M*A*S*H - tribute Stratocaster.

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Las Palmas Norte, Aug 10, 2019.

1. This idea has been rolling around in my head for sometime now. A novel then movie that became a very successful TV show from 1972 to '83. I watched 'em all thru those years and loved every episode. It touched on many topics from the best humor to the gut wrenching horrors of the Korean war.
    One has nothing to do with the other, but here is my M*A*S*H tribute Stratocaster.
    No decals … all paint.

MASH-01.jpg
    MASH-02.jpg

MASH-03.jpg

MASH-04.jpg

It's a ways from finish. A satin clear to seal the paint and black hardware will complete the look. It would be cool to get autographs from the cast although that's very highly unlikely.

Cheers, Barrie.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. sconniesquier

sconniesquier Squier-Meister

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Super cool! Korean War though.

Caddy, JurnyWannaBe, Flying Z and 4 others like this.
  3. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Freaking sweet! You should think of painting the hardware brown or dark green to really complete the look. Loved the show too. I remember going to a large block party for the final episode. It was a big deal!

4. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Police Action. Truman never asked Congress for declaration of war but my brother-in-laws Father said most definitely a war. He still wakes up in the middle of the night with nightmares.
    Cool idea. Loved the show but didn’t really like the movie.
    I think it’s * between the letters isn’t it ?

5. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Where did you find the paint ? Almost perfect olive drab.

6. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    that is way cool - I always loved that show!

7. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Cool concept. Nicely done.

9. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    I thought of this when I saw your picture 41121-S000027340-10.jpg

5ofeight, horax, duggerh and 10 others like this.
  10. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    I remember watching Mash and Barney Miller Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with my old man when I was a kid

SquierTap, horax, duggerh and 7 others like this.
  11. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    This is very cool and looking forward to seeing it finished. The wife and I always watch M*A*S*H anytime it comes on.

SquierTap, duggerh, mb doug and 3 others like this.
  12. @Bassman96 … painting chrome? I'm not so sure that would work, that's why I'm going with the black hardware.

@John Slinger * is correct however it posed a problem trying to get a design like that to lay down for paint.
    The paint is from the Rust-Oleum camouflage line, It doesn't specify a color.

Cheers all, Barrie.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  13. It runs in syndication on many channels and will likely for many years to come.

Cheers, Barrie.

14. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I think it would work best over the matte black hardware. Was just a thought and would add a lot more work to it.

Also....

i-a-hakeye-ught-was-hawkeye-over-here-stupid-25295471.png

stratfreak, Wizzer, horax and 7 others like this.
  15. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Very cool Barrie. We watch it M-F twice daily on MeTV when we are home. Occasionally we see an episode we don't remember.

I was stationed in S. Korea twice. The field hospital the fictitious 4077th emulated changed designation (#) a few times over the decades. In the '90s it was the 43d MASH at Camp Humphreys. In the entrance of their HQ was a larger than life size B&W poster of the original TV cast with autographs.

I recall hearing the 43d inactivated; personnel, equipment, and mission assumed by the 168th Med. I believe that unit has redesignated since.

Your guitar--what are all the goodies?

16. Thanks for the info. Goodies? … yet to be sourced. Probably from three different suppliers.
    Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66, mb doug and Loin Lover like this.
  17. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

There were moments of brilliance in the show, more so after I had done my own service, but the one that cuts the deepest is this one with David Ogden Steirs. It has music in it of course but Stiers is incredible here and it must have been a real challange for him because at one moment you can hear his voice nearly crack. And the look of grim determination on that young soldier is something to behold:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Looking good so far !

19. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I remember watching MASH in syndication in the 80's as a child. Seemed like a very popular show even after it was off the air.

That guitar already looks like an amazing tribute to an amazing show. Keep it up!

SquierTap, duggerh, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice