday i stumbled upon this:

fender-blacktop-jaguar-hh-black-252191.jpg
    THE FENDER BLACKTOP JAGUAR!

this is pretty much what i want my next guitar to look like, i want to do the following mods on an affinity ja(g)zzmaster:
    -put some pickup covers on those babies
    -install a jaguar control plate
    -maybe do some other cool mods overtime

the main reason why i want a control plate from a jaguar is because i hate how the buttons on the affy jazzmasters are placed, and i love how it looks. but that's also my main concern with doing this: i know that i'll probably need to find/make another pickguard to make the plate fit, but i'm not sure if a jaguar plate will fit or if a plate from a mustang or even a jazz bass would fit better, does anybody know?

Cheers,
    G

2. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Nut

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    so, just for funsies. i posted an add looking for offsets, and this guy just told me me has a heavily modded jag he's willing to sell to me, i haven't got any pics yet though :/

3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I have only seen Jags and Jazzes in the wild. Maybe one jagmaster. Sorry I can't help with the specs but someone here will know something.

Sounds like you have a good project in mind.

4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Look at that big fender amp ! ! Good Decision ! ! !

jackdragbean and corn like this.
  5. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Nut

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    i love it so much, it feels like i have become way better at playing within days. my mom says so too, and my dad... well you know :confused:

6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    speaker must have been bad in the "cube" ?

7. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Nut

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    i don't know, i don't really care about that one anymore. i might sell it one of these days

jackdragbean likes this.
  8. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Nut

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    anybody got any info or tips about doing this?

9. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Yeah, me too

10. kjohns339

kjohns339 Squier Talker

Jun 17, 2010
    FL
    Tips about doing what? Making an Affinity JM look like a MIM blacktop?

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Cool idea, should be fun.
    I'd buy the shortest control plate you can: the Jazz Bass will be the longest I believe. Mustang maybe a little longer than the Jag? I'd go with the Jag plate first.
    Then unscrew your pickguard and remove all the electronics. Put the pickguard back on with a few screws and see if the Jag plate will match the pot holes AND have room to cover any pickguard screws.

If you're lucky, you can cover all holes and install pots without extra routing. If you're really lucky, then you can chop your existing pickguard to fit around the plate and not have it looking hackish. It's more likely that you'll need a custom made pickguard.

As for the pickups, well I'm not that informed on Gibson style HBs, I'd just buy a new set with covers and be done with it. You aren't changing the bridge, right?

TheKurdtz likes this.
  12. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Nut

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    thanks! nope not changing that bridge

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. kjohns339

kjohns339 Squier Talker

Jun 17, 2010
    FL
    I did something similar with a MIM Squier Jazz bass. Those came with a full plastic pickguard(no plate). I just bought a plate and cut the pickguard down to fit.

BorderRadio and TheKurdtz like this.
  14. benjammin420

benjammin420 Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    The Affinity Jazzmaster doesn't have a tremolo like the Jagmaster, so it's kind of a 3rd variation

TheKurdtz likes this.