Looking for wiring assistance

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Bluzy, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I was playing my Standard the other day and noticed my volume pot seems to have no effect, meaning it stays at one volume (and does not turn off). I pulled the pickguard and compared my wiring to a few on line diagrams and I think it is wired correctly but wanted a few other opinions....bad wiring or bad pot? There Is one bit of wiring on lug 3 to ground on the POT which I am not sure what it does. I never noticed an issue when I first bought this and I did have this apart a while as I gave this a fret level and polish. Thoughts from those of you who know what you’re doing?

5C2DCA8D-25B7-4D65-BB21-3E80BCAA08AB.jpeg

2. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    And a close up of the volume POT

2ABC1CBB-0D8F-4C80-8167-640FF4F588DA.jpeg

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    nowhere
    Factory wiring or did you modify it @Bluzy ?

If it's factory, it's probably that somehow the signal from the 3rd right lug on the volume pot to ground on the back of the pot has been lost/disconnected.

Triple Jim and Bluzy like this.
  4. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I am not the original owner and did not modify the Guitar @Guitarmageddon . The inside of this was a tad beat up when I bought it which makes me wonder if the previous owner did anything

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    nowhere
    Wiring looks stock - volume pot wiper might be just super dirty and not turning volume down at all / sending signal to ground....

6. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thanks @Guitarmageddon .... I will try the cleaning the POT and then resoldering the wire on lug 3. On a positive note I love the neck since I leveled and polished it. Might shim it to see if I can get the action a little lower

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

The odd thing is that if the pot were dirty you'd be losing signal. If I understand your post correctly, you can't get it to lose any signal. I'm going with @Guitarmageddon's idea that the volume pot's ground connection has been lost, either due to the external connection, or because the conductive track in the pot is broken.

You can check the pot end to end with a meter, but you'd have to disconnect the pickups (red wire) first.

Bluzy likes this.
  8. Daniel_Doom

Daniel_Doom Squier Talker

Dec 2, 2019
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    DIRT is a big problem. As an old plant mechanic, and going to radio repair school, I have made it a point to always keep a can of De-Oxit around. Give it a good squirt of that, and operate the knob (furiously), back and forth. Plug'er up and see what happens. If no change, the wiper inside the pot has broken, and you should replace it. DeOxit is the best stuff around. Also good for cleaning amp tube sockets. 20191202_200605.jpg

9. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier Talker

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    Test the pot with multi meter when you desolder it. If the reading does not go up and down as you turn the pot shaft then you know it's the pot. After cleaning it then it will function correctly or will still have issues and then you'll know whether or not it has to be replaced.

Bluzy likes this.
  10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    When you go in to clean the pot, also look at the pot from the side to see whether the four tabs holding it together are still tight. If they aren't, give each one a squeeze with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

Bluzy and -r3- like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice