Making a squier sound better

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Squierstrat1, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Squierstrat1

Squierstrat1 New Member

Has anyone put lace Senser on there squier and does it make a difference in sound . I am thinking of doing this and wanted someone's advice. I am thinking the gold lace I play guns and roses and kiss type music .

2. Kid Klash

Kid Klash Squier-holic

Lace Sencer pickups will make the guitar sound different... "better" is just a matter of taste. Before you buy the new pickups, take a listen to some demos on Youtube to see if they give you the sound you're looking for.

Ace from Kiss played a Les Paul with humbuckers, so if you want that type of tone with a Strat but want to stay with a single coil pickup rather than a humbucker, you might consider putting a Dimarzio SDS-1 in your Strat in the bridge position. It's a hot single coil that sounds a lot like a humbucker.

3. Edwin

Edwin Squier-Meister

Don Lace makes single coil pickups without the hum. I think it's a good call.

4. Dan Sotelo

Dan Sotelo Squier-Nut

Is your guitar routed for a humbucker?

5. BiggBaddWolf

BiggBaddWolf Squier-holic

If you want the KISS sound you need to look for a guitar with humbuckers.

6. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

I'm not sure that is the best pickup choice. You might want to consider a full size traditional humbucker.

7. Dan Sotelo

Dan Sotelo Squier-Nut

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  8. stratphobic

stratphobic Squier-holic

Gold lace sensors won't get you the sound you want. They're voiced like 50s strat pickups. If you have your heart set on lace sensors, reds would get you a lot closer. As others have said you need humbuckers, or at least single coil size humbuckers.

9. DTrane

DTrane Squier-Meister

dimarzio tone zone is supposed to work good for heavy rock. SD hot rails work well and is single coil sized

10. Il Duce

Il Duce Squier-holic

Attached Files:

11. Hermie

Hermie Squier-holic

RED/RED lace humbucker, or single red will do a helluva job. I have Reds in my 98

12. MdsJohnson

MdsJohnson Squier Talker

Hi Squierstrat1!

I recommend you put a Dimarzio tone zone S on the bridge position. It will give a nice rich humbucking sound and also maintain the "clock" strat sound when you select bridge+middle pick-ups which is veyr nice too.

I put it in my Squier deluxe stratocaster and I enjoyed very much

Hope it helps you

Best regards

13. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Squier-Meister

14. slagg

slagg Squier Talker

Dimarzio Fast Track II

15. ElmoZappa

ElmoZappa Squier Talker

+1 on Humbucker.
    You can get one that is single-coil-sized, or if the body is already routed large enough you can use a full-sized humbucker. But there really isn't a single coil that was meant to SOUND like a single coil that will put you in KISS/GnR territory. Need a humbucker, or another guitar with hums. Red Lace's are nice and do scream, but still you'll wish ya went with a good ol' humbucker for that type of rock.
    I'll be the first to also say that those single-coil-sized humbuckers, do the job 90%. Nuthin' beats a plain old humbucker, period.
    Half of Kiss' tunes were recorded with DiMarzios, GnR Duncans.

16. edandis

edandis Squier-holic

I'm just waiting on some parts to upgrade my NOG Squier Std. from HH to HSS. There's some who insist the PIO caps are the way to go now and I remain skeptical but I shall try and decide for myself. I ordered a Sprague Orange drop .022 just in case though.

17. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Squier-Meister

Another low dollar consideration...
    GFS lil killers.
    Best of luck

18. JapaneseSquiers

JapaneseSquiers Squier-Meister

Also worthwhile is getting a used Epiphone Les paul Jr or Special. You can find them on craigslist for $60-$80 often. The stock humbuckers they come with will get you much closer to Ace's sound than a single coil.

I have both a Squier Strat and an Epi LP jr, and together they cover a lot of sounds. Personally, I really wouldnt want to give up that unique sound that Strat single coils produce, so it's nice to have another guitar that will give you more of that Kiss, Zep, Ac/Dc sound if you like groovin' on hard rock sometimes.

And just as Squiers are nicely made versions of Fender Strats, the Jrs and Specials are nicely made versions of Gibson Les Pauls. You get a lot for the money with both, imo.