leveling one high fret?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Tconroy, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    After playing my used new les paul I discovered a dead spot while fretting the 14th fret on the d string. 13th fret is good and fretting the 15th is good so Im thinking I have a high 15th fret. Question is can I get away with just leveling that one frett with any luck??? I have done complete fret levels on all my strat but this epi is good everywhere except that one fret. I will look closer at it tonight but what experience has anyone had doing just one fret and being REAL careful.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Did you see a post about these ?

https://rectifymaster.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118&Itemid=121

RoyalWe likes this.
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Yes. I had a high spot on my 90s Fender Dusonic, it was fretting. I just hit it with a file a couple times, polished it with 800 and never looked back. I don't think I even too the strings off.

corn, DrBeGood and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    Yes but 75 bucks is pretty high and 5 to 10 days to ship after payment. I should probably just do a whole fret level crown and polish anyway. That doesnt cost me anything.

5. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. Im going to use my fingernail file

6. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    If you have a crowning file just go over the fret once. If not use a fine file or a emery board go over the fret twice. After that polish it.

Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  7. Kenneth Mountain

the littlebone is 22.00 - I'm going to get one for a friend ?

8. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    +1

I've seen it from time to time. I've got various tools for fret work, but as above, file gently and polish when you've hit the mark. As with most things like this: go slow and measure and test often. Since it's just one fret, I'd skip specialized tools (which can be dodgy anyway in my experience) and just tape up the fretboard.

Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  9. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    usually I will do the whole fret board but I want to keep playing this thing till I have to do that! I will give it a go tonight. Got all the tools and patients just never had an epi before only strats. I know it make no difference. a fret board is a fret board as long as it has frets.

10. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I thought you were talking about the buzz kill one.

11. Kenneth Mountain

I don't work on enough to justify the cost - but if I did - I'd have almost everything he makes ! pretty amazing stuff ?

12. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    first thing I need to do is make darn sure that the fret is not coming out otherwise it could be a real mess to deal with afterwards. I am hoping it is just a worn fret before it causing a problem. The more I think about it the more I lean towards a complete fret level and be done with it if they show wear and there is nothing wrong with that one fret like popping out

Kenneth Mountain and Conghaille like this.
  13. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Have you tried hammering it down gently. I use a wood dowel as a punch if I do that.

14. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    nope. Havent really had a chance to look at it. Had to stop playing right after I heard it fretting out and will give it a good inspection tonight. Other than that, Im really diggin this thing!! Much different than my strats with the 12" radius and short scale.

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  15. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    She's a Fixed!! I took a small dow rod and put a round felt pad on it like the ones used on cabinet doors to keep them from slamming and then gave it a couple of taps with a ball pen hammer and VIOLA!!! Plays like butter again. 3 64ths at the 17th fret and no buzz anywhere on the fret board. This thing has been sitting in a case for 5 years and was GRUNGY! A oiled the fretboard when I first got it 2 weeks ago but it looked really dry the last couple of days so I did it again tonight and it looks a lot better. Thanks for the tip dude! I was planning on doing that anyway but sure beats wasting time trying to level a fret when it didnt need it. I love this thing! I was going to send a pic to the kid and thank him for the $125 guitar but I dont want to rub it in! IMG_2117.JPG

Best1989, CVSteve, DrBeGood and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice