Minor Epiphone SG G-400 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by kcchiefs, Mar 29, 2020.

1. kcchiefs

kcchiefs Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I replaced the stock nut and bridge on my SG - Graphtech Tusq XL 606000 and Tonepros T3BT-C Metric bridge. Whoever worked on the nut before had cut the low E nut slot very deep. The G string had an annoying buzz at the bridge. Only had to do minor sanding on the nut to get it to fit and the bridge fit right onto the existing pins. I did have to raise the tailpiece a small amount so the strings could clear the edge of the new wider than stock bridge.

Attached Files:

Rat cam 68, billyb, Shaytan and 9 others like this.
  2. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
  3. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I’ve thought about upgrading the rattley bridge on my firefly. How does the metric affect the string spacing on the fretboard? Sounds like it’s a wider string spread, but the strings don’t look perilously close to the edge of the fretboard.

mb doug likes this.
  4. kcchiefs

kcchiefs Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I think the string spacing is identical. But I will double check. No more annoying buzz and it is locked in place.

RoyalWe and mb doug like this.
  5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Both Epiphone and Firefly are metric. Good job on that SG.
    Now for added tuning stability, you should learn how to lock those strings on tuner posts.

Another thing you can try, is to top wrap the tail piece. I do it to get a gentler angle, that I feel makes for easier string bends. I have to say I like the look too.

bridge.jpg
    170430 2-.jpg

Rat cam 68, RoyalWe and ToneChaser77 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice