Know Your Gear Squier Upgraded

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by mdparent03, Jan 11, 2018.

1. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I'll take one used American Standard please for $800.

fadetoz and Raiders757 like this.
  2. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Meister

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Some lucky viewer got a heck of an upgrade for the cost of shipping the guitar to Arizona.

fadetoz and mdparent03 like this.
  3. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Cheers man, yeah if not for the guitar tool box then it will do in my motorbike tool roll...

mdparent03 likes this.
  4. MrHooligan73

MrHooligan73 Squier Talker

Aug 4, 2016
    USA
    I’m not gonna lie, I been playing guitars for over 30 years now and in my early days cheap meant barely playable.
    I picked up a squier bullet for $119 when MF has them on a sale and dang what a deal. Admittedly the rivers and but aren’t great and the input jack is a bit flimsy but for around another $100 I could easily make it a faithful workhorse gig worthy guitar.
    The one difference with those cheap ceramic pick ups was advice I got here about lowering them and it worked well. They sound much better with more of a gap between them and the strings.
    I am researching to get another brand new bullet or affinity and make it a road worthy dog I just don’t want to blow the bank on the pick ups. I’m thinking $300 or less all in and done. Which in my life time is a miracle for a good feeling playing sounding guitar.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  5. scrub

scrub Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    Fair comment.
    Maybe he could have at least addressed the sizing of the nut and the replacement in the video.

radiotech likes this.
  6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I agree especially since it is a narrow nut. Did he have to shave the sides and what about the slot alignment for the strings since it's not as wide? Was the nut ordered as WIDTH AT NUT: 1.61"?
    I don't want anyone here to think I don't like the Affinity because it's a very good guitar. the 1.61 width nut is just a deal breaker for me. I'm actually mad because I would have a few if that were not the case. I use to have a black one (big surprise it was black) and it was awesome for single line stuff and power chords but when I'd start doing standard cowboy type chords it was just a little cramped for me. I have big sausage fingers I guess...

7. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Meister

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    I've watched a number of his videos in the past. Guitars are his business and this is advertising. To each his own on how one upgrades; here's some of my thoughts on the subject. Buy solid platforms and with mods strive to stay within the street price the guitar currently sells at.

Like most of us here I own a number of guitars and I've upgraded 3 Squier Strats. 2 standards and one affinity. To me, what makes Squier guitars great is the ability to find them, new at times, for crazy low prices. I read and search a lot for good parts and good prices. I watch a lot of video to listen to a lot of examples of parts I'm considering a purchase of. Don't get in a hurry.

I own 6 Squiers, 5 that I've had for over 10 years and I've never had to change the tuners because they failed in some way. You can change the way pickups sound by changing the cap values. Start there because it's cheap. Squier strats come with 500 k pots on single coils. Usually, on Fender Strats 250k are the norm. Unless you go from singles to humbuckers or mellow to hot pickups the difference will be minimal. Your biggest sound difference can be made by EQ'ing your amp to your guitar and track the settings different guitars react positive to. Keep you frets polished because it makes a big difference in how the guitar plays. Personally, I like new guitars and guitar necks and don't shave them down to get that worn in feel. In fact I spend a good amount of time keeping my guitars in like new condition when I play them. I love pulling a pristine instrument out of the case to play. I love finding used guitars I can tell haven't been played a lot and the owner tells me yeah, that's because it sat on the stand or laid in the case most of the time.

Below are my most modified guitars and the prices.

Squier Standard Strat: 8.6 lbs CY05083846 $248.00 (Total build) Bought new at MF $127 silver burst with stock white pearloid pickguard and rear cover. Put in Fender Jeff Beck Noiseless Pickup kit with 1 meg pots (caps, and resister) and Fender American switch. Wiring was done according to the Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster 0101000/1002 diagram. Added Strap locks.

Squier Standard Strat: 7.6 lbs IC030825312 $275.00 (Total Build) Bought new from MF for $117, 6/21/2004, Shoreline gold. Added GFS Premium Hot Alnico Stagger Pickups and Strap locks. Pickups were wired according to the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster diagram 0107100/7102. Fender American pots and switch. Bottom 6 frets on the neck are scalloped.

Squier Butterscotch Affinity Strat: 7.2 lbs CY20713746 $265.00 (Total Build) Bought new from MF, 11/29/2002 for $149.00. Strap locks. GSF Premium Texas Strat Pickups. Fender American pots and switch. Black Pearl Pickguard and rear cover. Tortoiseshell pickguard and rear cover. Brass trem block. Fender American String trees. Limited color option for 20th Anniversary Strat Model.

fadetoz and mdparent03 like this.