M-80

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by gary mitchell, Sep 3, 2019.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier Talker

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I just traded an old Boss DD-3 delay for a sort of rare Squire. Its called a Fender Squire M-80 2 humbuckers. In very good condition, I have never seen one before. The pickups suck in it and I am going to change them. The neck is awesome you can really shred on it. I have a set of Gibson Classic 57s I might put in it. Have anyone ever heard of this guitar They made 2 different models, one is call an M-80 , one is called a M-80 Master series with a neck try design and Seymour Design pickups, and mine. My guitar is just called a M-80 it has a Bolt on neck, with know name pickups. They sort of remind me of Fenders Atomic hum buckers. The picture I got off the internet. But it is just like and same color. s-l1600.jpg

2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    One of these have long been on my radar.....

Fender Atomic HBs are pretty pretty hot and have adjustable pole pieces on one of the coils. Do these have adjustment on any? I can't tell. I think they are the standard run-of-the-mill pickups.

I personally like most of the HBs in Squier as they are hot enough and HB enough.

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Great looking guitar, I've been wanting one.

4. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I made a guess what hum buckers they were. and they are to hot for me and sound terrible. If I want them hot I will use my amp, I use a Rivera Clubster Royale 50 watt 112. The clean is like a Fender Twin maybe and according to Paul Rivera the dirty channel is like a Fender Bassman. But I can tell you something that M-80 has a super fast neck. My other guitar is an American Telecaster I loaded with Pure vintage 58s. And just for throw in the car and play around with the guys , I use a Blackstar id 30 , And thats why I wanted the Squire I also play a lot of bass guitar a lot. 61802402_300540760898174_5656814564143005696_o.jpg Unknown.jpeg I also play bass

5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Fortunately the sizing is an easy swap for the humbuckers you prefer. The in the guitar are pretty common, toss them in the case should you sell and the next owner can have original.

I believe these Squiers were made at the same place, same line as the Guilds at the time. Someone more knowledgeable will likely chime in.

gary mitchell and JoeInMichigan like this.
  6. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Cool find! The M-80's are both from The Master Series. Yours is actually the M-80 Special, w the bolt on neck and bare humbuckers. The M-80 model has a set neck and Duncan Designed humbuckers w satin finished metal covers. Let us know how it sounds w the new Pups!

drewcp likes this.
  7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I've been stalking these for years... I'd LOVE to find one at a decent price... I've never been a Les Paul fan, and after that "Play Authentic" video and the bulldozer video, I'll NEVER buy a Gibson... I'm not even sure if I'm cool with Epiphone after that... But in my mind, the M-80 would be a perfect alternative for me AND it's a Squier...

drewcp and gearobsessed like this.
  8. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Hey, @gary mitchell - I was looking at your pics. What's that Firebird-ish looking guitar on the end w the natural finish, reverse headstock and smallish looking HB's?

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Yep, I love my M-80! When I downsized, I decided to keep only 2 guitars. I chose my PRS and my trusty M-80. I actually liked the original pickups on mine. They were really clean and articulate. I would have kept my bridge pup, but I was sent a demo custom wound Damask Metal humbucker to try out and the M-80 was the only guitar I had around to host it. I also replaced all the pots with a no-load tone pot for the bridge to bypass the tone circuit. I kept the neck in because I really liked it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy your new toy!

gary mitchell, ElRey67 and Loin Lover like this.
  10. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Welcome to ST. Those are from the Series 24 series, 24.75" scale.

I've had two M-77s, both wonderful instruments with set neck and DD humbuckers. Their lineage traces to Guild and DeArmond. With a single cut they were often called a Squier Les Paul. I couldn't disagree more. They are blues monsters.

I just gave my burst M-77 to my cousin. He has played VFW / Am Legion type venues and private parties for 40 years. He loved the neck and couldn't believe I did the set up. I must have accidentally got it right. ;)

gary mitchell likes this.
  11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    welcome to S-T. Good looking Squier and other guitars.

12. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Welcome to ST! I hope to come across one of these in the wild one of these days!

13. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    http://www.squierwiki.com/Master-Series

Not sure why M-80s not included in Series 24 w the other M- prefix guitars. Maybe since all the Master Series guitars could be claimed to be pure Fender designs?
    M-77s are nice! I don't think I've ever even seen a used one up for sale anywhere.

14. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Nut

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Ah, the M-80. Wish I can find one in the future.

HNGD!

15. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    A friend made that from a kit for me, but we could never keep from buzzing a couple of frets, we tried everything still couldn't get it completely stop. So I bought from Stewmac a deal that covered the nut and raised the strings and adjusted the bridge, and I am using it as a lap steel, the pickups are mini type Firebird hum bucker. It sounds sweet on my Rivera with the reverb up.

16. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Yes the M77 is my next quest

17. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I stand corrected, thank you. Sorry for misinformation. Hmmm I thought.....wrong evidently.

18. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Can anyone are does anyone know if the pickups in the M80, I am sure they are ceramic pickups. The only big problem they just won't clean up enough for me, I have tried adjusting the height and everything. on the bottom of the neck pickup, it just has a little sticker that reads LP-{P}G-F and on the bridge LP-{P} G-P what ever all that means.

19. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
  20. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I want to thank everyone so far who is helping me figure this guitar out, and finding everything I can on it. I just found out, my brother has those 57 pickups and has never used them. he gave them to me but I forgot and left them there. I live in Texas he lives in Kansas. They are on their way here. But I found out and had forgotten , they are Epiphone Classic 57s. So I don't know if they will be better are worse then what I have, I just know like I have said a couple of times, they just don't clean up like i would like them to. Heres a picture like the pickups, but I thought they were Gibson not Epiphone. s-l1600.jpg

drewcp, mb doug and so1om like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice