Just Ordered a Squier Bullet Mustang

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by bh1812, May 15, 2017.

1. bh1812

bh1812 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2014
    fla
    I must be crazy. but only $7 a month. I have a squier VM Jag and love it, so the mustang should be ok. Played one briefly the other day to make sure the neck was ok for my hands. It will go well with my growing guitar collection.

ElRey67, Hugh, DaveDrums and 4 others like this.
  2. Squireitup

Squireitup Squier-Meister

May 8, 2016
    Berkshire county mass
    Nice guitar. Gonna mid mine a bit at sum point but for now...

Attached Files:

squierbilly, Hugh, DaveDrums and 2 others like this.
  3. bh1812

bh1812 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2014
    fla
    I read and listened to two reviews, played the guitar, unplugged just to get a feel for the neck,seems ok, I have big hands. None of my guitars have humbuckers, so... It will be here Saturday. Glad to hear you like it! Hope others let me know their experiences. I am not a modifier person. LOL. Not good with tools LOL.

Kenneth Mountain, Hugh and DaveDrums like this.
  4. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    I like the feel of mine, and how light it is, but I've had serious bridge issues. I've gone through 3 sets of saddles, and still get a lot of rattling. I had upgraded the pots, wiring, and dropped in my Seymour Duncan humbuckers, but will probably go back to stock pickups and use the SDs for a better guitar. I'll keep it around so I have something handy that's tuned down a half step for jamming along to MP3s. Overall, it's a fine guitar.

5. bh1812

bh1812 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2014
    fla
    The imperial blue mustang will be here Friday. But is it a through body bridge or a top loader? The guy at Sweetwater says it is a through body but many reviews say it is a top loader.

Kenneth Mountain and DaveDrums like this.
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
  7. bh1812

bh1812 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2014
    fla
  8. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Congrats on the incoming !

A few Fender 2017 models, both Fender and Squier, had errors in their specs they released. But yes as already answered it's a top load bridge.

I see that finally, Guitar Center has them. That's what I've been holding out for. I've been wanting one ever since I saw them but I just cannot buy an instrument without playing it first and feeling the neck, just as you did.

Kenneth Mountain and bh1812 like this.
  9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    It was not my cup of tea for two reasons: (1) the ultra-light wood made it feel like I was playing a balsa wood guitar, but others like it and it certainly would be kind to someone's aching back. (2) but the main reason was that I just could not coax a good clean sound out of those humbuckers. I have other guitars with humbuckers, including a cheap used Ibanez GAX70. I played the Mustang on a Fender Blues Junior.

I didn't play it too long and I may try it again with another amp or maybe tweak the settings. I know some other reviewers noted that these humbuckers are not really made for cleans but for more aggressive sounds. In that regard I think the humbuckers should work fine.

As I said I will try it again ... but it was enough to deflate my GAS about ordering one.

10. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Try a set of John Pearse Jazz Light. Pure nickel on a round core. Pay no mind to the hollow-body on the package.

They do have a wound third. The string tension should work well with the 24-inch scale and the tension at the saddle breakpoints should eliminate rattle.

john-pearse-nickel-wound-jazz-acoustic-electric-guitar-strings-9.jpg

Or... shim the neck enough so you will have to raise the height of the saddles and move up a gauge from whatever you are using now.

11. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
    I like the look of those strings.

Kenneth Mountain and Hugh like this.
  12. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    They are vintage design. If you ever try a set don't stretch them when you install them as you would a nickel plated steel set with a hex core. Just tune them to standard 440 or a tad higher and then just let them settle for about 12 - 14 hours before you play them. Then retune and rock on.

They are a bit stiff on a Strat or Telecaster though unless you like to tune down a half step.

But yeah on a 24-inch scale they sound fantastic and feel great.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  13. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
    Ah, thanks for that, good info!
    I mostly have telecasters, but a Sheraton and a (fake) Les Paul..
    Don't know what they would be like on either of those? I don't bends strings much, and prefer a heavier rhythm style, so maybe they'll work ok? I currently use 12's on one tele and the Sheraton or 9.5's on another tele..
    Cheers.

14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've never used JP electric strings but I use JP acoustic strings (phosphor bronze) and think they are among the best in the market, especially for loudness. I know a lot of flatpickers swear by them.

I am looking for some pure nickel 11s. I usually use Fenders and DRs, but I'm intriqued enough to try a pack or seven. I didn't know the strings feature a wound third, which I prefer greatly.

Thanks, Hugh. I may tune them down a half step. I do that on all my acoustics and I like how tuning down eases the tension on your fingers (and guitar neck) while preserving the thick, full sounds of the 11-gauge set.

15. bh1812

bh1812 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2014
    fla
    Thanks, I was listening to Guitar Geek on yahoo and, I am not a mod guy at all, but he did leave the pups in. which i was happy to hear. The photos on Sweetwater show that the black model and blue model have different saddles, I think. I will give a report once i receive it, hopefully tomorrow, Friday

Hugh, DaveDrums and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Huh? I never heard that or read that. Why ?

17. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Saddles are the same on both colors.

bh1812 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    bh1812 and DaveDrums like this.
  19. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    They are not bad at all on a Gibson scale. And yes if you mainly play Rhythm you will probably love them.

20. bh1812

bh1812 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2014
    fla
    NGD

Imperial Blue Squier Bullet Mustang arrived Friday. Been playing it right out of the box from Sweetwater. Not too bad at all, at all! Trying a bunch of presets on the Fender Mustang amps. Play it then pick up my American Strat and compare, then my tele. Play back stuff on the looper. Been very very fun. Intonation is good, strings are crap but fine for now. (-:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2017