Monoprice 15, help!

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by RoyalWe, Apr 14, 2019.

1. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Just plugged into my MP15 for the first time since Friday’s gig, and I’m noticing a rather strange sizzling when I play on the low strings or sustain a chord. It’s not an over drive with the note though; It’s as the note is fading this sizzling-hissing kinda comes up, but stops if I mute the strings. Seems like it’s related to the signal being pushed through, which makes me think maybe it’s the preamp tubes? The one thing that makes me second guess is that I have a Roland Cube 20 that’s been doing the same thing, a quiet but noticeable hissing sizzle when the guitar plays through it. Unless all 3 speakers are torn (I ran the MP through an extension cab, no change), could it be the power supply in the room?

ElRey67 likes this.
  2. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Move it to another room (or another house) and see if it still does it.

ElRey67 likes this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

It would help to post a recording of the sound. It could be an EL84 rattling.

4. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Do as mkgh suggests. Would you describe the sound as farty? I had this issue recently with my Bugera V5, so I removed and reinstalled the tubes thinking maybe one was loose. It worked. So, that was my problem.

5. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I had a strange sound issue with mine a while back. Pulled out the tubes, sprayed contact cleaner on the pins wiggled them back in gently and the problem was solved.
    Hope yours gets better just as easily.

ElRey67 likes this.
  6. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    If both amps are doing this it may be the guitar not the amps.

Taurus, ElRey67 and theflow like this.
  7. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I’ve used a myriad of guitars, all doing it.
    Next is to try different rooms.

ElRey67 likes this.
  8. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Just plugged it in in a different room, and it’s worse. I’m thinking it’s the tubes though, because it was making a crackle and popping when I tilted the amp back and then set it flat again. I’ll take some deoxit to it tonight.

ElRey67 likes this.
  9. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    But it doesn't make sense that the Cube does it too ?

porkpie and ElRey67 like this.
  10. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Agreed.

11. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I know, it’s a mystery. But the increased noise in the MP seemed more like tube troubles. I have taken them in and out a few times, might have a loose or dirty connection.

theflow and ElRey67 like this.
  12. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Crackle and pop can be bad capacitor or cold solder joint.
    Open it if other tubes dont work.

13. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    I had a similar problem with a brand new Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive pedal. Replaced the factory 12AX7 tube and the problem immediately went away.

RoyalWe likes this.
  14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Try a different building. Both amps -likely something outside of the amp. the guitar, the cord, the power supply.

are you running anything new in the house? New fan? refridgerator? appliance? Anything?

theflow and RoyalWe like this.
  15. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Well, I took out, sprayed the tubes and the sockets, put them back in and plugged it in in a different room and it seems the sound has stopped. Plugged it back in the original room, and it still makes the sizzle. Think I’m going to chalk it up to the room on this one.

theflow likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice