Learning all the way through.

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by GeorgeA, Mar 31, 2019.

1. GeorgeA

GeorgeA Squier-Meister

Jan 16, 2018
    Thunderbolt GA
    May sound silly/stupid to alot of y'all but I'm pretty much just a couch player and when I learn stuff it's usually parts of songs
    I know parts of countless songs but only Livin After Midnight all the way through.
    I'm working on The Rover all the way through now and I'm getting it but I'm curious if anyone has any tips on learning songs all the way through as some of y'all may (probably do) have some techniques to make it a little "easier" for lack of a better term.

Thanks,
    George

If this is in the wrong place I apologize.

FhPudd, Paul1985, dbrian66 and 6 others like this.
  2. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    I'm still a beginner and I've found that playing along with a recording forces me to learn a whole song. This is after learning the parts individually and getting the tempo up. Also, joining a band helps if that is an option!

dbrian66, GeorgeA, ElRey67 and 2 others like this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    I find it extremely difficult to learn any song all the way through. If it isn't a simple 1 4 5 progression I don't have the patience for anything.

4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I think it might depend on how you’re meaning it. Do you mean learning a song note for note all the way? I usually just learn the form of a song (ABA, ABABCB, etc) and play through the changes. Never really been one for learning a song note for note, I’d listen to the album if I wanted that. Rather I, much like you, learn parts of songs n4n. The parts I’ll learn the most from so I can apply the technique somewhere else in my playing.

5. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I’m a classic case of what George mentioned above. I’ve only learned one guitar song all the way through. And the vocals. This was about 6 years ago. Don’t know why I didn’t just keep learning other songs the way I did this one.
    Since that time, I’ve only learned parts of songs and have no self discipline to keep on track.

6. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I'm with RoyalWe on this. I have never had any interest in learning any song note for note exactly as on a recording. Do it in your own style, not a carbon copy (at best) of someone else.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    dbrian66 and ElRey67 like this.
  7. banjaxed

banjaxed Squier-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    Merseyside UK
    I like to learn a complete song otherwise I don't feel any satisfaction in playing.
    But we are all different.

dbrian66 and ElRey67 like this.
  8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    We are not saying we don't play complete songs, just that we don't have any interest in making it a note for note copy of the original recording.

dbrian66, GeorgeA and ElRey67 like this.
  9. GeorgeA

GeorgeA Squier-Meister

Jan 16, 2018
    Thunderbolt GA
    Glad it's not just me, just kinda looking for some advice. Not trying to necessarily learn note for note (especially solos) but close enough to be recognized for what it is.
    I'd rather know how to play it exactly even if I have to play it a little differently due to my capabilities.

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. banjaxed

banjaxed Squier-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    Merseyside UK
    Sorry I misunderstood you, I tend to agree with you as it is more enjoyable to add some improvisations IMO.

ElRey67 and dbrian66 like this.
  11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    First I learn the chord progression, melody, then any signature lick that defines the song..From there it all falls into place..
    My biggest problem was getting the bridge right on those old jazz tunes..

fattboyzz, Caddy, ElRey67 and 2 others like this.
  12. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    For me, the problem I have is picking songs that are too hard to play. I would learn some of the song, get to a part that I really struggle with, get frustrated, and then move on to learning a new song that I couldn’t play all the way through. LoL!

I think the first song I learned all the way through was Heavens on Fire by Kiss. Another good on to start with is We’re Not Going to Take It by Twisted Sister. Joan Jett has a ton of songs that are easy to learn. I liked having the reward of playing note for note along with the recording. And with each song you learn, you learn and practice new techniques and chords and stuff.

So just be honest with yourself about what songs you think you can play. The more you learn, the more your confidence and ability will grow.

13. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    It varies with me. Sometimes there's only a part of a song I like and so I learn that part. Other times I give up.
    I do like to try to play exactly like the original when doing a cover, which is what I do most. I think it helps me learn variations that I would not otherwise try. I've been finding that Band of Horses has a lot of songs that fall into my skill level from a learning/parroting aspect as well as really liking the music. It's all rhythm. I can't play lead a lick. :rolleyes: But I'm trying. I'm hoping that acquiring more guitars will somehow improve my skill level but somehow it hasn't worked out that way yet. I'm expecting another baby later this week! ;)

ElRey67, GeorgeA and dbrian66 like this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It helps to write down the chord changes until you can memorize them, and label them as intro, verse, chorus, bridge, etc.

dbrian66, ElRey67 and GeorgeA like this.
  15. Paul1985

Paul1985 Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2019
    England
    Find a song you think you stand a good chance of playing

Learn it in small chunks , you can try the hardest bit first if you want. Use different tab’s , videos, lessons or whatever you need to get a grasp of each chunk.

Put a copy of the track slowed down on your fave software/YouTube video. Slow it as much as you need and try to play along.

Work on any problem areas , slow down more if needed.

Practice playing through slow and perfect .

Rinse and repeat until you get up to speed.

Play it every day , try to sing along. Try to play faster than regular speed.

When you go back to just playing it , it will be pretty tight

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. Paul1985

Paul1985 Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2019
    England
    Dude you are spot on with this advice plus we’re not gonna take it is a way cool song

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-holic

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    I hadn't tried learning a new song for over a year. I have just been focusing on learning scales, licks, and chord progressions in every key. I only play blues. Few months back I started back on learning some songs, took me 5 minutes to learn the rhythm to Claptons One Love.

fattboyzz and dbrian66 like this.
  18. ericridebike

ericridebike Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2019
    AZ
    I’m another that falls into this category. Surprised to see so many others. I’ve been trying to play since high school(48 now). Over the years I’ve gone in spurts of playing, then losing interest. Like the OP, I know lots of riffs and pieces of songs, but none really note for note all the way through. I find that I have always just tried to learn songs or riffs and never really learned the music theory, scales, chords, etc... Just recently got a new guitar to give it another try and this time I want to “start over” and learn things right. Debating on lessons versus some of the online teaching methods. Hopefully this will be the time it clicks lol.

fattboyzz and dbrian66 like this.
  19. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    If you can find some others to play guitar with it can accelerate your ability to play complete songs.

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. FhPudd

FhPudd Squier-Meister

Nov 28, 2012
    Pa.
    I’m the same as a lot of you. I’ll practice a song until I get sick of it and then move on to another one without ever learning the first all the way though,then repeat.

I made a goal for myself though about a month ago. I’m going to learn how to play 10 Years Gone all the way through even if it kills me. Lol. I’m not giving up this time !

Paul1985 and fattboyzz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice