Monoprice 30 Watt Stack

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by snivlem, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

They're still not in stock, expected in a week. It's interesting that two MP15 cost less, and you'd get two 12" speakers along with the 30 watts that way. Also the ability to run them in stereo. The only thing you wouldn't get is the 2-channel setup.

drewcp likes this.
  2. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    A/B/Y would give ya both, I run stereo fer many many years live, with a SF Deluxe Reverb, an a Crate Vintage Club 30...
    (Sounds great when I got to foolin about with my EH Memory Man Deluxe) ;)

Triple Jim likes this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Yes, but only 15 watts of course, if you're doing it to get a clean and an overdrive channel. I've heard stereo is a good thing. I've experimented with it at home, but it's hardly worth the complexity for practice. :)

drewcp and Mr Bones like this.
  4. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Been off the forum(s) for a while and haven't seen this before. What amp® are they copying with this one?

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

It's another Laney, but I don't remember which one. You should be able to find it with a little searching. I think that's how I found it. Just remember better than I did when you find it. :)

grizmit likes this.
  6. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    15w is likely more than enough fer many small venue gigs; bigger venues is why I always carry two (black) SM-57's...;)
    (Th other two (Gray) 57's is fer my vox/backup)

It DO sound amazin, though, with a Memory Man, when ya git to pushin parameters, twiddlin th knobs, some...:D

drewcp and Triple Jim like this.
  7. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    My google turned up the AC-30. For $600, I think I’d rather put it into a Vox combo.

Mr Bones, Luvs2yoko and bgmacaw like this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I think this one is a miss for 2 reasons.

First, it isn't a "bedroom" amp at all. There's no apparent low power mode (like .5w level), so this amp would be impractical for most of the Monoprice customer base.

The $600 price tag also make it impractical. There's just too much price competition at that point. Not only are some really nice and well known tube amps within reach at the price (Vox AC 15, Fender Blues Junior) but also some really good modeling amps and units are also in that range. If you can scrape together a few more bucks, you can even get up to the $1000 range which will get some even nicer amps.

What I'd like to see in a 30w-ish tube amp head is one with a built in load box and IR loader. This would make it useful for both home use, including with headphones, and direct recording as well as having the capability to use for gigs if one does that.

9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Take a look at the Laney VC30's control layout and features and compare it to the MP30. The only differences are the words chosen for the labels and the type of switch. They have the same type of toroidal power transformer too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Mr Bones, drewcp and grizmit like this.
  10. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Always an interesting move when budget brands start making products further up the scale. I agree with @bgmacaw that the $600 price range is too crowded for a product from a newcomer brand to make too much of a splash.

If they start discounting them to $450, then that might start getting exciting, but I think that Monoprice's sweet spot in all of the markets they've gotten into has been incredible value for entry level products (headphones, cables, amps, guitars??, etc.).

It'll be interesting to see where this goes among gigging musicians who need something that loud and might be willing to try out a non-name brand.

11. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Well, we know it's a Laney VC30 head, so in that sense it has a little reputation already, the way we know the MP15 is basically a Laney Cub 12R. No argument that the price is going to be a stumbling block without, as you said, big discounts.

I found the VC30 service manual, in case anyone wants the details of what's inside:

Attached Files:

12. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    the Head weighs only 17.5lb?!

13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Torroidal transformers can be a lot lighter than the traditional rectangular core type.

Mr Bones, drewcp and Treehouse like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice