MIK telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by msdawson, Jul 11, 2018.

1. msdawson

msdawson Squier Talker

Oct 24, 2017
    GB
    Just picked this up. I believe it's a 92 plywood made in Korea. I've not seen any in this colour before though so not sure if it's been refinished.

I have to say that this thing is amazing. I don't know what it is about it, I mean I've got better sounding teles, better playing teles but this thing is just damn cool.

Best bit is, I got it in a trade, sold it straight away to my mate who paid for it to have a full fret level and set up and I've just bought it back off him for less money than he paid me! DSC_0247.jpeg DSC_0248.jpeg

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    I definitely agree that a Squier Tele that's had its frets leveled and is set up well is a fine instrument.

3. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    I think they called that "Bahama blue"? Only made the color for a short time.

4. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Corngrats nice find

5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Great guitar story.

Your fascination with it, is kind of like the flip side we are more familiar with; Everything about a given guitar is just right, but you still don't bond with it. In your case it is just something you did bond with. Congratulations.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

The CN2 and CN3 Fender-labeled MIK (Cort) Squier Series Teles of that period were basically the same guitars as the Squiers. Here is mine. The color is Maui Blue on Fenders, but could be called something different on Squiers and be the same color. Due to lighting, the 3rd pic is closest to reality, color-wise.

Mine was $100 in Sacramento and had upgraded alnico pickups, vintage tuners, and a slightly cracked head stock, which is fortunately stable, so I haven't yet fooled with repairing it. I added the brass barrel saddles to see if it was less bright.

2015-01-29 22.02.47.jpg SAM_0592.jpg 2015-02-04 22.48.54.jpg 2015-02-04 22.54.36.jpg SAM_0597.jpg

7. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Cool telecaster enjoy!

8. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    It’s that “blue M&M blue”color I remember seeing in a guitar shop ages ago, and not being able to afford at the time... I’d love to run across one these days. Is the body like a “normal” Tele, or is it the MIK “sandwich” (maple/poplar(or whatever)/maple like the other MIK stuff?

msdawson and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Squier-holic

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    M2 models were like the continuation of the E9 and S9 MIK Squier II models they were building in like 89, 90, 91... But with a new logo style/look and without the "II" part... They shipped a bunch of them to Europe but the US and Canada basicly got none. So u see them being sold used in the UK and Europe but not really over here;.. The way it worked out the M2 Tele was sorta like the only Squier II tele made. Since they never actually built a Squier II tele... They did Squier strats but not Teles. Body is thin ply and the necks is a heavy 80's style gloss. 12 inch radius fretboard...

10. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Rocco...good to see you, buddy.....thanks for sharing your knowledge ......willhowl:cool:

msdawson likes this.
  11. msdawson

msdawson Squier Talker

Oct 24, 2017
    GB
    Thanks for all the comments and info!

It's definitely a keeper, I'm just a bit gutted that the previous, previous owner has had to open up the pickguard to fit that neck pickup. I have a set out of my classic vibes to go in it but I think I'm going to end up with an ugly fit.

12. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

What are the pickups? The neck looks like maybe it is a rail, but I can't really tell. What brand? Thanks.

13. msdawson

msdawson Squier Talker

Oct 24, 2017
    GB
    They are both rails. Branded by warman but they are made by artec. I guess similar to what gfs do in the states.

The bridge one is not quite long enough and there is barely any magnet under the E strings so the output is lower. Plus they look horrible.

14. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Sorry,msdawson.....did not mean to ignore you, looks like a nice guitar, very cool color...I don't think I've ever seen one for real!!!!

It's just that Rocco is an amazing authority/ resource here at Sq-T......I just wanted to say Hello!!! to him......Sorry, I'm a bit sloppy at 02:30 here in Texas......Go Figure!!!!........willhowl

15. msdawson

msdawson Squier Talker

Oct 24, 2017
    GB
  16. sconniesquier

sconniesquier Squier-Meister

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    That’s cool! I got a hankerin for a blue Telecaster

msdawson likes this.