Music documentaries worth a look

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by surf green, Mar 22, 2020.

1. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
    "Carmine Street Guitars" - movie about the guy in Greenwich Village who builds custom guitars out of wood reclaimed from demolished or renovated buildings, some of them historical landmarks.
    I saw it on the "Crave" streaming service.

CVSteve, BlueTele, VealCutlet and 2 others like this.
  2. GregNZ

GregNZ Squier Talker

Oct 28, 2010
    New Zealand
    The Miles doco "Birth Of The Cool" is currently on Netflix..."Kind of Blue" is a great album with Miles' brooding, sparse trumpet playing, the intense tenor sax playing of John Coltrane, and the joyous alto sax of Julian 'Cannonball' Adderley...what more could you want...?:)

Greg S.

3. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    I went through a phase about a decade ago of listening to Kind Of Blue every day, haven't had it on in ages. Re Cannonball Adderley, about twenty years ago I picked up a very good condition Blue Note original of the Somethin' Else vinyl in a charity shop for £1. That was during the golden days before charity shops such as Oxfam started charging me £8 for a Lightning Hopkins album which was in such bad condition as to be almost unplayable.

Re John Coltrane, I can remember the precise moment I really 'got' jazz, it was just under thirty years ago when the DJ John Peel played After The Rain by John Coltrane.

Re the Miles Davis docu, thanks for letting everyone know where to see it, I don't have Netflix but hopefully those that do can enjoy it.

Uncle Joe and mb doug like this.
  4. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    The Rutles. It's an alternate universe mockumentary, but it is truly great....especially if you know anything about The Beatles...

5. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    So, I watched the ZZ Top doc and I liked it. I love Billy Gibbons, his guitar tone is amazing.

VealCutlet, Bluzy and BlueTele like this.
  6. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Great show, I remember first watchin this quite a very long time ago, I'll haveta give it another view. Thanks fer postin, it's right up there with This is Spinal Tap, imo. Funny stuff, both! :D

VealCutlet likes this.
  7. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Amazon Prime has one called "Turn it Up". History and info on electric guitars, including some amazing vintage collections. Hosted by Kevin Bacon.

VealCutlet and Mr Bones like this.
  8. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Also on Amazon Prime, "Song of the South", a biography of Duane Allman.

Uncle Joe, BlueTele and Mr Bones like this.
  9. daemon

daemon Squier Talker

Jan 3, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Great topic, I've been meaning to check out that Miles doc. If you're into early synth, there's a nice one about the scene in Sheffield in the late 70s early 80s called Made in Sheffield. Features the likes of Human League, ABC, Cabaret Voltaire and a whole host of others. I find it interesting how particular towns or regions can become a hotbed for a certain kind of sound.

There was also a multi-part series on PBS in the mid 90s called Rock and Roll that was great. There are 10 of them, touching different movements and all featuring great interviews.
    This is one of them, covering the Velvet Underground, Bowie, Iggy, etc.

Uncle Joe and One String Sam like this.
  10. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    This is a good one about Yazoo, genuinely ahead of their time and hugely influential. A good time in my life when I first started playing guitar and being in bands and one of my friends had taken out a £1000 bank loan and bought himself a Roland Juno synth and got me into some of the bands mentioned in the post above such as Heaven 17 along with Yazoo and bands like Depeche Mode and the first Specials album which helped to broaden my punk palette.

VealCutlet and daemon like this.
  11. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    Not that it's important, but I happened to notice that video has the date of his death wrong. It says, "Stevie Ray Vaughn 1954-1983", but the first of the 4 times I'd seen him, was his first tour, which was either '83 or '84. He actually died in 1990. Again, no biggie, not busting on you or anything, it just caught my eye. ;)

fattboyzz likes this.
  12. I thoroughly enjoyed the ZZ Top documentary. There could almost be a follow up second one that covers their later career.
    Cheers, Barrie.

BlueTele, surf green and VealCutlet like this.
  13. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I watched the ZZ Top doc last night. I enjoyed it. I do love their old sound. Another trio with huge sound!. I would like to see Billy Gibbons now without the beard. I guess he and Dusty...a new beginning

BlueTele, surf green and VealCutlet like this.
  14. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I LOVED the ZZ Top doc. Thanks guys. Always liked, never loved their music, but really getting to know the guys behind it was fantastic.

Today's recommendation - Big Star - Nothing can hurt me. Streaming for free on www.tubitv.com

Just look at the shirt Im wearing in my avi...Trailer on youtubes

15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Thats the dates of the documentary .

The 2nd part goes on from there to the end :)

Brocephus and Dinomikesr like this.
  16. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    I was lucky enough to catch them live in 2007 and was then at a really good tribute night bands local to my city put on when Alex Chilton died in 2010. I'm going to watch that now, thanks. Edit, or maybe not, only available in US and I don't have a VPN, found it on YT, supposedly, but it was just someone using the name to shill his channel, not actually available.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    VealCutlet and BlueTele like this.
  17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Austin City Limits put the last two years of shoes online for the shut-in party:
    https://acltv.com/

VealCutlet likes this.
  18. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    Kansas: Miracles Out of Nowhere
    It Might Get Loud
    Lemmy: 49% motherfu@#$%, 51% Son of a bit#$

VealCutlet likes this.
  19. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier-Meister

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
    I watched a good one on AXS TV the other night. Every Night's Saturday Night its about the the career of Bobby Keys. He played with alot of great acts.

Brocephus likes this.
  20. daemon

daemon Squier Talker

Jan 3, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Interesting, here in the states they're mostly known for "Don't Go", but the first two albums were mainstays of my college years. Adding that video to the watch list!

VealCutlet and One String Sam like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice