My Fellow Guitar Geezers........................................

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by RetiredNSquired, Sep 10, 2018.

1. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Nut

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    At 55 I've never experienced that. I like and drive a Lincoln mostly because of the so Hot Rod Lincoln.

2. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier Talker

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    I really felt musically old when talking with co-workers who started talking about the first couple of concerts that they went to and when it was my turn I mentioned my 1st concert was Kiss at the Civic Center in Lakeland Florida where Ace Frehley was almost electrocuted walking from back stage, up and over some stairs to get to the main stage on Dec. 12, 1976, and my 2nd concert was Led Zeppelin's infamous stop in Tampa, Florida on Friday, June 3, 1977. Most of my co-workers asked who is Kiss and Led Zeppelin?
    then I realized that they were probably not even born then.

Kenneth Mountain, so1om, daan and 2 others like this.
  3. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest
    When I tell people I was lucky enough to see Randy Rhodes live that imho is the only guitarist will ever associate with Ozzy.

4. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Hearing Siouxsie and The Banshees playing on the store’s “Muzak” at OSH hardware.

5. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    So I complained all the time when I was younger, that nobody played Siouxsie and the like on the radio (at least where I grew up) and now I’d definitely complain about hearing them over the Muzak thing!

Kenneth Mountain, mb doug and so1om like this.
  6. archetype

archetype Squier-Meister

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    That hits me, too. There are some great musicians out there, currently, but I don't see the "industry" embracing them to the point where they'll promote them like the "old guys" got promoted.

7. archetype

archetype Squier-Meister

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    One of the most unfortunate experiences of my life was hearing Perry Como crooning a very slow Touch Me, by The Doors, on the overhead speakers in a bank lobby.That was in the mid-1970s and I'm still not OK.

8. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    For me it was when I heard AC/DC ,Twisted Sister, and Ozzy on car commercials...
    After the 80s and the PMRC thing, now on tv..disturbing.

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  9. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Aging? Huh?

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out." Timothy Leary once said that.

I used to know what he was talking about. Must have been some old music radio station, yes?

Whatever. It sure was a catchy slogan!

-nod

mb doug likes this.
  10. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Who would be after that? Just reading your account of it is terrifying.

11. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    This! This is the most amazing phenomenon to me. Songs that I (and most in my circle of friends) couldn't stand at the time, often to the point of ridicule (songs that we all loved to hate), are often incredibly evocative to me now. Occasionally, and it is rare, I'll switch to a Sirius XM channel that I have no business listening to and something will suck me in that just should not. But it does. Then, suddenly, I'm back in the day coming of age with life's best friends having a laugh about "shitty mainstream music".

I am that exception. I can't imagine not continuously looking for "new music". The other day, "Disintegration" was part of my evening playlist (after a post here about the Bass VI), but just recently I discovered "St Vincent". Now, I know she's not exactly "new" but she's not "GenX". About three years ago I discovered two of my favorite bands of all time Hammock and Tycho. Life is way too short to "get locked in" to anything.

daan, Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  12. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

Hard to say. Even as a kid in the 80s and early 90s, I always hated ‘pop’ music, even though I wasn’t particularly interested in music in a big way. When I did become interested it was Indie and Rock and then later Blues etc (and admittedly I have an ongoing guilty pleasure for 90s Eurodance). I was never a fan of commercial pop, even if a lot of the stuff I liked was in the charts. I suppose it’s been in the last 10-15 years, as the charts have become dominated, even almost exclusively so, by commercial crap. I couldn’t name most of them now, some I’ve heard of but I couldn’t name or recognise anything they’ve done, and generally when I do hear something it sounds like bland crap or just noise. I used to be able to scratch below the surface and discover fresh, new stuff, but I’m finding that harder and harder, so I guess that’s a sign of getting old! Well, I’m practically middle aged now anyway!

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  13. 0isez

0isez Squier Talker

Aug 24, 2018
    southwest minneapolis
    Never! I always think that "they" (those uniformed latter day rockers) were the ones that missed out on the greatest era of music ever (with possible exception of the baroque period). If they never saw Tull or got into the Beatles, listened to Zep with headphones then it's their loss. Nothing before or since has there been a collection of musicians like those of the '60's or '70's. I just wish I could influence them like I did my kids. Once they got it they were hooked.