Live Playing: Anyone use the volume knob?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Dr Improbable, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    In the past, I always used my volume to go from lead volume back down to rhythm. I've been away from playing out for a good 13 years, and I notice that a lot of guitar players just set their rhythm volume and mash on a boost for leads. Is this the norm? How does that work for you? What do you use? Any old overdrive?

2. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Depends. If I have only one volume and one tone, then yes, tweaking of the volume and tone will happen. But also depends if I am using an overdrive pedal, or if I am using a multieffects pedal/foot pedal and switching between saved presets or banks.

Now, if I am using a Les Paul or SG with independent volume and tone for each pickup, then I just switch between pickups with the volumes and tones already set for each.

That is the beauty of different guitars, and rigs. Each setup requires some flexibility and tweaking to get the desired effect :D

dbrian66 and Pat V. like this.
  3. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    While I have never been at the level of many of you folks, and never will be...when playing at the local amateur night, I've always used both the volume & tone. I may not change in the middle of songs, but for individual songs, I will set both, relying on the pickup switch for changes within a song. As I said, I'm just a hack hobbyist, not at the pro or semi-pro level of many of you, but that is my take on the volume & tone knobs.

Added into it is any Strat is converted to a 1 volume / 1 master tone knob, rather than the original two tone.

4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I always use the controls of the guitar/bass whatever they may be regardless of any effects or amp.

Actually thinking about it, back when I first started out that's what I did -set the controls on the guitar and step on the DOD Overdrive 250 preamp for that boost. It works for many people, but I have gained a better handle on what the sound is once I started to use the rest of the guitar. YMMV

dbrian66 and Dr Improbable like this.
  5. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    It all depends on what your playing. I prefer using the volume when possible but also have used the clean channel and then switch to a overdrive or dist channel without using the volume knob. I think it depends on your setup. I use the volume knob all the time on my Fender Tweed amp but my Jet City 2 channel amp I can just switch between channels. Just got to find what works for you and your setup.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I seldom mess with the vol when playing, except for effects..But then I don't really think of rhythm or lead..I just play guitar..

7. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Using the volume knob a lot but never touch the tone knob(s) for some reason, I guess it is because tone knobs usually are just too far away from my right hand making them difficult to reach when playing.

The volume knob, however, is easy to reach on most guitars, so I use it. Not sure, though, when exactly I use it. It is just a thing I do when I play guitar ... I guess I am inline with PJ;-)

8. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    Well yes Dr Improbable, in the past I used my guitar volume as you did, with no effect but a wah, and rely on the amp to give the tone, from clean to overdriven. Due to the requirements of my band, needing for more versatility, I had to find a compromise :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I alternate between the master volume of the guitar and the master volume of the amp, depending on the situation. So a guitar with only a master tone and a master volume pots is perfect for me, the master volume pot being fitted with a treble bleed in accordance.

I mainly use the master volume of the guitar to balance my volume level in clean sound versus the rest of the band. For overdriven tone, I'm more akeen to adjust my volume level on the amp (which need then to be accessible and no-hassle to set-up) and sometimes reduce the overdrive level on the master volume of the guitar, or correct the setting of my overdrive pedal.

A+!

9. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I'm inclined to use the guitar vol, as it's what I'm most comfortable doing. I really don't use pedals.

That's a really hip Danelectro, btw!

Thanks for all the input folks!

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    Yes, I agree - like you, I feel it's the best solution, but unfortunately I can't use very often :(...

Yes, thanks ! But it's a "Fake Lefty Dano 59 Custom Solid-Body One-Of-A-Kind" model ;) :

[​IMG]

A+!

11. mechanic1908

mechanic1908 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Ontario
    I set my amp up so it's clean to the half way mark on the guitar volume then I can just up the guitar volume for some overdrive without having to be tethered to my pedals so to speak.