Learning Resources

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Merv_j, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Just a quick question....

What are your preferred strategies/ go-to's for learning new material?

Yes, Whotube is great, but often not quite right.
    Ditto, Ultimate Guitar, that just seems a place for folks to call out other guitarists.

Music books? I can't read sheet music.

I'm nowhere near ear trained enough to work it out for myself. I know when it sounds wrong, but not how to put it right yet.

Where do you guys go?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    ElRey67 and SquierTap like this.
  2. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    It might not be the answer you want but try and study as much, let’s call it “theory” just for reference, as you can. I don’t mean true theory as to why things work but more of a working mans theory as to how it works. How scales move and chords of a key, circle of fifths type stuff. Then you will be able to figure out stuff on your own. In the mean time, the internet is a great resource for new material as well as instruction on “theory “. This will result in ear training. Best of luck to you.

SquierTap, skypeace and Merv_j like this.
  3. Trumpy

Trumpy Squier Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Western WI
    Are you into Triumph cars or motorcycles?

Merv_j likes this.
  4. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Justinguitar.com has alot of songs that are free to learn...he is the real deal ! lives in London ! ...teach a few things to..and "guitarplayerbox.com... there a couple....

squierbilly, Merv_j and eaglesgift like this.
  5. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Cars I'm afraid!
    1529899633442.jpg

6. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    I try to keep plugging away at the theory, but then you think of a song, look it up and the chord progression fits with no theory at all!!!! Is there a good reliable resource for playing a bit more lead stuff? I'm fine with tab... not so much with the playing though lol!!!

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    My personal favorites are the video DVDs with the tab at the bottom.. Easy to stop it and work from the tab in problem spots..
    One I'm using lately is a hal leanard play along of Neil Young's greatest hits.. 2 dvd set.. About 25.00 love it..

1529912939070-1187253142.jpg

15299130221961881778523.jpg

dbrian66 and Merv_j like this.
  8. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Never thought of that...! Thanks!

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Nut

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    3C81D2B9-35F0-47EF-AE7C-012BB7518238.jpeg I listen to a lot of music and own a lot. I also read a number of guitar magazines and have subscriptions to Guitar World, Premier Guitar, Vintage Guitar, and Acoustic Guitar (our trade magazines). I always read over the tabs and lessons. When I find tabs of music I like I’ll take it out and put it in my tab notebooks (pictured). I can’t read music but I understand tab and I’ll listen to the song and follow the tab as it plays. Then work on learning it.

If you want to learn a player’s lead that's muscle memory practice, practice, practice. As for me and writing my own or playing off the cuff it’s about knowing the key of the song and where that is on the fretboard. A lot of players talk about being stuck in a certain scale or box but I’ve learned on my own that any scale or box can be extended the length of the fretboard and that’s what I love to do. If I wanted to teach guitar I'm sure somewhere there is theory to back it up and I would learn that in order to pass it on, but all I want to do is play.

Merv_j and dbrian66 like this.
  10. spoonbill fish

spoonbill fish Squier Talker

Oct 6, 2018
    Hiroshima, Japan
  11. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I tried a lot of different ways to learn, I bought a course called "Gibson, learn and play" its full of dvd's tab's backing tracks downloadable content but I didnt like the guy who is the instructor, this set now lies in a corner of a room somewhere completely ignored.
    Online whotubes by the abundance some good but a shed load of them bad, Some I use from time to time if I just want to learn a song and sing my head off..
    My main route of learning and has been for the past 2 or 3 years is an website called Active Melody, but at the end of the day learning is all about the good practise we put in, isnt it?.

12. spoonbill fish

spoonbill fish Squier Talker

Oct 6, 2018
    Hiroshima, Japan
    きら
    go to carl brown
    guitar lessonss 365
    pay his premium membership

duzie likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Primarily YouTube.

But, I would add that several years ago I had a really good teacher, a former Chitlin Circuit R&B and jazz guitarist. So, if you can get in person lessons from someone who is good at helping you learn what you want/need to learn, that's the best way.

So far as YouTube goes, I mainly use backing tracks. I try to pick styles that are different from what I usually play, for example, this Arabic Phyrgian track

For songs, I'll try to find a lesson that seems to be decent or just do it the old fashioned way and play along with the performance.

14. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thanks but no Thanks, I already pay more than enough for premium content..

15. waylonfan

waylonfan Squier Talker

Nov 6, 2018
    Wilmington, Il
    I belong to Guitareo.com & also use justinguitar.com. Guitareo is not free, but is a good learning place. Ultimate Guitar is a good place for tabs, etc.

16. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    Justinguitar is good...
    Currently I’m using https://syngates.com - Synyster Gates School. It’s free and has amazing amount of info, and the layout beats all of the others I’ve tried.Highly recommend this one. I would pay if it wasnt free lol

Also using YouTube ,lots and lots of YouTube. :p And I have a small assortment of true fire lessons.

rawdatalab and waylonfan like this.