Music documentaries worth a look

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by surf green, Mar 22, 2020.

1. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    If you gotta stay at home, you may as well make the best of it. Pizza take out, beer, and Netflix provided an evening of "virus blues" entertainment with back to back docs:
    Keith Richards - Under the Influence and ZZ Top - Little ol' Band in Texas. Both had history, laughs, and music. Great mix of backgrounds and personalities (even Billy Gibbons has a sense of humor). Worth a watch.

2. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Watch the one on The Eagles. Makes you realize what a conceited douche Glen Frey was.

VealCutlet, mb doug, Ebling and 8 others like this.
  3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Joan Jett’s documentary is pretty good as well. I think it’s called Bad Reputation.

Not sure if it’s on Netflix, but Rush has a real good documentary too. “Beyond The Lighted Stage”

4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The ZZ Top video is TV-MA. Is that for language? I wanted to watch it, but my kids were around.

Some of the ones on backup musicians (IIRC - Hired Guns, Sidemen, Muscle Shoals) are good.

Frey and Henley had a large part in the making. They really don't paint a pleasant picture of Felder and Leadon. Schmidt and Walsh knew who signed the checks, so they sided with Frey and Henley in disputes.

5. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    I'm not sure how accessible it is, (without buying the box-set), but that recent PBS documentary on country music by Ken Burns was spectacular. I had high expectations being a Ken Burns production, but also expected to be bored with much of the subject matter, as I loathe a lot of mainstream country music, but this documentary was an absolute grand-slam home run !! It was as much about American history as it was country music, and it focussed very lightly on the modern, pop/country drivel I dislike so much. They just did an unbelievably good job with this.
    PBS/GPTV has been running sporadic episodes of it recently, and I've found myself watching large segments all over again.
    The PBS documentary on Muscle Shoals was also extremely interesting.

VealCutlet, mb doug, TeleFon and 7 others like this.
  6. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    I'll haveta look fer that one, thanks! Undoubtedly, Country music is an integral part of Merican History.;)

Fer those interested, I've previous posted many good music documentaries here, already, over to th
    What are you listening to at this moment?
    Thread...

7. BlueTele

BlueTele Squier-Meister

Aug 29, 2019
    Waleska, Georgia
    I really enjoyed the ZZ Top one. Netflix has a lot of great music content available.

8. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    The BBC documentary, 'Tina Weymouth, On Bass', is a good un but my fave is, 'Ronnie Lane, The Passing Show', looking at his life in music and his battle with MS which he eventually lost, lots of input from the likes of Clapton and Townshend. Must see

9. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    I'd throw Rattle and Hum (U2) out there as a good watch. Some kind of monster(Metallica) as well.

mb doug and surf green like this.
  10. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Ih, and the Rush one, i think it's "Beyond the stage" or something like that.

Archangelmm, mb doug and radiotech like this.
  11. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    Music documovies I've seen at the cinema this year include one on the band Swans, one on the music photographer Jim Marshall, one on Miles Davis, most recent were Jazz On A Summers Day during which I had some clown sitting a couple of seats along from me who just would not **** during it and basically appeared to be talking to the movie then a really interesting one on Billie Holiday which was taken from an unfinished biography of her being written by a writer/journalist in the 1970s. All of these are recommended if you have access to them.

12. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    If you have Amazon Prime, Sound City is a good one.

Dinomikesr, BlueTele, Marko60 and 3 others like this.
  13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Yeah, there's some foul language, and I wouldn't want a child to hear the drummer describe heroin the way he did.

BlueTele, mb doug and surf green like this.
  14. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Watched the ZZ Top doc, yesterday. It was fun. Yes, the drummer dropped a few f-bombs while talking of his past, drug use.

mb doug and surf green like this.
  15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Echo in the canyon, the already mentioned Sound City, and Muscle Shoals.

VealCutlet, mb doug and Davis Sharp like this.
  16. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Funky Monks

mb doug likes this.
  17. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    I'd forgotten that I recently saw a documentary on him (maybe the same one), probably on PBS. I'm not a fan of his music (my bitty brain just don't "get it"), but I respect his legendary status as a prodigious musician, and found his life story to be very interesting.

mb doug and One String Sam like this.
  18. Barry

Barry Squier Talker

Feb 5, 2020
    Eastleigh, UK
    The Mighty Uke - not guitar, but fun. At the other end of the scale, Flight 666 which follows Iron Maiden on tour. Don’t be put off by the title - it is literally the flight number of their tour aircraft.

mb doug and Mr Bones like this.
  19. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    Yep, you'll love it, I can't speak highly enough of it ! Everyone i know that saw it was surprised at how well done it was.
    It covered in detail the earliest musical roots of the genre, that first came largely from England and Ireland, ultimately morphing into bluegrass, then various country sub-genres.
    It thoroughly and very interestingly covered early legends like Jimmy Rodgers, Hank Sr. etc, as well as a lot of the pioneers that immediately followed, like The Carters, Chet, Johnny, Ernest Tubbs, Patsy Cline, etc.etc. and a number of people that I never heard of, or dismissed as small time players, but were actually very significant.
    They didn't skim over anything, the detail and research that went into this was impressive.
    The whole movie was dotted with very interesting and insightful comments and observations from a bunch of great musicians and songwriters like Rodney Crowell, Vince Gill, Marty Stuart, Kris Kristofferson, etc.
    The documentary also surprised me with how much credit and attention it gave to the actual songwriters, and how that whole industry developed. Most people think their favorite stars are the real talent, and write their own songs, but they're often just replaceable, dime-a-dozen talking heads that the record execs pulled out of clubs, figuring they had a look they could successfully market and spoon-feed to a largely clueless market-base, all the while propping up these new "talents" with terrific songs from a relatively small group of talented writers, that most people don't even know exist !
    But the way the movie also crossed over into everything from great depression to the civil rights movement, and the development (and ultimate sell-out) of country music as a viable business, was all much more significant and interesting than I ever expected.
    Right after the series ended, I walked into my local music store and asked a buddy if he'd seen it, and he said virtually every person that's come into the store has been raving about it! Apparently, it really went over well!

(sorry for the soliloquy, I got carried away ! :D )

Uncle Joe, BlueTele, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice