Kiwi the neck????

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by bengt, Aug 27, 2015.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Using the Kiwi process on a surface one expects to later finish makes no sense IMO. The Kiwi works because it contains a stain that effectively darkens the poly after the waxy part has been largely removed by buffing and then use. But even a small amount of remaining wax-like material will prevent an even bond with a latter applied finish, be it poly or whatever.

Car re-finishers have learned the need to apply strong solvents designed to remove even small traces of the silicon-type waxes so commonly used by car owners, detailers and even auto-car wash systems. The same principle would apply here (although I'd not want to use such on any of my guitars).

The Kiwi method is a quick, easy and inexpensive way to get a desired look without refinishing. If one is going to refinish it'd seem best not to use it.

-don

jefffam likes this.
  2. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Right! I need a few little bits like a new neck plate to have engraved with the serial number and a can of satin poly to refinish the rear of the headstock after sanding it off and I'm giving it a go this week….
    I'll get some before and after pics if I remember.

duceditor likes this.
  3. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Dr. Squier

Apr 14, 2015
    San Pedro, Ca.
    I wondered about that..that's why I went with a Pecan stain instead..poly came out pretty good over the stain..

4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Has anyone ever used Cordovan or tan in their Kiwi projects, and if so, results?

5. Dan Martian

Dan Martian Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2014
    San Marcos, Texas
    I started putting Kiwi on a rosewood variant, which I felt was a little on the light side and the browns were sort of yellowish. It seems to be slowly darkening and warming up the browns. The guitar is a rather beat up De Armond that I'm rehabbing. I like the results so far.

6. roscoestring

roscoestring Squier-Nut

Nov 6, 2011
    Dixie, Georgia
    Cordovan was the dark brown I mentioned in the earlier post. I couldn't remember the name of the color. I didn't like it. I've not used tan. The brown works the best in my opinion.

jefffam likes this.
  7. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Thanks

Do you remember specifically what you disliked about it? Too dark, too red, etc.

8. rolloman

rolloman Squier-Nut

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    I'm just so used to the feel of true oil. I've got an extra neck here that I'm sure has a poly or lacquer finish on it. I'll remove the shine and give the Kiwi a go.

9. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas

Awesome, thank you. Are you guys doing the whole neck as well, back and front?

10. rolloman

rolloman Squier-Nut

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    Although I haven't done a neck yet. They do the whole neck but not always rosewood tops. Some have done the rosewood also though. I think I would only do the top if it was the same as the bottom. You will need to get the built up kiwi polished away from the fret edges real good though.

11. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I did.

The neck off the guitar, the hardware (tuners, string tree) removed.

The three areas that needed care were around the frets, both in application and especially removal, the nut (which got stained in the process which was partially remedied with emory afterward) and the opening for the adjuster - this I tried not to allow the Kiwi to enter.

None of this is difficult. The process is forgiving.

As mentioned earlier the process was less effective (very subtle) on the glossy finished Jaguar. Except the rosewood fingerboard which benefited enormously.

-don

12. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    And what's the deal with Dunlop 65 polish/cleaner Don? Is it just a spray polish like a Mr Sheen or a wax or …? Maybe it's not this side of the pond… or I just don't know it.

13. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yeah, it is just those things, but with an especially strong solvent requiring a "don't spray this directly on the instrument" instruction, and a strong, thin-film shine-inducing coating. I.e., not a traditional wax.

My thinking was that the Dunlop 65 polish/cleaner would thus remove all the remaining wax from the Kiwi. (My fear -- unfounded -- was that it'd also remove the staining of the finish.)

Basically it left the guitar feeling and looking just as it did before I Kiwied it -- but darker toned. Just what I was looking for.

My doing so was an experiment. I cannot compare it to other's results who did not apply the Dunlop following the Kiwi treatment. That said it came out just as I hoped and I'd do it again. :)

-don

14. bengt

bengt Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2013
    Warszawa
    I have finally found the KIWI shoepolish so I will defenitly give it a try. I'm going away for some weeks so I'll just have to wait some time to make the experiment. The outcome of it I will of course share with you guys here on Squier Talk.
    I think this forum is a mix of KFC and M'c Donalds: "SO GOOD - I'M LOVIN' IT".

15. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Got in my new F neck plate and have had the serial engraved on it. I've also found a can of satin poly spray to refinish the back of the headstock when I rub off the text. So I'm all ready and will be giving mine a go tomorrow after the GP….

16. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Good luck with project! And do, please, let us know how it goes. With pix!!! :)

-don

17. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Thx Don.

Well it's all done and I'm pretty happy with how it went and the results. I ended up really going for it and applying 4 coats… the neck is as brown as the sunburst body! It's a very very different look.

I'll get pictures up tomorrow. Busy trying to decide between another mint green guard… an off white creamy colour or plain old white. Keeping aged /cream knobs. covers and pup covers.

Anyway pics tomorrow… of the VM with it's new green guard too!

duceditor likes this.
  18. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Perhaps not as good a finish as yours Don but then I do seem to have started with a very light almost pinky maple… very different now and certainly adds some variety. I have another post with some other pick guard options in the strat section if anybody wants to chime in…

Here's the mint green anyway. I'll do some better pics once I've made the guard decision and put it all together. These images show it a little redder than it actually is… it's quite close to the 'burst in the flesh.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  19. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
  20. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Yeah I'm pretty happy thx Don.

The logo has gone from gold to bronze but it looks alright… I still have to clean the ferrules and nut (wire wool I think) back to white and I've still to give it a final polish as you did then wire wool slightly the back of the neck (currently as smooth as it ever was but I think there's a little more to come).

There are a few tiny places where I'd obviously not cleaned it as I thought and I have darker marks showing but to be honest it just gives it slightly more character and adds to the aged impression. Worst bit is on the top thin edge of the headstock so I could always just clean that off and redo that little bit… not sure yet.

Have a look in the strat section and see whether you prefer the green, cream or white guards with it...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice