Maestro Jr Upgrading Begins

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mdparent03, May 21, 2019.

1. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    I got this for cheap with the idea to make it a nice little Jr. style guitar that has a little different tone from all the strats I have. I am still considering what for sure to do with it. I am looking forward to your suggestions here. First is to tear it down and start cleaning it up.
    IMG_20190521_061749.jpg IMG_20190521_061752.jpg IMG_20190521_061803.jpg IMG_20190521_061819.jpg

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
  3. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Nice starting point, I like that Blueburst and the Gibson shaped head stock. I've been curious if the Maestros are ply bodies. I have 2 Epi Juniors and both are solid wood. I bought adjustable bridges for mine, and plan to put a pair of HB sized P-90s in one of them. Looking forward to your progress pics.

4. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I had a double-cut Maestro for about 2 days recently. It wasn't ply, but it would have been better as plywood. Whatever the body was made out of was so soft that just handling it "normally" instead of delicately caused the finish to crack.

5. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I’d throw in a dogear P90 and an adjustable bridge and call it done. :D

6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I can’t wait to see what you do with this. I have finally reached my limit of Strats I think, so I was looking at what I might tackle next, and this very guitar is kind of what I was thinking. Keep us updated on what is good and what is bad.

Robb and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I have this same guitar. My son's roommate gave it to me. I'm thinking of setting the action for slide guitar. I have an old, Carvin Super Distortion pickup I might solder in.

Robb, so1om, Kenneth Mountain and 2 others like this.
  8. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    DSCN3020-001.JPG You gotta throw in a "dog", 500's, cap, and tuners, to make a legit Jr out of a Maestro...………...and spend about an hour taming those bleepin' fret ends. Necks are chunky, rosewood is dark, and white is hard to find. Got the original gig bag, and this one was hardly touched.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  9. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    How do you get a dogear p90 to cover a humbucker hole?

Robb, dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    You have to widen the hole slightly with a dremel. There will be a small gap at the top and bottom of the route but it's barely visible.

Robb, daan, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  11. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    I bought some shims from Lollar pickups, one is slightly oversized, and covers any rout blemishes nicely.

12. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    If you're not hung up on the dogear look I really like the HB size GFS Mean 90 I put in an Epi SG Junior

If you like the feel and balance maybe some better vintage style tuners, if you think the neck is a little light a set of Grovers

Spend some time making sure the frets are level and smooth, finish the back of the neck to your liking, and I'm not familiar with Maestros but it probably could use a better nut or at least some fitting. If the bridge is similar to an Epi it should work just fine. I'd recommend the original style over the any aftermarket "fully adjustable" styles- the inexpensive ones are usually "off" one way or the other and really good ones more money than the guitar

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  13. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Those are really nice!

14. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I bought a Maestro Jr. a little over a year ago for $55.00 from Walmart. I replaced the tuners, put in a GFS Fat Pat humbucker and a compensated bridge. It sounds great. I put heavy strings in it and play it in open D tuning.

Maestro SG.jpg

15. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    I got the stickers and glue off and it looks pretty good. One paint chip on the bottom that I will touch up with nail polish.
    IMG_20190522_061143.jpg IMG_20190522_061320.jpg

16. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    I wonder how this bridge would look on my Meastro? Does anybody here have a Yamaha Revstar that can speak about it?
    revstar_bridge.jpg

17. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Yamaha and Vox wraparound are art pieces, but more expensive than what your Jr cost you. The lighning bolt you have is a keeper. It intonates well if you take the time to do it properly and I love the minimalist look. I went for adjustable bridges on a few of mine, always to come back to the lighning bolt.

Is the neck fat on it as one mentionned ? Probably maple too. Go over the back with Scotch Bride to give it a nice smooth velvety feel. Once you try that, you'll do it to every other guitar you own. Takes 5 minutes and is reversible if you ever want shiny again.

One pretty good P94 (humbucker size P90ish pup) is the Alnico 5 from Guitar Madness. They seem to be out of bridge only in this, but the set only $38. You would have two different ones to try, 7.1k and 7.9k.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=283346379729

18. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    @DrBeGood thanks for the info. I think that even if I wanted to stick with the basic bridge piece that the G string saddle point is meant for a wound string like an acoustic and wont intonate correctly with 10's on it. The one that it came with is looking pretty bad too. I would have to buy another one anyways. I already know that the parts I will be buying will probably triple the price of the guitar itself. That doesn't really matter too much. The four things that need replaced for sure are the tuners, nut, bridge and pickup.

The neck on this thing is very chunky. I would consider it a deep D shape. I am going to buff it with some scotchbrite pad on the back and level and polish the frets. The frets are very small and thin as well. The edges of which are not that bad but will need a little attention. The fret board edge looks as if it has black binding on it as well. Or possibly painted black.

The P90 in a humbucker size would probably be the best choice for me. I have a couple options in mind for that as well. I have been wanting to try a Kent Armstrong version for a long time. This might be the right candidate for it. ;)

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Robb like this.
  19. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2019
    Germany
    I've put Gotoh 510UB on every Junior/Special guitar I had....
    even if it doubled the value of some
    Gotoh 510UB.jpg Gotoh Bridge.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    Now that is very sweet! I like the look of that one alot. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice