Lotus Tele copy-anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by danzigdan, Apr 13, 2019.

1. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    2F5B3B3E-6C13-47EA-8F4B-932F22795ECD.jpeg I saw this at a local shop. Nice shape and has some serious mojo. A freakin’ boat anchor though-really heavy!

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I've never had a Lotus Tele but I did have a Lotus Strat and it was incredible. I really regret selling it.

3. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I’ve never had my hands on a Lotus, but if the price is right, Id give it a shot. One thing I have learned on this forum is that cheap guitars can be really good guitars!

It looks really cool!

Kenneth Mountain and Rat cam 68 like this.
  5. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    I seen a similar one in a pawn shop, was the same color, it had the split tunners and was really dirty. They wanted a 100.00 but didn't have a amp to check it out. I probably would have bought it if it played good. Well built is what surprised me.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  6. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Looks like a later model, probably mid 90's Indian made. Not as good as the older ones by a long shot, not saying it would be "bad", just saying.

I would like to see more of the Squier hanging next to it :)

7. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Never saw a Lotus a tele around here. I have a Strat type which is nice but the neck is on the large side.

Attached Files:

8. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    Good eye on both accounts! That was the other detail I was forgetting! It was Indian-made which made me unsure about buying it.

The guitar hanging neck to it was a pretty good attempt at a "barncaster" using a Squier neck.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Interesting, for me it would boil down to price on either one. I would like to have a Lotus Tele.

Not sure but I think the Indian ones might be actually solid wood bodies, I prefer solid wood...... just because. I have a few lam bodied guitars though, other than knowing they are lam there is nothing inherently wrong with them and they hold a screw better than the light weight modern budget bodies.

Japanese and Korean Lotus Strats will have no truss cover and a bullet nut, or filled and have a bottom of the neck adjustment. Usually a fantail bridge with a super narrow string spacing of a little under 2". It is rare they have a country of origin anywhere on the guitar and you need to see the electrics. I have several Lotus Strats.

There are a few brands that are almost identical to Lotus, with similar history of moving countries, like Arbor for one. Can't think of the others now

As said, how much are they?

10. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

that was mine ? lol

squierbilly likes this.
  11. Kenneth Mountain

That one's mine also - Rusty Chewy - it's on Consignment - the lotus I sold to the owner - I apologize for not offering it to the Forum - It's Les Paul heavy and shipping almost always kills the deal ?

the barncaster is a body from ebay ( oklahoma ) and a neck from nitro that the dog relic'd - no PG no PG holes, neck pickup mounted to the body
    Wilkinson compensated ashtray - 2000 neck CY

DSC01934.JPG

The music store is Allentown Music in Buffalo ! !

mb doug and squierbilly like this.
  12. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Isn't there a thread from way back on that guitar?

13. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    I was thinking maybe somebody swaped the necks but i guess you would know.. they were yours.. :)

14. Kenneth Mountain

It's original stock I believe - heavy as a les paul - pickups are kinda weak - neck is ibanez like ? I have too many better one's ?

squierbilly likes this.
  15. Kenneth Mountain

I just remembered - it had schaller's on it - a kind I have never seen before - 2 screws per tuner, plastic housing, white pearoid buttons - one of them was cracked but functional - none of the screw holes were drilled or had any screws in them.

found some pic's love the inter web !

schaller.jpeg

schallers.jpg

no threaded collar - 2 screws ?

squierbilly likes this.
  16. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    No threaded collar and no screws?.. how did it manage to stay in tune?

17. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Back in the day (early-mid 80’s) the town I grew up in, had a music store. They had Lotus guitars-I remember a P-bass clone, dozens of Strats (all tremolo ones) and a couple bolt-on neck LP copies. They also had a couple of Hondos, the same styles. I would have liked a Tele, but I don’t remember ever seeing one. I didn’t know the Lotus brand made it out of the 80’s!

18. Kenneth Mountain

You had to push them flush until you had tension and it stayed ? This guitar needed some love !

edit - the back has a flannel shirt stain ? lol

squierbilly likes this.
  19. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    That's funny, Ken. I thought I had seen "Rusty" before! LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice