Kent Armstrong P 90's?

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by RetiredNSquired, Mar 15, 2019.

1. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    In a moment (maybe more than one) of weakness, I've mentally let myself start down the road to an LP Jr with single P 90. Just what I thought I didn't need, another project.
    I originally wanted a flat-board body, to mount a dog-ear. However, I'm finding no joy in sourcing one. Every one I see on-line already has a humbucker rout. Limits my choices to 1: rework the route to allow a soapbar 90 with trim ring, or 2: one of the "Humbucker-sized" 90 (ish) pickups out there. In tone tests, the GFS Mean 90 sounds really competive with the higher dollar offerings, and it's offered in a black cover that gives more of a P 90 look. However, today I ran across the Kent Armstrong Convertible P 90, which is HB sized Gets some good reviews, and Reverb has it for a very decent price.
    Does anybody have experience with KA pickups? Just trying to get some opinions from folks I trust. (You guys haven't steered me wrong yet!)

Big tuna and so1om like this.
  2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I bought a Kent Armstrong neck position Tele pickup for my Tele Affinity. Price was reasonable and I couldn’t be happier. Very quiet and a very exacting Telecaster tone. I’d buy them again.

3. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Mike, I've done the Epi and Mastro LP Jr HB to P90 swap about a half doz times, never with a KA pickup. I used a GuitarMadness H90 (HB size P90) in one of the conversions, which was the easiest (no routing). It did sound good, dropped right in, around $20 (ebay). You may as well get new 500 pots and a cap and give it the full treatment. I've also used GFS dog ears and a Seymour Duncan in my Bullet Jr. I think they all did what they were supposed to when cranked up. There are old posts on here where I posted pics and "how to".

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    so1om and RetiredNSquired like this.
  4. RetiredNSquired

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Thanks! I'm definitely gonna look into the GM. Big fan of cheap!

so1om likes this.
  5. RetiredNSquired

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    'Preciate that.

so1om likes this.
  6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    That stereotype of a Tele sound? That’s the KA I bought. I bet if they have a Classic P-90 it’d be spot on. I’ve heard good things about GM too.

RetiredNSquired likes this.
  7. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I had one in a lp copy years ago great sounding pu.

RetiredNSquired likes this.
  8. RetiredNSquired

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    OR option 3: Keep my eyes peeled for an Epi Junior for the right cash, then just go mod crazy!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice