Just Got a New Mighty Mite Neck

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by kjmac, May 15, 2018.

1. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    The UPS man dropped off a new Mighty Mite neck for my Tele Partscaster today. Maybe I got a good one, but the neck is as straight as an arrow, the frets are as flat as a pancake and the fret ends are as smooth as can be. Honestly, for $130.00, I was expecting to do some work leveling and dressing frets at the very least.

It's just a standard maple V neck with an oiled finish. The headstock has nice grain and it is good to go right out of the box. I will definitely use Mighty Mite again for future builds.

2. Pics? ... or perhaps when you're done your build. ;) I'm patient.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Umm ... naked pictures please !!!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I've also had good luck with the MM necks..
    My Super Tele has a vintage (heel truss) , vintage frets..It was just fine when I got it but I did do a little fine tuning on it..

Kenneth Mountain and 5thumbs like this.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I have the same neck. Mine required some work, but I like it a lot.

You won't notice the thin polyurethane finish on the frets until the strings start to wear it off, which I found unpleasant. I recommend polishing the frets with 0000 steel wool before you install the neck.

6. Good call @LutherBurger
    It's an easy pre-install task.

Cheers, Barrie.

7. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I will send a pic or two later when I get back home. I have the frets masked off right now so I can apply some tru-oil to the finish.

8. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

I'm thinking of trying that on an unfinished el-cheapo neck when I have a chance. Any photos of the job as you progress?

9. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    CF6CA7BB-2D27-4A56-A9D1-4EE13D80A504.jpeg 6D6B25E8-C526-442A-9410-6EAC3A4F00EF.jpeg 47296F32-45D4-4FA5-9DDA-F7F20EBDC1FD.jpeg 92B66003-80C8-47C3-9F7A-D601779AEE51.jpeg Here are some photos. I have the neck mounted and the tuners installed. It fit the neck cavity like a tight glove and I hope to get it strung up and mount the string tree tonight. Then I can spend some time tomorrow setting up the action. After the oil finish set up, I hit the neck lightly with some 0000 steel wool as I prefer a more satin finish.

surf green, Afrika61, Viking and 2 others like this.
  10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I don't normally say this to dudes, but I'm admiring your body.

willhowl likes this.
  11. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I'm all about the tort and natural (or vintage amber) body. If not tort then ivory or vintage pearl.

12. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

VE-ry Nice!!

13. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Beautiful looking guitar!

I have used a MM neck on my last partscaster. I would have no problem buying another one.