Mono-"Busted On Arrival"?

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by SquierTap, Oct 30, 2019.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Ahh... But, I didn't use Amazon, my brother... Not this ONE time! I actually ordered straight from Monoprice... I'm REALLY hopin they can just send me either a new tube, or a SET of new tubes... I really hope I don't have to cram this big, lil dog back on the box and lug it to to FedEx or somethin... lol...

2. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    I've bought from monoprice often and had no issues with customer service at all.Did you get a return shipping label in your box?they have always sent with my stuff. I bought a remote control truck for grandson that the charger crapped out 2nd time,I emailed them and 2-3 days later they replied and had new charger and battery in mail to me. That's the only issue I've had with them using mail\delivery. Hope your issue is dealt with the best way for you and as smooth.

3. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Just buy a new set of JJ tubes and enjoy the creamy goodness

4. Guber

Guber Squier Talker

Oct 6, 2019
    Las Vegas
    I was going to say something about the getter. I did not know that the getter will turn white like that on exposure to oxygen.
    Thanks.

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Yeah, it's made to combine with gas molecules easily, so that any air that get in there will be busy with the getter instead of messing up the works.

6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

dang - paypal at least ? I think your better off with a new unit ? in case there is something else wrong ?

SquierTap and MrYeats like this.
  7. Rat cam 68

Rat cam 68 Squier-Meister

Mar 12, 2018
    Mooresville,In
    I’d try to find some used tubes around locally,you need extra tubes anyway,and make sure the amp even works right. It’s nice on a tube amp to switch tubes around to get the sounds you like

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    He can do that later, after he's confirmed that the amp he purchased can make sounds. Right now, it's the seller's responsibility to prove that.

9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Nope... No sounds... Lol...

MrYeats and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I emailed them... They sent a reply and asked for pics... I responded and sent pics... Yeah, I guess I should just go ahead and get a whole new unit... Oh yeah, I looked at tubes, too... More expensive than I thought... Anywhere from $50 to roughly half the price of the amp, lol...

11. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

What tubes? You just need one as far as I can tell. My original MP15 tubes still work very well.

12. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Yeah Tap, let's hear you rap!

Seriously though, sorry about your amp showing up w a bad tube. What a pain! Personally, before returning the amp I'd want to try a new tube in it to see if it worked, and if that tube blew in short order. Now, I'm no tube guru by any means, but I'd suspect that if an amp defect caused the tube to fry, it would do so pretty quickly, and would NOT function properly until the day after the warrantee runs out, then take a poop on you. Of course, you gotta follow through with whatever course of action Monoprice wants to take to remedy the issue....
    Hope you're bugging the neighbors soon w all the "noise"!:)

13. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    Sorry to read about the the bad tube (at the very least). Hold out for the amp replacement...it will be worth it!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  14. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

Sorry it was DOA. I had to return mine after several months for bad tubes. They ONLY ship you a NEW amp. They will not replace the tube even in you ask. My replacement experience was excellent. They emailed a return label and sent the replacement for free. The new one shipped out the same day they received the defective one back. It was about two weeks from the east to the west coast and back to the east coast. Not fun waiting, but it was all free.

15. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Lol... You'd be sursprised... I DO rap... 2 albums worth... But you wouldn't find it under "SquierTap" or even Christian Key (my real name)... I rap under "ShoNuff"...

16. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, my phone's been dead since last night and my wife had my charger in the car, at work all day...

But I contacted them and they asked for pics, which I provided... Then they said that they did NOT have replacement parts (one danged tube) "available at this time"...

Then they asked for my Amazon invoice... But again, I didn't order the amp through Amazon... I ordered it directly from Monoprice's website... So I found my invoice, saved it as a PDF and attached it to the email...

And they asked me to confirm my shipping address, which I did...

And I guess I AM gonna have to cram this thing back in the back and lug it to a FedEx store, after all...

Man, this bites... All this trouble over one lil tube... And while @Triple Jim is correct, it IS just one tube (from what I can tell, VISUALLY) ya gotta remember that I've never even PLAYED through a tube amp... So I have NO CLUE about these kinda of things, but I've HEARD (from this forum and a ton of others) that your tubes need to be matched... Of course, that could be a general guideline, or a hard fast rule, I don't know... But either way, I'm assuming that they're gonna want the amp back regardless, so it's kind of a moot point...

But yeah, it probably would be easier to get ahold of one stinkin tube than to mail this heavy amp all over the country, but I guess that's what's gonna happen...

By the way, when I DID plug it in to see if it would work at all, the amp wouldn't make a sound... And when I looked in the back, the tube with the white "frost" wasn't glowing...

Another thing, they said they be happy to "create an RMA and get a replacement lined up" for me...

But before yesterday I had never heard the term "RMA"... Does EVERYBODY know that term, except me?

17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Question, Tim; How did you actually go about returning the amp? Did you box it up in it's original box and take it somewhere? If so, where?

Sorry, but I've never had to do a refund/return and I have NO IDEA how it works, man...

18. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Power tubes should be matched (pair, quad, etc) in general. That's not a power tube though.

19. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    An RMA (return merchandise authorization) is a numbered authorization provided by a mail-order merchant to permit the return of a product. Most mail-order businesses have a policy concerning returns. Some companies allow only defective products to be returned; others allow any software to be returned if it is unopened. To return a defective product, a typical process is:

• First, the customer must call the technical support office and speak with a technician. The technician helps to determine whether the product is indeed defective. This usually involves the customer answering several questions and following the technician's directions for testing the product in question. If the technician feels that the product is defective, the technician issues an RMA. This process is especially important concerning software. Most merchants do not allow the return of software unless the packaging is unopened. This policy prevents software piracy . Some merchants allow the customer to send an e-mail message requesting an RMA instead of having to call.
    • Secondly, the customer must write the RMA number on the outside of the box that the product is being shipped in. It is important to mail all the original boxes, manuals, and any other items along with the product. If a return is sent without an RMA number, the merchant can return the product to the customer or charge a restocking fee.
    • Finally, the customer mails the product. Most merchants recommend using a shipping company that can track packages.
    RMA numbers are important to both the merchant and customer. An RMA number tells the merchant that a return is being made and offers protection against fraudulent returns. The customer can use the RMA number to inquire on the progress of a return. For example, if the customer hasn't received any information about the return, the customer can call the merchant and use the RMA number as a reference.

20. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If I were you, I'd just buy a new 12AX7 and try the amp, and if it's still dead, then return it. If it's just the tube, then you save the hassle of having to send it back.

MrYeats, drewcp, SquierTap and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice