Marty Schwartz aka Marty Music

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by SAV1976, Mar 23, 2019.

1. SAV1976

SAV1976 Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2019
    USA
    Who’s a fan besides me? My playing was stagnant before I discovered this guy on YouTube. He has brought me a long way with blues and soloing which was really nonexistent prior. I’ve been learning his new lesson on the “you shook me all night long” solo trying to get it nailed down all day and my fingertips are feeling it. Feels good. I plan on delving into some of his paid blues lessons soon. Anybody a paying member of his site yet?

RoyalWe, jamndad, SquierTap and 6 others like this.
  2. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    I'm kind of a Marty Schwartz fanboy. If I want to find a video to learn a song, his is the first I search for. I like how he keeps things lighthearted and has a few inside jokes if you've been a longtime viewer. One of these days, I'm going to buy his blues package on DVD, not so much because I want it. but feel a little obligated after watching so much of his stuff for free.

I also like Justin, but, for the life of me, I have the damndest time understanding that guy. Between his accent and how fast he speaks, I have to slow down the video to .5 or .75 just to figure out what he's sayin'. Ya know what I'm sayin'?

Marty's branching out and doing interviews and other stuff which is cool. He was on the 'Everyone Loves Guitar' podcast a while back. He has an interesting story to how he got where he is. He's definitely a driven person.

https://www.everyonelovesguitar.com/2018/08/31/marty-schwartz-interview/

five teles, Taurus, theflow and 2 others like this.
  3. Jackal

Jackal Squier Talker

Feb 26, 2019
    Arkansas
    Marty is my fav. He doesn't talk to much about meaningless stuff.
    He gives you just what you need to know.
    Speaks clearly, too.
    Another I like is Mike Gross.

theflow likes this.
  4. SAV1976

SAV1976 Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2019
    USA
    Cool thanks for that link. Same here I’m searching Marty first above all else

Taurus and theflow like this.
  5. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I have a friend who is into Marty and recently saw him in concert. Said he was amazing. I like his lessons, but his song-based lessons are often off the mark. Still, a good instructor and great player.

theflow likes this.
  6. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    He's a great teacher and, as many have mentioned here, he goes straight to the point without rambling (like many YouTube "lessons" where the teacher basically teaches nothing and just tries and sell their paid material), however if you're more of an intermediate player his videos may feel too slow and focus on seemingly obvious stuff - if that's the problem and what you want to learn are songs, GuitarLessons365 may be best for you.

five teles, Jackal, Taurus and 3 others like this.
  7. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    Whether it's true or not, I read that he simplifies or dumbs down his song based lessons since many of his viewers tend be on the beginner/intermediate side of the power curve.

nomadh, Jackal and theflow like this.
  8. SAV1976

SAV1976 Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2019
    USA
    My next favorite channel is the Stitch Method. If you haven’t checked that out do. He has a lot of playlists in order for teaching things like mastering the pentatonic and blues and basic theory. He has a really cool thing called the “neverlost system” for soloing up and down the fretboard in the pentatonic. You’ll really like this guy if your a jamband fan or blues fan. Smart dude

five teles, Jackal and theflow like this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I watch his stuff and learn from it, but I was recently disappointed with his video about how to play Joe Walsh's Funk #49. He was way off. I don't see how dumbing it down is the reason, since the right way to play it isn't any harder.

theflow and mitch_cumsteen like this.
  10. SAV1976

SAV1976 Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2019
    USA
    Seems like he learns by ear and may be off every now and again. He talks a lot about how they do it this way live or that way on the record leads me to believe the by ear theory

theflow likes this.
  11. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I like GuitarLessons365.com with Carl Brown. His tabs seem very accurate to me, and no wasted time.

five teles, SAV1976, duzie and 4 others like this.
  12. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    He is great IMO. Good free lessons. He covers allot of stuff too. I've only watched a few but they were all good stuff.

SAV1976, theflow and Jim Belaye like this.
  13. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I'm a fan. I have learn a lot from Marty. He's a great teacher.

five teles, SAV1976 and theflow like this.
  14. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I like Marty but he is off quite often ,for example the BB box he teaches is 8 to 10 but it should be 10-12 frets,still good info though and a great guy, Stitch is good too but,I've learned the most from Justin Guitar.:cool:

SAV1976 likes this.
  15. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Nut

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    The B.B. box is just a reference for box 3. It can be played in any key not just 10-12.

SAV1976 likes this.
  16. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Yeah, I do catch myself turning to this guy (Carl Brown) for solos or riffs that I get stumped on after trying on my own. Quite a library of tunes that I personally dig and want to learn.

17. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I've gone to almost all of the above sites, but I enjoy anyonecanplayguitar.co.uk the most. Adrian's taste is more in line with my own than any other instructor I've seen. I doubt anyone else has multiple lessons devoted tot Wire, the Minutemen, or Big Star.

SAV1976 and ElRey67 like this.
  18. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Sounds like I gotta check this one out. Thanks!

VealCutlet likes this.
  19. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    Carl Brown Guitar lessons 365
    is my go too !

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    ElRey67 and mitch_cumsteen like this.
  20. SAV1976

SAV1976 Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2019
    USA
    I was asking myself who is Carl brown? And went to you tube and saw it’s that guy lol. I’m subscribed to him and watch him all the time. He is very good and accurate he’s like my #3 go to just didn’t know his name. He’s a bit dry but a great player

ElRey67 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice