Kiwi the neck????

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by bengt, Aug 27, 2015.

1. LeftLaneLargeCar

LeftLaneLargeCar Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2015
    West Plains,Mo
    I think you have misunderstood what I was asking. My mini has completely raw maple neck, where my affinity has slight shine but nowhere near the gloss of my Vintage Modified. Does in go well on completely raw wood? Or does it perform best on a semigloss/flat such as the affinity?

I only ask cause I really dont want to F up my mini if it isnt a good idea.

2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    If it is in fact unfinished -- bare wood (something I think wholly doubtful) -- then no, Kiwi is not the answer. a poly or other finish is.

A drop of water will reveal the answer. If the neck is actually without finish the water will, at least in part, leave a wet spot where it has 'soaked in' after being wiped off with an absorbent cloth. If it does not the wood has a finish and since it is glossless the Kiwi should work just fine.

-don

3. LeftLaneLargeCar

Sep 15, 2015
    West Plains,Mo
    Oh ok your right. I did the water spot test and it wiped off without a trace. So I should be fine with kiwi then.

4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    If you have any doubt just try it on a part of the neck that would be unseen such as where it attaches to the body.

If you wish to do a really good job -- evenly colored -- you will, I would expect. be removing the neck from the body and removing the hardware from the headstock.

The first time any of us do that seems to be an "uh oh!" moment, but it is actually very easy and with any care at all, pretty risk free.

Good luck! We look forward to seeing pix! :)

-don

LeftLaneLargeCar likes this.
  5. LeftLaneLargeCar

Sep 15, 2015
    West Plains,Mo
    Oh I love ripping them apart. The first time was nerve racking, but now its standard after I buy one. Will try it and definitely get pics.

duceditor likes this.
  6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    No, no... That's called "Flintstone-ing"...

BlueSquirrel, Cobra and Dave_S like this.
  7. Dave_S

Dave_S Squier Talker

Sep 15, 2018
    Brisbane, Australia
    :) :) :)

SquierTap likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Sheesh... news guys every time! :)

Great thread glad it's back.

9. Cobra

Cobra Squier-Meister

Mar 8, 2018
    Florida
    o_Oo_O
    And I thought it involved sending it to New Zealand or rubbing that little green fruit all over it.

10. I don't eve use it on my boots, let alone my guitarso_O
    Cheers, Barrie.

11. squi guy

squi guy Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    North Canton,Ohio
    Would "Kiwi-ing" help make the hideous and creepy looking grain on indian laurel look better? Wishful thinking on my part.

SquierTap likes this.
  12. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Sorry, I have no idea concerning Indian laurel.

However, thanks to this Stew Mac video, I've just discovered that you can also kiwi ivory/mother of pearl tuning pegs to make them look more "vintagish", so it's not just for necks (it's around 11:40 min) :

13. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Hey, guys... You ever over-kiwi somethin? Lol... Yup, I did... Here's my "Extreme Kiwi" Story;
    I decided to try this kiwi buisness on my Bullet Mustang neck, because it was paler than the Addams Family... But where I had removed one string tree, and filled the hole, just kept givin me grief... That one little area just kept "goin bad"... I thought I had it completely sanded and ready, but I guess I didn't, so I wound up with this sheen on that spot and little dark flecks that took a LOT of sandin to get rid of... So after one good pass, MOST of the neck looked great... Just the little tree string area looked messed up... And I couldn't just leave it... So, I wound up having to re-sand that area and now my Kiwi job covered about HALF of the headstock... I really wanted to save the logo, so I started thinkin (NEVER good for me) "Well, this Kiwi will only darken the wood SO much, so if I ONLY put it on where I sanded, I bet I can match-up the stain... Lol... Most of you good, SquierNuts here know that if I'm attempting something for the FIRST time, there's about an 85% chance that I'm gonna totally mess it up... Usually with hilarious results, Lol.. But, that's kinda how I learn... And if nothin else, it makes for pretty funny posts to read (and maybe stop a newbie from makin the same mistake)...
    So, I matched the Kiwi up as best I could... Keep in mind, this is my FIRST attempt at "Kiwi"ing ANYTHING, lol, so I'm just CAKING this shoe polish on and smeeearin it all around... My plastic dish gloves were off by this point and I'm just havin fun gettin dirty like a 3 year old, lol... And I read where one of you awesome people here suggested letting the neck sit in sunlight for a few minutes... And I thought, "Well, THAT'S the ticket!" So I decided to do me some EXTREME kiwi ing, lol... I really caked it on, left it in direct sunlight, (even though my wife told me not to... Said it'd be hard to get off... What does she know?)
    and what did I do? I took myself a little siesta... About a 4 hour siesta... Lol... When I sat it outside it was bright and sunny and about 60 degrees and when I woke up, the sun was down and it was downright cold... I got up, fetched my project, and went in... Well, surprise, surprise... Guess who's wife is a damned genius? Lol... It took FOREVER to get that stuff off! I had to hold the neck in front of a heater (I know, I know) to "melt" that shoe polish, and get it moving again... But when it finally came off, I saw that my "it'll only get SO dark" theory was completely incorrect, lol... Turns out, if you just CAKE it on, and throw it in bright, direct sunlight, and leave it about 4 hours, it gets pretty damned dark... Lol... WAAAY darker than I thought it would...
    Long story short; It's all fixed now and beautiful... But the logo didn't make it... Lol... So I've gotta try to find SQUIER Mustang logos somewhere... But here's a couple disaster pics for y'all...
    IMG_20190107_022445873.jpg IMG_20190107_022439017.jpg IMG_20190107_022450271.jpg

14. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Hey, I tried the same black leather dye that I used to dye my SE project (Green-burst) to darken the fretboard on my Bullet Mustang... I've seen several videos on YouTube where people do it all the time... Well, maybe it's just me, but it didn't work worth a damn for me, lol... Looked GREAT at first, but then when I used the 0000 steel wool to clean the frets and fret markers, it came right back off... AND even though I taped off the face of the headstock really well, it seeped under the tape and got ALL over the headstock... So I had to sand it back to bare and redo everything... Lol... And in the end, I said screw it... The little bit of temporary darkening just wasn't worth it to me...