Mini Strat - case options

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Telepicker, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Telepicker

Telepicker Squier-Meister

I have my Strat Jr in a normal sized gig bag, which it flops around in, but just noticed on Musician's Friend a dedicated gig bag for the Mini Strat.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Mini-Gig-Bag?sku=540037

Does anyone have that one and can comment on it? Alternatively, has anyone found a good third party gig bag or hardshell case for their Mini Strat or Strat Jr?

2. dugrock

dugrock Squier Talker

Hello Telepick... I bought a mini strat for my Grandson 3 years ago from MF and it came with a gig bag. The bag is of normal quality for gig bags. It's padded well and has a zippered pouch in the front for cables, pics and such. I really haven't noticed any third party mini bags. Sorry!

I've always liked the "STRAT" sound but never played one until I bought my Grandson's mini. That is when I decided if Squier could make a mini that sounded that straty maybe I should try the Bullet, and so goes the story of one man and how he began playin' Squiers. They're fun little guitars.

I saw a Blues player named Hamilton Loomis at a little Blues club in Red Key Indiana. At one point in his show he came out in the crowd playin' a mini Gibson Les Paul... The guy tore it up and it sounded great. It would be kinda cool to have one of each, a mini Strat and LP.

***JUST PLAY***

3. gouacats

gouacats Squier-Meister

We have that one for my son's mini. It does the job okay, but the front pocket is not quite big enough for music and too big for most of the small stuff. It would be better with a couple of pockets. It has backpack style straps that work okay.

Ultimately, it gets the job done.

4. YeahDoIt

YeahDoIt Squier-holic

I bought a hard case for a full size Telecaster at a music store about a year ago. The hard case cost about USA $ 70. A gig bag was about USA $ 40. I find gig bags are more portable and easier to handle but hard cases are more protective and durable. Zippers can break. I'm not sure which I prefer.

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 New Member

I have two of those gig bags, it works great.The padding could be a little thicker, but hey.The pocket isn't the largest,but I only keep strings and a tuner in there.Both of my mini's (strat and a modded hanna montana[don't laugh, it's great!]) wear well in them

6. Telepicker

A modded Hannah Montana? Modded how? I saw one in a store and it looked a little Tele-ish to me, which got my mind working! Would love to see a pic!

7. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Squier-Meister

I wonder if you could buy one of those larger abs plastic cases for guns and make yourself a hard case for a mini?

8. Telepicker

I had an early Steinberger that the zipper on the gig bag broke. I couldn't find another for a headless, narrow bodied guitar at the time so I got a rifle "gig bag". It was great fun walking into gigs with it...here comes the hired gun.

What wasn't so much fun was when I drove through Parkdale, a less than stellar part of Toronto a few decades back, in the wee hours after a gig, the cops seen it through the back window of my pickup, propped up behind the bench seat. They hauled my rear end to the curb and surrounded me. I must have looked like a redneck who stumbled into town with my pickup truck, my rifle at the ready and a big ol' spare tire in the passenger seat. I pulled out the Steinberger (SLOWLY) for them to see and they were all happy and let me on my way. :)

After that I sewed up my old Steinberger gig bag! No more gun case for me!

9. thewhoissuperb2

thewhoissuperb2 Squier Talker

Coffin Case. Black or billeted. I have one for one of my guitars. It has a central storage area, and contains a lock. I love it because I can stand it up either vertically or horizontally. I'm not sure who makes it (it could be one company, or a bunch of companies) but a small guitar like this will fit in it. Though, beware of the skunky smell when you first open it. When I bought mine and opened it up, I immediately left it in the open air of the sunroom of my house to air out. It still smells (even after a little febreeze) but nowhere near as bad as it used to. I would imagine most hard cases smell similar, but of all cases, this one smells..dead.

10. grumpy old git

grumpy old git Squier-holic

What a great story! :)