Just for Eddie...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by squierTony, Oct 7, 2018.

1. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Evil !!! That's exactly the guitar that I sold back in 1988.

I still can't believe I sold it for an ESP.

3. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    When I started playing guitar back in 1984 (14 years old), my dad wanted to get me a guitar that would grow with me, and not stymie my progress.

I remember going to 48th Street in NYC ... back then, it was the mecca of guitar shops. Mannys was like a museum.

Dad did his research and figured Fender Stratocaster or Gibson Les Paul. He was thinking about $400. I couldn't play very well, and just started a month prior ... but I liked the look of the Les Paul over the Strat. After checking out several shops, we were going to settle on a new Gibson Les Paul Standard for about $400.

Then we came upon a shop with a beautiful pre-owned alpine white Gibson Les Paul Custom. New LPC's were going for about $800 at the time. This one wasn't priced great, but we walked away with it for $600 with hard shell case.

I loved the guitar, but didn't really appreciate it. It's like giving a new driver a brand new BMW.

Four years later, I sold it for $600 and used the money on an ESP Mirage Deluxe. Biggest mistake of my life.

4. I try and forget all the dumb stuff I've done back in my youth.
    Cheers, Barrie.

5. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Eddie.....got my 1st guitar in '87...white E series Japan strat...didn't know nothin bout working on , action, relief ...nothing....married my 2nd wife in 91..she had a "78 LPC Natural finish.belong to Dead ex-husband.....you know the fret-less wonder...heavy as hell..i didn't like it at all, "strat guy " SRV Type...went thru some money troubles in the mid 90's...hocked it at a pawn store for $300....Never got it OUT !:(...........

Eddie, Kenneth Mountain and Treynor like this.
  6. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    ..Hey Eddie......read above My mistake.......

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Don't feel too bad Eddie. I traded a '65 CAR Strat in on an American Standard when they came out in '86, and traded a Japanese made solid rosewood Tele and a LP Studio Lite in on a PRS Custom 24 (this was when all PRS models were 24 fret, there were no 22s, and there was only two models, the Standard and the Custom). But, at that time a sixties Strat was just another used guitar, before the vintage craze began, and the Tele was too bright, and I've never been able to get along with LP's, even though I love how some of my heroes sound playing them. I think I ended up trading the Am. Std. in on an ESP Mirage Custom, still the best playing guitar I've ever owned, but I didn't like the Floyd Rose, and couldn't get it to sound like a Strat, even after changing the Hotrails for regular Strat pickups. And I sold the PRS for $900 (they were about $2300 new at that time) soon after I moved to Hawaii and needed money desperately, 'cause I hadn't found a job yet.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Eddie, Kenneth Mountain and Treynor like this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I knew immediately that I made a mistake after my first string change. The ESP Mirage Deluxe had a nice bite ... and had that metal tone that I wanted, but it was such a temperamental guitar. I wasn't a fan of the Floyd Rose, and I never really used it.

I guess if selling the Gibson LPC was my life's biggest mistake ... I didn't do too bad. :)

DougMen likes this.
  9. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I should have gotten the Deluxe instead of the Custom, 'cause it was a bolt on instead of a neck thru, and had only 22 frets instead of 24, so it would have sounded more like a Strat, 'cause of the bolt on neck, and the fact that the neck pickup was closer to the right place for a Strat. And the Deluxe they had at the time was Surf Green, while my Custom was black.

Eddie likes this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I picked up nice ESP Horizon neck-thru around 1994 for about $400. Very nice guitar. I didn't keep it though.