Mental Me and expensive guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Eddie, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I have had only 2 i have sold due to fear of scratching or dinging.A Cadillac green Gretsch jet and a 50th anniversary gold Firebird.My orther mia guitars are used when i bought them so kay sara.

Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  2. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I just bought the most expensive guitar that I've ever owned. It's a Mexican Player Strat and I have no intentions of babying it. I had it apart and was swapping the humbucker within days of owning it!

Now my CV 50's Telecaster that was half the price of the Player, that one I've been treating like a case queen! She's just so beautiful and sounds so good I don't want anything to happen to her.

jamndad, Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  3. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I won't keep any guitars that I won't or don't play. I keep my electrics out all the time to be played. I also feel comfortable playing guitars that cost less than $400. I really have a hard time justifying paying a lot for a guitar at my skill level and income. There's so much to offer a player now at every price point and if you are diligent and patient you can find some great deals in the used market.

Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I think this might be your problem! Don’t toss your guitars around! LOL.

I have two expensive guitar, both Gibsons. They are out, but they do hang on the wall. Not on the floor on a stand. The SG I have had since 1996 and it has never been damaged. They do get treated differently, but they do get used regularly.

Up high is the expensive one, down low are all the rest.

B73DE695-29D1-438E-8FE3-870A4A69483E.jpeg 8CFB73A5-C71F-443F-BCA3-436DF1662337.jpeg

Davey, jjudas, Best1989 and 3 others like this.
  5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I have no case queens. I had one but it is now out. It is my very vintage 5064. Mostly it stayed in the case because I rarely play acoustic any more.

I do not purposefully abuse any guitar, nor am I careless with them beyond their use. I am however stroke damaged, CHF clumsy and fall far too frequently. Knock wood, only a couple have been knocked to the floor. By the same token, my guitars and grandkids are pretty much my activity and entertainment (with a nod to S-T). Most all my guitars have been purchased at $100 or less, a few $200 or less and 2-3 in the $250 range. So. I don't get bent out of shape if one does get dinged. They are my toys. They are for use, either playing or modding or both. My son and grandkids get them when I'm gone, so they know what they're getting.

radiotech, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I picked up two cheapo acoustics lately. I'm actually pretty happy about it. Less than $100 for both of them. One is coming to school with me.

I still want a Gibby Explorer. But there's really no need. I have a feeling it'll wind up a case queen.

7. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    The real value in a guitar isn't the $$
    It's in the enjoyment it brings to you.
    So go have a good time

8. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Nut

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    I know how you feel, I’ve got a 400 dollar limit on any guitar I buy then unlimited upgrades:) On another note my friend once told me a good line about not using your best stuff, he’d say what are you gonna put it in a museum? Since then I use my good stuff,stay awesome Squier talkers!

Best1989 and dbrian66 like this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  10. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I get what you saying and in a way I wish I was a bit like you many years ago.
    I managed to buy my first Fender Strat around 2001, it was a momentous occasion for me, considering the exorbitant price I paid for it here. It was brand new, and I unboxed it and played the the crap out of it for nearly 15 years.

Today the vintage frets are shot, it's a little battle scarred but the issue is I can't ( don't want) to get it refretted , because it will never be done properly here, and to buy a new neck is just crazy.

I do wish I would have played it less frequently and that today it would still be like new.

BUT, anything could have happened, and I would never have experienced the joy of playing it so much.

So in the end, enjoy and use everything you have, for the purpose it was designed for. Life is full of curved balls which can quickly put an end to long term storage plans.

At least I enjoyed it fully, and I learnt so much on that guitar, which is what it was supposed to be about.

I use pretty much every good thing I have, daily, I'm careful with stuff but I've learnt not to worship it.

Life is too short for that.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Davey, Paruwi and Eddie like this.
  11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Nice man
    If I had the $$ , I'd beat you there.
    Not to screw you...just Nice

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  12. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    LOL!! Kinda the same, here. I bought an American Special Tele. Certainly not a top of the line Tele, but my most expensive purchase. I love it. I'll play the crap out of it, but my CV 50's Tele? For some reason, I'm most careful with that guitar.

13. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Thinking about this thread -- what it reflects about our instruments as well as abut each of us at our various stages in life.

When we're just getting started for most of us choices are limited -- there are just so many demands. So many unknowns too.

None of us knows more than one lifetime, and even if we think we can we likely do not understand another person's shaping experience, hopes, dreams, fears and or disappointments.

And yes, all of that, at least to my mind, bears of this topic.

Looking about even today -- and even more so if we have a sense of history -- we see that 'easy come' tends to create 'take it for grantedness.' True for material things as well as gifts and talents.

OTOH very hard acquisition can lead to tight fistedness -- not just towards others, but also towards ourselves. That "I don't dare use it!" way of thinking.

Funny thing is that we ALL have so much in comparison to previous generation (and even in comparison to many alive today). The fact that this subject is so commonly thought about itself tells us so.

Take that to its full conclusion and, again, it seems to me, that we can come to view things like our guitars as if they didn't have price tags. They are just what they are. And if so we find that cost is only a small reflection of their intrinsic worth.

There are good and great guitars all across the spectrum.

Good people are far rarer.

I really, really love my geets. But in comparison to the people in my life they're really not worth all that much attention.

If I'm not going to case my guitars, or abuse them, how much more so that should go for the people around me.

I've never collected those either, but still... there they are. And for THAT particularly I am so thankful. :)

-don

dbrian66, Eddie and Davey like this.
  14. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hypothetically, if you buy an explorer for $800 and it gets a little dinged up over the course of a year or two, it will probably still be worth 700 when you go to sell it. I don't know of many other ways to get of year of enjoyment for 100 bucks and a few packs of strings. All of the time you're spending pondering over this and looking at listings could be spent playing the dang thing

15. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Sounds like you got your monies worth to me! Another way to think of it is what did that beautiful guitar actually cost per month over those many years. :)
    I bought my first "real" guitar in 78-79, a 77 USA Stratocaster. I gave up a whole lot of activities others were doing at the time to pay for it. Do not regret it for a second! love the guitar and still own it today..

16. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    About $5.08c per month, at today's rate [emoji4]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

dbrian66, Davey and Eddie like this.
  17. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-Meister

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    All of my guitars, whether I build or purchase have a maximum amount of say $400-$500 bucks. Some of my builds play and sound as good as my pricier ones which cost me between $120 to $300 w parts to make. However I did buy an Epiphone V with many gibson mods for $700 w case. Which plays and sounds outstanding. Sometimes you don't feel guilty if your guitars are inexpensive. Works for me.

She's purty. Maybe I'll take her out of the case soon, maybe not. ☺️

img1566408252102.png img1566408327256.png 20190926_112937.jpg

20191009_111229.jpg

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have no problem playing any of em, and if I buy a new guitar, it wont be to look at it. It will be because I really want it to play it. I guess we all do different things. The fun is buying, playing, selling em and trying new! Good Luck @Eddie !!!!!!

dbrian66, Paruwi and Eddie like this.
  19. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I think that if you are worried about getting them scratched or dinged then you may be concerned about resale value. I have been playing since 1957 and have sold exactly two guitars over that time. One was a 1959 Danelectro (my first electric back in 1959) that I sold in 1965 after high school graduation when I bought a new Jazzmaster. The only other was a Peavey T-60 that I had bought used from my buddies music store cheap back in the early 90's. It left about ten years later because it weighed way more than any LP and had a really thin profile neck that would cramp my hand after a few minutes.

So, I have never been concerned with resale value. I buy them to play, not admire.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice