Just a reminder to Classic Vibe lovers

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DougMen, May 4, 2019.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Anyone who's been on the fence about getting a new Chinese made Alder bodied CV, remember that they're no longer being made, and once current stock is depleted, there will be no more. Summer NAMM is in June, when their Indonesian made replacements will be introduced, and judging by the latest CVs introduced at NAMM in January, they'll most likely be Poplar, not Alder, and will have new Fender designed pickups, rather than the Tonerider sourced ones on the current CV Strats and Teles.

2. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Had mine for years. Don’t know if I’d even trade it for a Fender Custom.
    9712033D-5A6F-44F9-9D51-62CBF011DE17.jpeg

3. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    Saw one at GC the other day. $349 used. It played wonderful! I just couldn’t pull the trigger with this new house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have the same Tele, and the matching CV 60s Strat, both with rosewood (before the switch to Indian laurel). I had been thinking about selling them, but I'm now reconsidering, at least until I see what the new ones will be like DSCN0737.JPG DSCN0677.JPG

5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    $349 seems a little high, since they're only $399 new. I would think that $250-300 would be more reasonable for a mint, like new one.

6. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I'm ok, I have a two CV Strats, one '50 and one '60. I also have a BSB Tele. I think the value will go up on those models.

7. stratfreak

stratfreak Squier-Meister

May 1, 2019
    Austin, TX
    it will be interesting to see what the new CV's are like. Indonesians make some great guitars, so I expect they will still be an excellent value.

8. mimmo

mimmo Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2011
    paris
    Years ago I stupidly sold my CVC that I esquired, but now I am totally focused on the june NAMM where they will show us the new squier esquire.
    Can't wait to see real pics of the guitar, I have pulled the trigger and have to wait until end of August.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  9. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    I will eventually have a CV Custom tele. Love them

10. JVjunky

JVjunky Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I've recently bought one of the 'new' Indonesian 70's Classic Vibe guitars and other than a few very minor upgrades! (Yes, the body is Poplar), they are basically re-badged Vintage Modified series. Unfortunately, they aren't quite as good as the Chinese CV models. The only bonus is that they are quite a bit cheaper here in the UK.
    I really can't understand what Fender are doing. Why discontinue a series that has become so revered by everyone who has played or owns a Chinese Classic Vibe? Moving production to Indonesia may lower costs, but it seems as though that also means that they won't really be 'Classic' anymore.

11. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Talking strats, I really liked the VM I own. I prefer it over the CVs from China. Better thicker neck feel for me. They were not quite up to a CV in build quality but my personal preference just the same. I liked the Squier Deluxe also. Similar to the VM, both made in Indo I believe the same factories etc. The new CVs may be coming out from same factory as well. The China CVs were very popular so in essence, Squier has just taken away another option, made a few improvements over the VMs and called them CVs. It's gotta piss off CV fans and VM fans at the same time. Cheaper quality CVs and more expensive VMs w/some refinements etc.

12. There's two of them in my local music store. I'd like to grab one but, I'm spending every nickel on a move this coming Thursday/Friday.
    Cheers, Barrie.

13. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2017
    TBD
    Looking on the Squier Wiki, CV's came out in 2008.

On Sweetwater, all the orig CV's have serial numbers showing build year of 2018. I couldn't find one showing 2019.

Makes me think that maybe there was a 10 year agreement on terms of engagement, and Fender couldn't reach a similar or better deal as a lot changes over a decade.

Fender may not be doing this on purpose, but out of necessity.

14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It may be that the Chinese CV series were too good, and were stealing too many sales from Mexican Fenders.

15. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    It seems like you think after 10 years of setting and delivering on customer’s high expectations, FMIC is intentionally trying to release an inferior version of a well established non-domestic product to help increase the sales of another non-domestic (US) product. Is that right?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  16. beagle

beagle Squier Talker

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    They did it with MIJs here, back in the 90s. Prices of MIJs went up, quality and availability went down, while MIMs stayed cheaper(in all meanings of the term) and spread everywhere like a rash. Of course, all FMIC products are imports here...

Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.
  17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    My local store is the Nashville Sam Ash and they've had the same two CVC Teles (one's a Thinline and the other "standard") hangin on the wall for almost 3 years now... But I think they're right at $400 or maybe a little more, and you could just about get a Fender Tele for that much...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  18. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    DingDingDing! I think we've got a winner...

Caddy and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice