Just measured my CV50'S Tele neck

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Chefbaze, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Chefbaze

Chefbaze Squier-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    Ive read a lot about the whole CV line having skinny necks. When I received my vb Tele it didn't seem skinny at all compared to my old cv 60's strat. In fact it feels pretty full, and I have somewhat large hands. Well I just did a string change, and grabbed a caliper from work so I could measure it. It's.85 at the first fret and.90 at the 12th. Now I dont really know the norm, but I just thought I'd post it.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Appreciate the numbers!

.85 at the first is average, maybe slightly above average for many “Modern C” necks, IME. Same with .90”. Thing is, most people don’t share the profile shape as much. Don’t forget neck width as contributing to the feel of a neck. If you ever have the chance try a 50s Baja Tele neck and compare. I can tell you, a V neck with a 0.95 inch to 1 inch thickness still feels skinny, but a healthy C at .86 to .96 and wider width can feel massive. I think you probably have a healthy C, something with shoulder to get that substantial feel. FYI, best necks I use are Allparts FAT that I slightly sand from the nut to 3rd fret. They are .99” to 1.00” thick stock, but more on the narrow side.

so1om, Kenneth Mountain and Chefbaze like this.
  3. Chefbaze

Chefbaze Squier-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm not thinking it is anything other than average. Im just relieved after reading all the posts about the people giving up their CV'S because of too skinny necks. My cv strat is like that, hurts to play after a while. This Tele though, thankfully isn't, and is very comfortable, even if it is a heavy beast

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  4. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
    I think the measurements of my VB CV tele are similar to what you came up with. To me it is really a great fit for my hand.

For comparison, I measured my Dad's 1958 tele neck when I visited him a while back and it was .85 at the first and .99 at the 12th fret. Of course it also has the 7.25 inch radius as well and vintage smaller frets.

Kenneth Mountain and Chefbaze like this.
  5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    That's Bullet HH thin and slim, foregoing the aforementioned profile. The profile of my Bullet is D or even shallower, not too unlike my Epiphone G-400 which is wider neck though. I'm actually very surprised yours measures that thin as my VM Jaguar and my daughter's VM Mustang are considerably thicker-full C to almost U cross-sections.