Mustang GT amps released today!

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by jeffbeck, May 1, 2017.

1. jeffbeck

jeffbeck Squier-Meister

Sep 11, 2011
    Western KY
    I REALLY, REALLY, want that GT40. Like, a lot.

kenneth, ponca, DaveDrums and 2 others like this.
  2. jeffbeck

jeffbeck Squier-Meister

Sep 11, 2011
    Western KY
    Not seeing them for sale anywhere yet, but one is SOOOOO on my list.

radiotech likes this.
  3. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Yep, Music Radar, and Fender have videos up too, and it's on the website as well.

Mine (GT 40) came in today (preordered a few weeks ago), if I don't have to work overtime the next couple days, I'll go pick it up.

jeffbeck likes this.
  4. jeffbeck

jeffbeck Squier-Meister

Sep 11, 2011
    Western KY
    I'm super freaking jealous of you at this moment. I hope it's fantastic.

5. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    :D Me too (hope it's fantastic).

As I understand it, your old 4 button footswitch will work, and the 40/100 comes with magnetic labels to match the new amp functions (can't use the looper effectively without the footswitch).

I love that they eliminated the tricolor LED interface, giving a screen to all three models, and stereo effects in the 40 (whereas only the IV/V had them before). The setlist feature, and BT app control/streaming is worth the price of admission, but Wifi, looper, infinite presets on your phone are gravy.
    A couple guys on the FB Fender Mustang discussion group are hating the look so much, they claim they will never buy one... ironically these are the same guys who were arguing/griping for the exact features that the amp now has.

I'm keeping my MIII (for now), I've got too much time invested in it to fully jump ship.

mechanic1908 and Rollmeaway like this.
  6. jeffbeck

jeffbeck Squier-Meister

Sep 11, 2011
    Western KY
    I've got a MIII as well. Mine is a lowly v.1, though. They did say that you can port all your presets from an older Mustang to the newer ones. Not the other way around, though.

Rollmeaway and radiotech like this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
  8. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Caddy, kenneth, ponca and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    I still haven't figured out the settings on my M3. I just boot it up clean and run my old Boss ME-20 into it. I bought my first Bullet and got a real deal on a floor model of the Mustang with it. Works for me.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  10. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Yep, there are some decent canned presets on it, but just a little tweaking (especially to your guitar), can make some great ones. If the jog wheel is confusing, use Fuse, where you have physical representations of the signal chain, it's pretty logical to tweak there. If you watch the M3 screen while you do it, then you'll get the hang of doing it that way as well.

I had a 5 1/2 year oddesey to get a unified amp/effects solution before hitting on the Mustang. It's still my opinion that it's one of the easiest modelers out there. If you're interested, the entire story is here.

11. jeffbeck

jeffbeck Squier-Meister

Sep 11, 2011
    Western KY
    So @radiotech did you get it? Is it magical? Did your playing improve by 50% or more?

I'm hoping for somewhere around a 200% improvement in my playing to bring me to that coveted "intermediate" ranking as a player.

I really am looking forward to your thoughts. Especially since you're getting the exact one that I want.

12. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Can't you update the software to V.2?

13. jeffbeck

jeffbeck Squier-Meister

Sep 11, 2011
    Western KY
    I don't think so - but I would do it if I can.

14. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Nope, but you can share patches between the two, features in the v2, (but not on the V1), just don't have that effect/feature (there's only a few).

Kenneth Mountain and ponca like this.
  15. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Nope, OT and Dr's appt today, it'll have to wait.

16. jeffbeck

jeffbeck Squier-Meister

Sep 11, 2011
    Western KY
    Too bad. Good luck with the apts.

17. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    I put my order in for the GT 40. Not sure how long I'll have to wait.
    Using it for half an hour and selling it kind of makes me wonder...
    the speaker needs some play time , and some of the deeper edits and things that will passed-on down the road are are what interests me.
    I'm betting that 6 months to a year down the road , he'll be buying another and giving it a second chance.

radiotech and jeffbeck like this.
  18. scifilullaby

scifilullaby Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    Hi, silly question but unfortunately with the localisation tricks of the new Fender site I cannot see products that are in theory not available in my country (my local store has them on preorder but its site is not informative at all) so my question is whether the 40 pis stereo (I gather there are two 6" speakers) and tbh because I've never used a stereo amp before, what does this mean? what does stereo separation in terms of guitar amps mean and how is it achieved? sorry again if this is a silly question

19. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Simple answer: Effects like Reverb, tremolo, and Leslie (rotating speaker), can be bounced (offset timed) to the second speaker to better emulate the analog aspects of these effects. The previous Mustangs (IV/V), also have this feature having 2/4 speakers (and the I/II/III, do it in the headphone/USB out).
    I've heard the Leslie on a Mustang IV, and it's quite dramatic compared to using even a Leslie brand pedal, it's about as close to an actual Leslie unit to my ears that I've heard.
    I have almost teetered on a Mustang IV on craigslist more than a few times, but for being a home player it's just too much.
    The 40 should be ideal for me.