SOLD Little Hand wired Grouchy 2-4 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps For Sale, Trade or Wanted' started by rlh5599, Mar 12, 2018.

1. rlh5599

rlh5599 Squier-holic

Aug 27, 2011
    Sacramento CA
    Trying to sell my little Hand wired tube amp. I built this a while back over on the tdrpi "Shock Bros" forum to see how inexpensive it would be to build a tube amp with all new parts.
    I call it the "Grouch" because it is just that. Best way to describe it is like a 5 watt tweed champ sound at full volume, only at conversation levels. If you want sparkly fender cleans, this ain't it. Not a lot of head room either. breaks up early, has an 8 ohm out so you can get a little louder with your extension cabinet, but it is truly a bedroom amp.
    I have neither the talent or equipment to post a clip, but I will tell you it is a fun, grouchy little amp.
    Amp is 120V ac, Tubes are 12V6, (like a 6V6 with 12 volt heaters)--12AX7-- solid state rectifier. You can mess around with other 12A-7 preamp tubes to soften up the gain a bit, but it doesn't really make that much difference...
    I stuffed it all into an old Marshall MG10 combo cabinet with the original marshall 6 inch speaker.
    I built me a couple other little amps, and this poor little feller is just getting ignored..

See the pics, ask me any questions, it don't take up much room, so it won't be too bad on shipping.

I'll start at around $125. I have about $175 in it, and I'll cover the shipping.
    Might be interested in a tele of some sort, maybe an affinity, a set of Humbuckers, or pedals??
    boothill13.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Man this post got buried quick.. I think I might of just found a amp durable and cheap enough for the truck.. With a little patience we could probably meet and save some shipping.. I'm headed tp Modesto right now,, (evening delivery).. Who knows where the next load will send me but I'm up and down I-5 quite a bit.. If your in no hurry I'm sure we can work something out.. @rlh5599 ..

rlh5599 and wickedtools like this.
  3. rlh5599

rlh5599 Squier-holic

Aug 27, 2011
    Sacramento CA
    Thanks squierbilly!!

squierbilly and wickedtools like this.
  4. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    You know it man,, and thank you,, nice meeting you
    The trip over Donner was all bark and no bite,, caltrans made everybody chain up anyways,, I ruined most of my chains driving 25+ miles on wet pavent...
    That amp rocks,, nice and bluesy.. I might upgrade the speaker,, I don't no yet.. But I think its right at home in the truck.. Thanks again..

wickedtools and Chefbaze like this.
  5. rlh5599

rlh5599 Squier-holic

Aug 27, 2011
    Sacramento CA
    WOOT. Glad you like it. It is a fun li'l feller. Weber and Jensen both make nice 6" speakers, but I would go with something on the low efficiency side to keep the volume down and the break-up where it is.. The Jensen Mod-6 would be a good choice, and they're cheap, too.
    Glad you like it...

squierbilly likes this.
  6. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Yea your right,, low efficiency equals high distortion when pushed,, it sounds good,, I was just thinking more good,, you know how it goes..

rlh5599 likes this.