Musical equipment your kids have broken.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by otisblove, Mar 21, 2019.

1. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Yesterday I found out my seven-year-old son had broken my SM 58 microphone.
    He unscrewed the grill, pulled the capsule out and broke the two wires connecting it.
    Luckily I was able to solder the wires back in place and it works just fine.

I’d like to hear what musical equipment other people’s kids have broken!

2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I’ve been lucky. Nothing broken yet. (I am knocking on wood as I type!). My music room/man cave is also the kids playroom. And I don’t discourage the kids from playing with the instruments. Now that said, my Gibson’s and anything else that’s worth more than a couple hundred bucks is up high hanging on the wall.

five teles, SquierTap and otisblove like this.
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I live about 2 miles from Shure and have a few colleagues that work there. And yes.. the do drop stuff off the roof as they test it.

My kids have only broken strings, maybe a plug break off but nothing more than want an average adult would do.

4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    so as to ensure the greatest fall distance...…. :D

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    my kids (now 12 and 14, but guitars have been around for 7 years) have never broken anything, fortunately. They actually won't even TOUCH one of my guitars. Typically it is like this - "Dad, can you please move your guitar from the couch so we can watch the Walking Dead?" :)

6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Many years ago my daughter's friend used to like to come over and the two of them would 'play guitar'. One day I opened the case to play that Ovation Acoustic Electric Balladeer. There it was in the case with all the strings attached, but alas, the headstock was broken right off. They dropped it and put it right back in the case and never said a word. It was awesome.

7. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    My step son recently broke the original nut on my SQ. Not cool. My daughter somehow got the xlr male connector jammed into the a AKG handheld mic and it wont come out. I dont know how this happened. She also broke my nice sennheiser studio headphones, I got them repaired under warranty. She also broke her macbook by spilling liquid onto it. Kids!!!

8. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

The scroll has been knocked off my Eastman MD515 mando - twice (once by kid and once by wife). :mad:
    My wife was vacuuming and put a small gouge in the finish of my Blueridge BR-160.

(We're still married)

9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I usually leave my guitars anywhere, I'd rather the kids learn how to be around and handle instruments than lock them up... But man, my worst story was when I actually put my guitar up, lol... I left my Bullet Mustang plugged into my lil Peavey Vypyr 15 and hung it up on it's hanger about 5 feet above our solid concrete floor...
    5 minutes later we heard the loudest crash ever... We ran in and thank God, my 2 year old son was fine, but he'd pushed the amp off the coffee table and the little short cable yanked the Stang right off the wall and straight into the concrete... I still can't believe it didn't break in half! But there wasn't ANY damage as far as I can tell... And it's funny, it actually wound up HELPING... Before "The Fall" I was just about ready to get rid of that guitar cause it just felt awful... It just felt cheap and crappy, and AFTER it fell, it of course needed a setup and a truss rod adjustment, and now I LOVE that lil guitar, lol!
    And actually wound up getting a new amp out the deal... The Peavey was fine, of course, but my wife asked me to get one of those Katana Minis "for safety reasons"... And who am I to argue? Especially since my main amp is a Katana 100 combo, lol...
    So... Thanks, son... Lol...

10. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Nothing, really...I have an old beater Epi AJ18 acoustic that a dog knocked off of the stand and when I yelled at him, he "danced" on the front, giving it some good gouges, but it's still totally playable.....was a very strange event, as he was THE best, THE smartest dog I've ever had.... R.I.P. Buddy...… (and, no, I did not take his life, he lived to the ripe old age of about 16 before his kidneys failed). The only actual breakage of an instrument was done by me (memory of actual events are hazy), but the neck of my old '60's Harmony Bobkat got broken during a move from an apartment to a house. BUT, I recently scored a very good condition replacement on eBay, everything works, just needs a slight fret dressing and a fretboard marker at the 5th fret. It's taking me back 50 years :cool: Bobkat1.jpg

five teles and otisblove like this.
  11. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Moral of the story? Even if you put your instruments back in the case your family (wife, kids, pets, in-laws, grandchildren - did I leave anybody out?) will find a way to mess up your stuff!

five teles, otisblove and Davis Sharp like this.
  12. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

I bent a cow bell in elementary school,...:D:D:D:D

13. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    My SQ Strat acquired a ding. It was on a stand in the basement. No one knows how it happened. I guess it was a miracle. When my kids' friends come over, everything stays behind a closed door. When a particular set of their cousins come over, that door becomes locked.

14. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Mu son never damaged any instrument or computer while he lived at home. He's worn glasses since he was 4. Amazingly he only broke 1 pair until he was an adult and moved out on his own.

His first wife.... that's another sad, disgusting story.

His current wife and all the kids are far more respectful of instruments. Until he got a 9 rack, many of his guitars, acoustic and electric were on individual racks and a three rack. No damage from his kids. The grandkids know which guitars they can play of mine and don't mess with the others. I ended up giving the grandkids the partscasters they could play. Plus they can play the Kay short scale bass.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice