Mustang I speaker mod

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Zooker, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Zooker

Zooker Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2010
    North Idaho
    I've had my Mustang I for two years now and I really like it. :)
    It's been a great little practice amp and I even used at my eldest son's outdoor wedding this past August.
    Everyone said it sounded great but I felt it was lacking a little something and I was thinking about replacing it with a Mustang II.
    Well... the little Mustang was less than $100.00 new and I'd be lucky to get $50.00 for it, so I decided to have a little fun and mod it first (warranty be damned).
    I swapped out the little eight inch no-name stock speaker for a Jensen Mod 35 watt 10 inch speaker. Wow! What a difference!
    It sounds like a much bigger amp now.
    Now it's a Fender Mustang Mach-1!!!

Pics to follow... I promise!

2. hudsonnh

hudsonnh Squier-holic

Aug 28, 2011
    Marshall, VA
    Let me see those pictures!
    I'd love to do the same thing - curious how well the 10" fit in the box and if you ended up making the speaker hole larger?

3. tabdog

tabdog Squier-holic

May 2, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    What he said,

Tabdog

4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Yep, a speaker upgrade is the best mod for an amp..
    A friend once brought a Fender Champ to me to replace a torn speaker..I knew of a Peavey Scorpion 10 inch that was availabe, cheap..Opened the hole to fit the 10 in..It barely fit but wow, what a difference..
    Glad to hear that you had success with your upgrade..

5. Zooker

Zooker Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2010
    North Idaho
    Here's a comparison of the stock no-name 8 inch speaker to the Jensen Mod 10 inch speaker.

[​IMG]

Stock...

[​IMG]

Mod...

[​IMG]

6. Zooker

Zooker Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2010
    North Idaho
    Here's the 8 inch hole in the cabinet baffle...

[​IMG]

I could have just fastened the 10 inch speaker over the 8 inch hole and it would still be an improvement... but it wouldn't be right and the speaker wouldn't be able to give it's full voice.
    When I ordered the Jensen, I also ordered a 10 inch baffle ring for a template.

[​IMG]

The baffle ring that I ordered was 3/4 inch thick MDF. I had enough depth in the cabinet for the extra thickness so I decided to go ahead and screw and glue it into the cabinet and mount the speaker to it.
    I installed threaded brass inserts into the baffle.

[​IMG]

The baffle... screwed and glued. I decided to offset the speaker over to one side so I could keep the Fender emblem in it's original place on the face.

[​IMG]

7. Zooker

Zooker Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2010
    North Idaho
    Opening up the hole in the cabinet took a little ingenuity.
    Normally, when doing a speaker upgrade, I would remove the grill and just router a new hole in the baffle. On the Mustang the grill cloth is stapled to the baffle and the baffle is glued in place. This makes it cheaper to build but harder to mod.
    I found that the grill cloth has enough give in it to allow me to slide a piece of metal between the baffle and the cloth so I could make my cut.
    I drilled a series of small holes around in the inside of the new baffle... going slow and carefully and stopping just as I touched the metal guard. (I still managed to poke a hole in the cloth :()

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the edges and masked off the cloth and painted the inside of the cabinet flat black. I want to experiment with trying an open back and it just looks better if the interior is black.

[​IMG]

8. hudsonnh

hudsonnh Squier-holic

Aug 28, 2011
    Marshall, VA
    Thanks for all that.
    I haven't looked at all at our Mustang I - but does it seem possible to unstaple that grill cloth and make the baffle cut and then restaple?

At any rate the idea of putting in the metal plate as a shield while drilling works for me....

9. Zooker

Zooker Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2010
    North Idaho
    The new speaker in place...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was in a hurry to put it back together and try it out and I didn't take pictures of the wiring but I will... when I tear it back down to blow the last of the sawdust out from behind the grill cloth... :rolleyes:

Chrome corners and DIY tilt-back legs are next. :)

10. Zooker

Zooker Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2010
    North Idaho
    I tried to remove it but the glue that they used to assemble it is tenacious! I was afraid of doing more harm than good if I forced it.

11. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2012
    North Carolina
    I did the same thing with my Peavey Vypyr 15--with a Jensen Mod 10-40. Pulled the stock baffle and cut a new one out of ply with a 9" speaker hole. Changing the stock speaker for a bigger one in the Vypyr was a night and day change--louder and "bigger".

The modded Vypyr is my small gig amp. Now you have me interested in modding a Mustang 1

By the way, that superimposed baffle of yours is an interesting way of doing at and reinforcing the flimsy stock baffle at the same time. Are you running it open backed?

12. Zooker

Zooker Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2010
    North Idaho
    Closed back for now, but I'm going to experiment with opening the back up.

13. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2012
    North Carolina
    I realized that mine is a 10-50 Jensen Mod. The Vypyr runs a 4 ohm load[​IMG]

14. gameovergt

gameovergt Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2012
    Indiana
  15. BiggBaddWolf

BiggBaddWolf Squier-holic

That is weird it had a no name speaker, my Mustang III has a Celestion :)

16. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I just put a speaker jack on the thing , N/C jack kills the inboard speaker and powers your external
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fadetoz likes this.
  17. scotty66

scotty66 Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2010
    KY
    Any inside pics of that mod?

18. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I don't, but if you need some help I could maybe get some or make a diagram if you need it. It's less than $10 mod .. though you have to have a speaker cable I might add which are not sheilded

19. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Been thinking about one of those Jenson Mod speakers for my SCXD. Any opinions on them? Lots of people say go with a Ragin Cajun. What do you think? Any experiences or info on a favorite etc. would be appreciated!

20. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I think I'd go with Eminence or WGS speakers over modern Jensens, now vintage jensen would be another story ... but 10" vintaage Jensen are big $$

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice