Minwax or StewMac?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by JVjunky, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Tru Oil on the left(43 coats) and pure shellac on the right:
    P1030434.JPG

Rat cam 68, Mr Bones and JVjunky like this.
  2. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    Just an observation or two; SprayMax 2K is rock hard the next day. Don't let it set too long or you're never buffing it out by hand, you will need a buffing wheel and compounds to bring it up. It will buff out to a thing of beauty.

Also, SM 2K can be held for a day after activation if you put it in your refrigerator as soon as you've laid down the number of desired coats the first day. The second day, you need to heat it up before shooting the rest of the can. I'm still not totally sold on SM 2K as I'm not sure the finish is flexible enough for a guitar neck or acoustic top.

I have also finished some red oak fishing rod racks with Rustoleum Marine Spar Varnish by wiping on the thinnest of coats, letting it soak in for a few minutes, then wiping off the excess. Once dry to the heavy touch, repeat. Light sanding with 600 grit every sixth coat. It did take a few days (ten) but the finish made Tru-Oil look like a waste of time. Nice hard finish that could be sanded and buffed out.

As an aside, coffee filters as applicators are not lint-free. Trust me on this one. I prefer an old t-shirt for this purpose.

For an instrument, I would rather use a real instrument lacquer, even if I had to use a Preval sprayer to get the job done. I have used Behlens with no issues in either application or sanding/buffing.

Just my $0.02 USD worth. YMMV.

Rat cam 68 likes this.
  3. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Not much to add here other than I will never use Rustoleum anything. I won't dig up the thread, but I tried it on a Mini body a couple years ago. It never worked out. Right now it's packed away until I finish moving, but yeah. It never seemed to dry and always bubbled up. Followed directions to a T. I got the Mini at a good price then wasted a LOT or time and cash on it, I could have taken it somewhere for a professional job.

dbrian66 and Ray Stankewitz like this.
  4. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Meister

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I HAVE USED A LOT OF TRUE OIL ON GUITARS ALSO I ALSO USED IT ON GUN STOCKS REDOING THEM FOR FRIENDS GREAT STUFF, MY CAPLOCKS ARE STUCK AGAIN .

Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  5. Ray Stankewitz

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    As an aside; Rustoleum Marine Spar Varnish isn't normally used for guitars but I'm going to give it a go just for grins. I'll order a cheap body & neck from GF the next time I order.

That spar varnish is not a clear like lacquer or wipe on poly, it is a true varnish. Now I'm wondering if I can french polish with it. Hmm, when the weather gets back into the 60's . . .

6. Ray Stankewitz

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    And I should add Behlens is now Mohawk.

Woodcraft among others carry it in brush-on or spray.

7. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    For heaven's sake Gary, GO BUY A NEW KEYBOARD!!

I have a spare one in a box somewhere if you want me to send one.

gary mitchell likes this.
  8. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Meister

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    i rather buy guitars, this keyboard has had sweet tea spilled on it, honest i probably won't get another one until this one bites the dust

9. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    How come nobody has mentioned Re-Ranch dedicated guitar finishes? They will mix you any vintage lacquer you want and put it in a rattle can if you want. They also do tinters if you prefer

10. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-Nut

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I myself have used Tru Oil before ( Had Great Results) , however have you heard of wipe on poly. I'd consider that myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice