Monoprice 15 watt tube: Price increase

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by TimTheViking, May 21, 2019.

1. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I see that Monoprice raised the price of their previously $199 then $219 and now $249 15 watt tube amp even though it's still not available. I may have to rethink getting one of these. But then again, it's only another $50 bucks...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    It's the tariff. ha ha

I tell my students that they better start saving up because Nike Air's are going up in price. The new tariff is going to increase Nike's cost ... from $5 a pair out of China to $6.25 a pair out of China. So when my students are paying $250 for a pair of $6.25 sneakers ... they better start saving their money. :)

3. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

There's this one for sale for a few months on CL in our area. The guy has been asking $200 and staying firm, but the price includes 2 pedals. I wonder if you couldn't get it for $160 and tell him to keep the pedals.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/d/virginia-beach-15-watt-tube-amplifier/6892398570.html

4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "It's the tariff" will become the meme, just as when sugar prices rose a few percentage points some years ago Dunkin Donuts said that was the reason they raised the price of their donuts about 25%. Some of us then suggested watching if the price went back down when the price of sugar did. Hey, guess what?

Prices in fact do -- and years and years of economic experience say should -- reflect what people are willing to pay for something they want.

When Monoprice entered the musical instrument market they no doubt saw a place for themselves based principally on low price and good value. What else would have then drew musician's to their hereforetoo unknown products?

Now, with a pretty decent reputation established they can reasonably be expected to increase the price of their products -- that to increase their profit margin.

In doing so they are acting no differently than we do as individuals. Selling what they've got at the highest price people are willing to pay. (You do that too, right?)

Price has not tempted me to buy one of their amps. Or guitars for that matter. Yes, they are good value, but the particular compromises that they have chosen to make to fit that price range make their products not very appealing to me.

If they did appeal to me I doubt if the extra $25 would make a difference.

-don

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    SoundDesign, Taurus and TimTheViking like this.
  5. TimTheViking

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I've seen that one for quite some time and thought the same thing. However, I'm wondering if it's one of the older ones that has the wonky reverb. He does mention the revers is weak so it's still on my pondering list. I'm surprised he's stuck to his $200 price for so long. For a now $249 tube amp I'd like a warranty to go along with it. But you never know what he might accept.

6. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

7. TimTheViking

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I also see that there was a recent post about this. Sorry for the dupe!

8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Something is wrong if the reverb is not good. My MP15 with the metal reverb pan housing has very nice reverb. It's not just a reverb tube either, because the reverb in that amp is driven and recovered by ICs, not tubes.

9. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I think the price is only going to go up more . probably about 20% buy years end

Kenneth Mountain and Taurus like this.
  10. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Noooooo I don’t like Nike Airs lol too big and bulky for me. I prefer the smaller ones (Roshe) but they’re expensive too

11. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I fully agree with this and there are examples of this everywhere

SoundDesign likes this.
  12. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Even at the new list, if you wait for one of their 20% discounts, it's still $200.

13. MadJack

MadJack Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2018
    Candler, FL
    Yes the first gen MP/SR15s had the Blue Accutronics tank. To the best of my knowledge, I did the original reverb tank swap back in March of 2016. (TDPRI: Monoprice 15 watt tube amp) Ihave read that the newer metal tank was a vast improvement over the blue and most are happy with it, but many still swap in a MOD tank. I think the stock metal tank might be similar to the Belton I initially swapped in. The Mod tank in mine is sweet.

(Note, I used regular RCA cables, as they are sheilded, as opposed to the stock wires. The sheilded wire should reduce any possibility of RF interferance.)

BTW,the original price on this amp was $226, bfore they starteted selling like hot cakes and as the initial sales rush started slowing, the prices started to drop. As the prices started dropping the sales seemed to pickup even more.

To me, this amp is a cross between a JCM800 and a Blues Junior. The preamp circuit is very similar to the JCM800, but the output being a push-pull EL84 and a 1X12 light compact combo, pushes it close to the BJr at the same time.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

The one listed is the new style - the controls went from - vertical to horizontal

1_Z4-G74WVVwxl795Zi53xNg@2x.jpeg

1_FS69YJzAJvV4GSCQ1iBhCA@2x.jpeg

MadJack, Taurus and drewcp like this.
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Pretty much sums it up right there .

16. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

It's always a delicate "ecosystem" because sometimes the price bump narrows the gap between the new brand and a potentially more established one. These amps may still be alone in their "weight class" at $249 but some may feel obligated to see what $275 or $300 could get them. That's when Monoprice finds out how much brand reputation they've actually managed to build.

Taurus, duceditor and drewcp like this.
  17. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I'm sitting here looking at my MP15 amp and after living with it for a year, I think it's worth the increased price. By the way, the tariffs won't kick in until new direct import orders are placed which will not land in the US for at least 60 days.

I used to import merchandise for a large retailer and all orders are submitted with a letter of credit which locks in pricing and any potential tariffs at that time. So anyone who is blaming price increases on tariffs is jumping the gun.

Kenneth Mountain and MadJack like this.
  18. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I'll bet these are even higher by the end of the year. The secret's out, and demand is growing.

19. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Seems like the prices started rising right after Darrell Braun's review. Guess they figured that they're finally getting enough attention and demand to warrant the jump. Guess we'll see how it might affect sales. Still a good deal IMO.

20. TimTheViking

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Still a good deal, but not as great as it was.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice