Like a spreading virus - Another Epiphone LP SP1 attack

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DrBeGood, Dec 28, 2018.

1. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    These were never plywood. Maybe some early Special II with humbuckers were though.

What you see is veneer, but I believe the solid wood underneath is mahogany.

And thanks.

squierbilly and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

I was actually researching that at one point and I recall reading that the red bursts were in fact asian mahogany while the other colours were a mix of all different kinds of wood. Regaurdless though these little Epis are great bang for the buck and fun to modify.

squierbilly, DrBeGood and dbrian66 like this.
  3. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Can't wait to see the finished product!

DrBeGood and dbrian66 like this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

I had a Special a while back in Red Trans finish that was laminated mahogany and white wood "plywood" but I have not seen too many that way. I have found plywood is only a problem when you try to sell it as a certain segment is frightened of it just like grown men run away shrieking like little girls if they see ceramic magnets in their pickups...

Afrika61, DrBeGood and dbrian66 like this.
  5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    My 2012 TV Yellow is mahogany too.

dbrian66 and Caddy like this.
  6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Coming along pretty well. Finally decided to sand the back of the headstock. Serial was not stable, it easily rubbed off with another coat of tung oil.

I had to set the lower bridge post in glue. The hole was oval from too much forward pressure. Filled the hole with wood glue, pushed the bushing in there, let it cure over the electric heater for the night. Solid as rock ... and roll.

19-01-04 body in progress.jpg

19-01-04 headstock in progress.jpg

7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I now realize they are not all made equal. Compared to my TV Yellow, same production year, it's a bit wonky.

The neck plate is screwed in crooked, but the neck itself is perfectly aligned with the bridge. I don't see a problem with that.
    Tuner holes were not bored symetrically. Left row is lower on the headstock than the right one. No problem here either, other than aesthetic.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That looks fantastic man. You do nice work. Glad it’s coming together for you.

DrBeGood likes this.
  9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Thanks. I'm not doing anything precious here, so I don't mind if I miss. When I started sanding down the finish, I was sure I was going to lose the veneer. I would have coped with that in some way. Glad it held.

This is the first one I did and it became more of a trash looking guitar, which is great in it's own way.

Untitled-1.jpg

ChinaCatSunflower and dbrian66 like this.
  10. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    All done with matching amp and ready for its new destination, that is the summer cottage.

Thanks again Doug !

19-01-10 Casa kit.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    How did it set up for you? Did you find something that I messed up? It looks fantastic. You did a really nice job.

DrBeGood likes this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That came out just beautiful DBG!

-don

13. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    4th or 5th fret needed a little hammering down on the low E, easy. Now a bend on the 12th fret B string has a dead spot. 13th fret might be a tad high there. Neck could maybe get a thin shim to get the action a little lower, but it's pretty slick as is. I have a few months to go before it moves out, so I'll see to these slight problems at next string change.

Did you do some work on the neck ?

dbrian66 likes this.
  14. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I had to go back and look at the old thread. I couldn’t remember if I did or not. But yes, I did do a fret level on that. Not a very good one evidently! LOL. I remember it had a really bad back bow when I first got it. It was unplayable really. After everything was done, it was just real buzzy all over. I guess if I’d of spent some more time on it I would have figured something out. Between the bridge post needing repaired and the buzzing, I just kind of lost interest. And I wanted the pickups for a Strat project.

DrBeGood likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice