July 4th NGD on the way

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by otma, Jul 4, 2018.

1. otma

otma Squier-Nut

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    15% off for the 4th of July sale on Reverb, a very nice looking 1982 natural finish Peavey T-15, with the original chainsaw case. T-15's are sometimes referred to as the Mississippi Mustang, since that's where they were made during the very few years in the early 80's that Peavey made them. 23.5" short scale 20 fret maple neck, solid ash body and the Super Ferrite pickups, which are like humbucker size rail P-90's, with 2 big ceramic magnets. If YouTube demos are any indication, they sound great, and the bridge pickup solo can put out a decent Telecaster bite and twang.This is one I've wanted for a while, and after experimenting with various mods and guitar types, I'm ready to have fewer guitars, knowing what I'm looking for in one better.

T 15.JPG T 15 2.JPG

2. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Congratulations! I miss my old peavey, they are getting harder to come by and more expensive.

3. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    One day I will have an old Peavey guitar to match my old Peavey amp :cool:

4. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    I picked one up for my girlfriend's birthday recently. She has tiny hands with skinny fingers, so I thought with the short scale it would be fun to mod it out for her (and also have another guitar around). Also, the stock bridge is a poor part of the design IMO with no individual string intonation. Everyone talks about short scale for small hands (which this has at 23 and change inches), but neck width is important too. I re-shaped the neck and fabbed a (crappy looking but functional) string thru bridge. I ended up with a 38mm nut, 46mm at the 12th, and E-E of 48mm - smaller than anything out there along the upper frets. With the super ferrites string placement above the pups isn't an issue.

It's a nice guitar, but I wish I would have set it up with slightly heavier strings because the intonation was a bit touchy with the short scale.

20180705_083820.jpg 20180705_083837.jpg 20180705_084034.jpg

5. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
  6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    A classic!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I never bonded with these - I think you helped me figure it out - scale length ?

They always looked great to me ! Congrats !

8. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Very cool, otma,,,,,should be just fine, but maybe a bit heavy, weightwise.......Back then, Peavey was going against the Big Boys, (F, G..)

So, they did not mess around...Hope it's great.....I'm Waiting to hear....................willhowl

Oh yeah, if that case has any of that nasty, original black foam crud left, you gotta get rid of that..(It degrades poorly).............Otherwise, the cases are very nice, a big huge +++++.......................

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  9. otma

otma Squier-Nut

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    From what I've read, the T-60's were the real heavyweight champions, some of them overbearing a Les Paul. The T-15 may be heavier than expected for it's size, but it has been described as light. In any case, it can't be too bad.

The case lining seems to be universally awful. Every listing for one with the case has that stuff already gone, or mostly gone, and sometimes replaced with better foam. This one said most of it has been removed, but it might still need some cleaning up.

willhowl and Mister Noonan like this.
  10. Mister Noonan

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    @otma I think you are going to really enjoy it! Happy NGD. I had to force myself not to bond with the one I purchased after setting it up, because after all it is the girlfriend's guitar :)

I was also surprised by the weight (I think ash can vary in density and Peavey used wood on the heavier end of the spectrum). Totally manageable though.

Here is a clip of mine after I finished it (please forgive the shortcomings of the user, not the guitar's fault):

Pat V., willhowl and squierbilly like this.
  11. otma

otma Squier-Nut

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    The stock bridge strikes me as being essentially a compensated wrap around bridge, like the LP Junior's, with a different method of securing it to the guitar, and different string anchoring points. It has the same 2 adjustment screws, which do the same thing, but act on a different part of the bridge. Instead of the bridge anchoring on 2 studs, it slides and pivots in a track in the enclosed bridge plate. I don't have any issue with my Epi Les Paul SL, so this should be just fine for my purposes. A big reason that I don't see the short neck as any disadvantage is because most of what I play is below the 12th fret anyway.

willhowl and Mister Noonan like this.
  12. Mister Noonan

Jun 28, 2018
    present
  13. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Mister Noonan, very nice demo, the raw tone of the guitar came thru fine, sounds good.....as I thought it would.......

Thanks for sharing..................willhowl:cool:

Mister Noonan likes this.
  14. Mister Noonan

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    Thanks @willhowl , means a lot. I'm a basement player, have come a ways in the last year, and am at the moment working my way towards an open mic. My girlfriend is my only feedback, so it is a bit like mom telling their son they are pretty :) Much appreciated.

willhowl likes this.