Local music store told me that the classic vibe factory in China burnt down...

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by pfapin, Mar 21, 2019.

1. pfapin

pfapin Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    St Louis
    I have no idea if she was just bullshitting me or not, but is there any truth to this? I cant find any info about it, but that would make sense of why the classic vibes are not going to be produced in the Chinese factory anymore. Glad I got my vintage blonde 50s telecaster in mint condition for $220 not all that long ago... need to do a new guitar day on it.

2. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    That's a strong claim. Ask for evidence.

3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    This world-wide highly recommend, long time forum hasn't heard of this, but a person at a smaller local music store in the middle of America has. Let me think about that for a while.

While it is possible, I would think that enough of us here have enough friends and contacts in the business to have heard this.

Also, google.

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

It's possible, but the old "fire at the factory" story has been in folklore for many years. I remember once when I was trying to get a new cell phone I was told that Motorola had a fire at the factory, so there would be a delay. It turned out that the dealer was behind in his bills and couldn't get any new phones until he paid. Luckily he was a nice guy and brought out a box of used phones and let me pick one free.

Now if it's cheap underwear you're looking for, you're out of luck.

fire_chinese_underwear_factory.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  5. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Fire or was it destroyed in a typhoon?

optofonik and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Heard the Gibson USA factory also burned down!

7. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I also heard that the bodies and necks were made in the USA by Fender and sent to the Mexican plant and then to China to be assembled............

Kidding of course.

But hey, building burn down all the time too, and I am sure China is at the top of the list on safety standards for their factories..

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    That did happen. That's how the Firebrand and the RD series came about.

Let's not forget Gretsch burning down in the early mid-70s. Supposedly people do occasionally wander on to what was once the property and find a bridge or truss rod or other part or two that survived into the ashes.

9. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Per individual inquiries, press releases, and info at NAMM, new Classic Vibe models (and reworked Vintage Modified models that are now Classic Vibe) will continue to be produced in Indonesia. Fender has made no mention of discontinuing Chinese production.

10. pfapin

pfapin Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    St Louis
    That is great news!!! I hope they continue to make those classic vibes at the same Chinese plant... if it hasnt burned down.

11. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Squier values instantly quadruple!

Does anyone recall the story about a fire where Martin aged its wood? I remember it from the early-mid 80s. Supposedly this enabled Takemine to get a bigger market share. Totally bogus.

12. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    If I were me (and thank goodness I'm not! :D) I wouldn't waste any time on speculation.

13. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    This is like when the Korean RAM building plant burned down ... and 1 MB of RAM wound up costing over $100.

optofonik and dbrian66 like this.
  14. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    *fighting hard to lock away snarky comments.....must resist....*

Davey and dbrian66 like this.
  15. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Wait a minute. Wasn't that because of the flooding from the typhoon? Or due to the cryptocurrency speculators buying it all up? Or the motor eating snakes from Sheik Yerbouti evolving?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    dbrian66 likes this.
  16. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Like the one that led to all the bad caps awhile back.

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The Ensenada factory burned down...
    in 1994.

18. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    I think we need to ask a member from China on this speculation, before we speculate. ;)

Davis Sharp likes this.
  19. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2017
    TBD
    Liar liar, Factory on fire! ;)

Davey, squierbilly and Hotrodleroy like this.
  20. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    I’d paid for $250K of Dell computers to be built and that order was stalled because of that “incident.” They were delivered perilously close to a deadline for deploying them in a hospital.

I had another case where my big bucks order of HP servers was stalled just before a deadline because a hard drive maker had a manufacturing failure. It might not seem obvious, but you can’t just stuff a different hard drive into a computer and say “Oh sure, it *ought* to work fine with everything.”

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice