JV '62 restauration project

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by Tamarindo03, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Hei!

This Thread is about my 1983 Squier JV '62 restoration project. For more informations about the guitar you can take a look at my first thread. Also i made a second thread where i asked about a correct pickguard.

What i am gonna to do?
    • Change the wrong pickguard to a vintage correct mint green '62 one
    • Mounting a shielding and new Pickup rubber tubes
    • Replace the wrong decal to a correct Squier JV one.

It's the first time i restoring a guitar. Especialy when it comes to spray painting, sanding and polishing lacquer i am a newbie. But already read some helpful threads, lot of informations from the internet and also looked some videos. I don't have time everyday to working on this project so it could take some time.

Cheers and have a nice time!

You can see a ugly cutout in the electronic cavity and two wrong holes in the Body because of some earlier pickguards.
    IMG_9488.JPG
    The new pickguard, shielding and the pickup rubber tubes
    IMG_9490.JPG
    New pickguard left and old pickguard right
    IMG_9491.JPG
    Everything is installed
    IMG_9492.JPG
    IMG_9493.JPG

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    BlueSquirrel, horax, daan and 6 others like this.
  2. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    IMG_9494.JPG
    All the original pickguard holes are matching perfectly
    IMG_9495.JPG
    Installed
    IMG_9496.JPG
    Here in a different light.
    IMG_9497.JPG
    IMG_9498.JPG

cool gouhl, horax, drewcp and 12 others like this.
  3. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Next steps i am gonna to do are finally buy the decal and make a Stratocaster headstock replica for learning spray painting, sanding and polishing. Make the headstock replica over the weekend and gonna post some Pictures when i'm finished.

4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Love it! Very nice work!

5. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Looks great!.. The only thing is all the plastic looks brand new (covers and knobs).. Have you thought about aging or using cream color plastics.. For a more vintage look.. Can't wait to see the finished headstock..

6. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    coming along nicely! Can't wait to see the progress and finale.

7. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    This is great. I really appreciate that you are taking the time to document and share your project journey here with us.
    Danke!

8. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Thanks! The original knobs were in the hardcase so i put them back on. They are a little bit worn but not really changed the color over the years, also the covers. I like the brighter color than the pickguard has, so i keep this on.
    IMG_9762.JPG

9. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Bitte! With the help of all the members i learned a lot in this forum and I'm very thankful, so i want to share my work and hope i can give something back.

10. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Yesterday i removed the paint/decal and the staining that the previous owner was doing to the headstock. The staining was way to dark compared to the original paint color and the headstock wasn't sanded very well. Also was doing the headtsock replica.

That's what the headstock was look like. Wrong decal, staining to dark and a very bad paint job.
    IMG_9766.JPG
    It was possible to remove the first thick layer of paint with the decal just using my finger nails without any problems.
    IMG_9205.JPG IMG_9206.JPG IMG_9207.JPG IMG_9210.JPG

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  11. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    For the headstock replica i used cheap spruce wood i had at home and filled the tuner holes with beech wood dowels. Also gonna apply a decal to this replica for learning to do this.
    I also need a piece of maple and something like stewmac vintage amber stain for experimenting with the stain color.

IMG_9764.JPG IMG_9765.JPG

12. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Hei!

First news since a long time..

It is now more than one year ago since i started this thread. And I’ve done nothing in the meantime, the neck is still waiting to be restored. :rolleyes:
    But why? Learning staining, learning apply an decal, learning painting and polishing is very time consuming. And after that i also have to do it on the real neck. I knew that i doesn’t have time a few weeks to work on it after i startet the thread. So i putted it back together, including strings. And since then and like before, i play it and play it, she is my favorite guitar i own.
    So one day i have to pull my finger out of my *** and resume this headstock restauration. Till that point she has to live with that very ugly "JV headstock" i printed on paper and glued on a carton to protect the real headstock :D

But today i had a package in my mailbox from @Kbking . Thanks again! As he ordered some great custom made black bobbins for his JV, he was selling one original Fullerton black bobbin as you might have seen. And because my 62 JV is missing one original pickup i made the decision to grab it because to my ears the original Fullertons in my JV are sounding outstanding good. Below some pictures.

FB702834-9267-4BBF-85DB-744A45B84A6C.jpeg 986A80D6-8C11-4D33-B26A-F9B03B28E0E4.jpeg BC7EB5FE-CD33-4ECC-8E87-76A7FBB7E6F2.jpeg

horax, daan, ElRey67 and 4 others like this.
  13. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    After a long time searching a few weeks back i finally was able to buy a Fullerton black bobbin pickup from a member here as you can read in the post before.
    Now, just a short time later i think i found a Fullerton grey bobbin.

My luck was that the seller of some "spare parts" didn’t know what it is but was tending to a Japanese made one. To me the pictures was telling something different so i buyed it. I got it for very cheap. When he took over the pickup some years ago he installed push back cables as the original ones were too short. But he never installed the pickup to a guitar.

To me all the other details are looking okey compared to pictures from the web. The black marking "hals" on the bottom means neck in german.
    As the neck of my 1996 MIJ '62 shell pink Strat is my absolute favorite one but the pickups aren’t my favorite i maybe gonna install the grey bobbin in the neck position.

Attached Files:

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  14. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
  15. Kbking

Kbking Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2019
    Denmark
    Still haven't installed the Black bobbin I see:)

Kenneth Mountain and Tamarindo03 like this.
  16. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Jep, so many building sites right now :)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  17. alfen777

alfen777 Squier Talker

Jun 16, 2019
    sweden
    where did u get that sqiuer dekal...........mine is kind of ...cked up

18. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    U might wanna reply to one of his messages or send a private message. So he gets some kinda email updating him that ur askin a question. He might not be around for awhile. Or maybe he will...

alfen777 and drewcp like this.
  19. Kbking

Kbking Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2019
    Denmark
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice