My first mod...

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by SquierTap, Sep 29, 2018.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Oh, by the way, LOVE the custom waterslide decals... Does that say "Franken"? And where'd ya get 'em? I'm wanting a custom one for mine and hoping I can get somebody who's good with graphics to make me some...

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I was thinking about the name I wanna put on the headstock... My wife even said, "Well, you can't really call it a Squier anymore, you've changed almost every part!" She's actually wanting to help me make a few custom guitars now and since our initials are the same (CK) I was thinking about "CeeKay Guitars"... Somebody even suggested "CK2" (CK Squared)...
    I was looking around online and found a brush font that's pretty close to the Fender logo, so I made one up that says "Chris Key" (my name) and I'm gonna use a guitar pick shape to do the "I"... But if anybody has any suggestions for that, I'll take 'em... fd512c00b6b376d4bbdf5e90f21fcb55.png

daan, dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    And I was havin trouble finding fine grain sandpaper without having to go to Lowe's or Home Depot, but I had an idea... Stopped in O'Reilly's today and not only did they have my sandpaper, I was FINALLY able to find a set of feeler gauges! Lol... IMG_20180929_154318240.jpg Oh yeah... One more thing; This is my "reference picture" for the idea for the finish... If it turns out anything like this, I'll be a happy dude...
    41oZcsZ4sgL.jpg

so1om, daan, duggerh and 5 others like this.

4. I hear ya buddy … nor could I sand out that sunburst body. There's so many black ones available for such a project.
    I did a balls to the wall build on a black SE and turned it into this. I was an extensive project with every component changed.

Heirloom White SE 01.jpg

Heirloom White SE 02.jpg

Best of luck on your build and hey, we're here to help if any questions arise. Cheers, Barrie. :)

JoeInMichigan, daan, brians and 6 others like this.
  5. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Nut

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    You're kickin' butt and taking names so far.

6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    That's just heart stoppingly beautiful, man... You can tell you put alotta time, effort, and love into that one... Gorgeous guitar... Great job, hoss...

7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Gotta ask, though... What kind of clear coat did ya use? I'd really hate to do a good job on dying it and then mess up the last crucial step of clear coating it!

8. I used Rustoleum Painters Touch - Ultra Cover 2X. At least 6 or 7 coats then wet sanding in three or four stages from 800 to 1,500 grit. Then polishing compound and mirror glaze using a dual action buffer. Takes time and patience … there's no rushing any stage of finishing.

Cheers, Barrie.

9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Wellllp... Snagsville, Daddy-O, Snagsville...
    Tried to stain that body last night and uh, yeah, not so much... I don't know if maybe I didn't sand it far enough down or what... But it's like there's some kind of coating or something that's preventing the dye from soaking in like it should... And when I tried sanding it down, instead of the grain popping out, I get little dark circles from the sandpaper and if I keep goin, it just comes off clean basically... Hmm.... Gonna have to re-think this thing, me thinks, lol... IMG_20180930_030918151.jpg IMG_20180930_034608470.jpg IMG_20180930_035341050.jpg IMG_20180930_125735714.jpg

10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well... Looks like I'm having a lil more success with the body "taking" stain... Guess it's a good thing I ordered "forrest" green! Ever since I sanded that body down, I noticed it had a yellowish color, and granted, I know absolutely nadda about woodworking right now, but it seems as if there's some kind of coating or something on top of the actual wood that's preventing my dye from soaking in... I mean, I used an oscillating sander and I was pretty sure that I was all the way through the finish... I did run into quite a few of those "mystery" spots... Lil white spots that we're either glue spots or wood filler or something... I noticed that THEY sure took ink! After the first pass with the black they were blacker than a coal miner's what have you, lol...
    So after a couple passes of the black and sanding it off, which is supposed to make the grain "pop", I'm left with a completely different look... But ya know what? It ain't bad... Just different than I planned... It almost has a lime green color over what looks like an older, funky, grungier wood...
    Bruce Lee had a saying; "Be like water..." And I don't think he was just talkin about marshal arts... I use that as my motto everyday... Be like water... Water keeps flowing... It finds a way... And as long as it's not standing still it doesn't go stagnant...
    I'll take a happy accident... To be honest, I really wasn't expecting a lot... It's my first mod after all... Tell ya this though; Ya live, and ya learn... Next time I'm gonna hop on guitarfetish.com and grab one of those unfinished bodies for 50 bucks so I know what I'm working with... Maybe even save up and see if I can find a hardtail strat body in a nice quilted maple... Or maybe try out one of those really lightweight bodies made out of Paulownia...
    But in the meantime, let's see what we can do about this grungy, old, beat-lookin, lime-burst, here...
    ;) IMG_20181001_010408691.jpg IMG_20181001_010408691.jpg IMG_20181001_010413858.jpg

11. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Nut

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    My yellow strat has a face that only a mother can love :) It should more aptly be called "lemon peel" than "mellow yellow" when you look closely at the finish.

"Of course I think you're pretty, darling":

20180912_232419.jpg

But you know? The thing plays like a dream and I learned a great deal from the experience. All in between the guitar, paint, pickups and block I got something with my own stamp on it at a great price. A few thoughts I had after the fact:

- I don't know for sure, but I think the body is more resonant with the very thin finish I put on it (one rattle can of paint on bare wood followed by matte sealer). Even with all of the negative aspects of my end result, this makes me very happy with the final product.
    - sealer is a good thing for hiding joint cracks
    - I will think twice before refinishing a body again. I have a black tele that is not happy to hear that - because I would very much prefer to give it a forearm contour.
    - I should have used a different pickguard or pickup screws that are not expecting a recess where they screw in
    - The stock bridge plate is ever so slightly different than a PW-29 block, I drilled but would replace the whole thing next time
    - mixing and matching random pickups is fun, and a compass and multimeter are part of a good modder's toolbox
    - Most of the people on Squier Talk are better at this stuff than I am.

So - I hope you take the positive and negative aspects of your experience and keep going, and focus on the aspects of this stuff you enjoy the most. And if you wanted to - your body may take an opaque finish just fine over what you have done so far. I think those black spots that started out as white spots might have been where you got through to the actual wood, and that is why they picked up the stain - and elsewhere the sealer reacted differently.

12. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I like it ! Original !

Mister Noonan, SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  13. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    The stain isn’t “taking” because there’s still a sealer coat on the body. The actual colored paint is a lot thinner than the sealer they use, getting that off (with a heat gun) is how I scorched my body so bad. Otherwise I’d say you did a bang-up job so far!

SoundDesign, Wizzer, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  14. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Man... I'm g'wan start callin you "The Squier Swami"... You're exactly right... On everything... As far as I can tell... @Mister Noonan, you and @daan were exactly right... There WAS still a layer of whatever they used to seal the guitar on there! I feel stupid saying that now, but there it is... I'm not a stupid cat necessarily, lol... But I'm damned sure ignorant when it comes to woodworking...
    that body LOOKED great when I sanded the finish off, but it felt really stoo. But if I'd just stopped to think for a second, or got on here and started screamin for help, lol, maybe I'd have figured this out sooner, but hey, what are first times for? Lol... Everybody on here (that knew what they were talkin about) was complaining of how hard it is to get a factory finish off! Lol... Here I was goin, "Well, I guess it's just the matter of havin the right tool! Dum diddy dum, Why isn't this ink soakin in?!?
    Lol...
    As always, you guys were right... I started REALLY sanding it with some 60 grit and right as my arm was about to fall off, I noticed a little tiny spot that actually FELT like raw wood, lol... So I've slowly been workin at all day... As much as I can while watching a 2 year old, and getting ready for work, lol... But I work at a hotel, and the maintenance man has a palm sander with some 100 grit, so... Wish me luck! Here we go again! I'll keep the updates and pics comin... I WILL eventually have an amazing guitar that I absolutely LOVE... And hopefully a lil knowledge of how to do I better next time... I'm ALREADY seein things that I could've/can do better... Why didn't you guys tell me about Dragonfires pickups and accessories?!? Lol...
    Seriously, though; I hope that someone who decides to mod their guitar for the first time comes across this post, and it helps 'em out... Like I said, I don't know what I'd have done without y'all's help... I DAMNED sure wouldn't be elbow deep in this mod though... So... Thanks, lol...

15. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I don’t know, even when my projects weren’t going the way I planned, I was still having fun. Go, man, go!!! When you’re done, instead of having a “one of thousands” guitar, you’ll have a totally unique one that’s just the way you want.

16. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Nut

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Here is a vid dying a bare sycamore body, it may be helpful in the future.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  17. I mentioned in an earlier post here that I used Rustoleum when in fact I used MinWax Clear Polyurethane for the clear coat. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:
    Cheers, Barrie.

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  18. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Awesome video! I like how he actually gives amounts when he's talking about mixing dyes... Most people seem really willy-nilly about it, like it's the most natural thing in the world... Like they almost forget that the MAIN reason people watch videos like this is because they DON'T know how to do this stuff! Lol...

dbrian66 and Loin Lover like this.
  19. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    cant wait to see more updates, and what I here on difrent paint and stain forums the hardest part will be using a clear finish with out problems about a 1/4 of the posts are about clear coat problems.

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  20. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Now that is a color I really like. Looks great!!!!

SquierTap likes this.