M-80

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by gary mitchell, Sep 3, 2019.

1. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    put them nice and low. I'm not sure what the designations mean. I know that the HBs in the base model Bullets are squeaky clean, almost single coil-like.

2. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I have those Epiphone pickups in my Epiphone G-400. They have more drive than the humbuckers in my Bullet Strat. The Epiphone sounds like any other SG/Les Paul as far as output. The Squier is silent, but very clean and single-coil like.

3. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Meister

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I wonder if I put nickel covers are chrome covers off of the Epiphone pickups, you think that would help cool them down a little. How much change in the sound do you think.

4. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I personally think it would make zero difference. Others may have a different experience.

gary mitchell and drewcp like this.
  5. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks but I am sorry if I am bugging people to much about this guitar. I use to play rock and Christian metal Like Bloodgood, Kings x and such, and i use American made Jackson's with EMGs in them, I did have a stock American Les Paul. But when I quit I sold all of them, and bought American fender Tele I really love. So I don't know a lot about stock pickups, also out of a lack of a bass player in church, for 10 years I have been playing bass all but my Lakland i use SD pickups , my P bass has SD 1/4 pounders in it. About every guitar I have had I have changed pickups to my liking. I don't know how I made my computer write like that. I am sort of trying to decide if I like the stock pickups in it. i thought that the caps would make the pickups a little darker. Maybe if I change strings from 9s to 10s. and change the caps, can anyone suggest a capacitor that would maybe clean it up a little. And Thank you all.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  6. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    first, the CTRL key plus the letter "I" will make the text be italics. CTRL+I a second time to turn it off. CTRL+B will make it bold.

as far as pickups, there are lots of directions and options -and people who are more familiar with what you want to achieve. They should chime in in due time.

7. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Again for give me I am not really wanting to put Epiphone classic 57s in it, again I thought they were 57 USA gibson pickups. I heard the Epiphone 57s sounded muddy to most people. As you can see this has to green capacitors in it , I can't make out the values on them. If I would put some Orange drop caps in it how would that help, and what value, and would you change both of them. I am just after a little cleaner sound. P_20180711_141013_v_HDR_Auto.jpg

8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Your amp has two inputs, right? One for higher gain pups and the other for lower gain pickups? Have you tried using the other input jack?

If you haven't already tried it, that would be my first thought. The second, before you go changing caps/pots/etc. is...Can you roll the volume down on the guitar to like 7 or 8 and get a sound you like?

9. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    i will try that, to be honest i have it set for my telecaster.

drewcp likes this.
  10. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    I would not change the type of caps in the guitar in an attempt to change the tone. The value of the tone capacitors has an influence on the action of the tone controls (including their frequency response in the "10" position) but the type of capacitor has a very, very minor influence (if any).

Re-doing the EQ on your amp for a new guitar is fairly expected. Start with every control back at 12 o'clock and tweak to get closer to the sound that you want. Depending on the output level of the humbuckers in the M-80 right now, there may not be as much clean headroom available in your amp as you wish there was. Rolling off the guitar's master volume can help with this, but you will need to compensate changes in tone with the amplifier's EQ.

11. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Yes in the 50 years I have been playing I should of done that. But I was in a hurry because I am going to gig with it next Saturday using my Rivera Clubster. Thats me trying to put the cart ahead of the horse. My telecaster after playing USA Jackson for years with EMG is my first single coil guitar and I loaded it with Pure Vintage 58 pickups. You have to excise my writing I have ADHD and I was diagnosed in school with a problem called phonics, I cannot hear certain Vowel Sounds in words, so I might spell some stuff wrong. But thank God it does not effect my music, I have decided to leave the stock pickups in it and work with them, but I am changing the strings. I am a blues player when I am not in church. So I think I will puts some 10s on it. , In church i use my Telecaster and play clean, I use 10s flat wound strings on it. When I was playing heavy metal with my Jacksons I used 9s on it they worked good with the Floyd Rose. Am i making sense at all for a old 68 year old man.

so1om and drewcp like this.
  12. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Something that bugs me, I cannot find any specs on the humbuckers in this guitar. They have know name are anything there is know mag glued to the bottom. They are probably ceramic mags, and they are probably made where the guitar was made in Indonesia. Probably made in the same factory where Epiphone pickups are made I don't know, my M-80 was made according to serial number in 2005. I know the master series have Duncan Design pickups, but I have know idea where my special pickups are made. I am just the guy who likes to find out everything about my guitars I can. But I only own 3 guitars now. My American Fender Telecaster, the M-80 special I just got a few days ago because I wanted a guitar with humbuckers and I have an acoustic Epiphone Masterbilt. But you must think i am crazy trying to get all the info I can. You guys are awesome best forum I have ever been apart of. 67586636_499645470603798_995889726374281216_o.jpg

13. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I tried the Epiphone 57 pickups , the stock Fenders if they are blow them away. So guess which ones I am keeping in.

drewcp likes this.
  14. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I have played the stock pickups in my M80, and have decided they suck, just to much treble for me. I even set the pickups as low as they can go, then I put a set of 10s on it still to much treble. I think i am going to sell the Epiphone Classic 57s my brother sent me, and the Fender pickups if I can are maybe keep them, and put something else in it, I like alnico mag better then ceramic.

15. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Epiphone 57 CH’s have AlNiCo 5 magnets. They are the same that came in my Broadway. I replaced them with Gibson 57 Classics, which are AlNiCo 2 magnets. If you don’t want to pay the price of Gibson, I recommend Tonerider AC2 humbuckers. I have them in another guitar. They are nice pup’s.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    gary mitchell and drewcp like this.
  16. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    I used to own this M80. It has Duncan Designed pickups and satin hardware. But I could not bond with it and sold it. I probably should have kept it, knowing what I know now.

I learned something about humbuckers. On my Epiphone Joe Pass, the stock pickups were dull and lifeless. I removed the six pole screws. It is still humbucking but now sounds very Gretsch like. It is clearer with slightly lower output and the mod is completely reversable... and free! The technical aspect is that removing steel pole pieces from one winding lowers it's inductance.

[​IMG]

CVSteve likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice