Joyo American Through An Amp?

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by Hoss, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    I see a lot of folks use the Joyo American Sound as strictly an amp emulator through a PA or computer. How does it sound when plugged into a Fender amp? Is it like any other OD pedal to use? I'm thinking I may need one of these to put an edge on cleans through my PRRI and Tweed Deluxe.

Also, where does one purchase this pedal?

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  2. dqami

dqami Squier Talker

Jan 25, 2012
    oc
    You can adjust for gain,eq, and sound , so clean to hard rock. Buy on Ebay or Amazon. Their Sweet Baby pedal is good for light distortion. Check youtube for demos.

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Hoss like this.
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    FIRST! ANY of these Joyos -the American, the Californa, AC Tone, British...

DO NOT think of them as an overdrive. Think of them as an amp. Once you do that, you can adjust it as if you were overdriving an amp -if you wish. I use the California all the time, but it's squeaky clean.

So that thought process helped me out when using it.

And yes, you can run them into any amp. Naturally how you set any tone controls on the amp itself will color the sound. I make mine pretty flat. If I use my Johnson 15r, it has active EQ so I can set it flat for sure. Then thinking of the Joyo as an amp, I can just dial it in.

I hope that helps.

4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    If that's really what you're looking for, I second the Sweet Baby choice. It is a really mild and fully transparent OD. Doesn't color your native tone a bit. I love mine for that.

5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    So I did think more about your post. Yes. you can set your amp clean then have the Joyo set to give it a goose. I really thought this would be a pedal to play around with here and there and it immediately became a full-time use pedal.

With the California, and I assume the others, there's a lot of sparkle and clarity and presence you can bring in without overdriving, it's like an EQ pedal. Then you hit the level and drive... Yes. I think you will like it.

Kenneth Mountain, Hoss and dbrian66 like this.
  6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Squier Talker

Jun 27, 2010
    UK
    I run one through a DV Mark Little jazz ,I play in bars and its a great set up .I usually use a Tele or Midtown.a Joyo AC is good too.I bought both a s a deal .

7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have the AC tone, American, and British tones. I mainly use them as amp simulators going into my computer, but I have used them going into a very clean setting on my Valveking. They sound great either way. But like others have said, it’s more than an overdrive pedal. The clean tones I get out of the AC pedal are great.

35671886-80D8-4350-B82D-15E5AABF2ADC.jpeg

Kenneth Mountain, so1om and Hoss like this.
  8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I only use my Joyos through an amp. And I use them all the time.

Going through the Twin Reverb or the Wangs Mini 5 they allow for a large variety of available tonal colors. (Those two amps have wonderful tone controls but both are basically clean. The pedals allow them to be "dirty" and at any volume.)

The bigger surprise to me was how useful the pedals are through a dirty amp -- such as my Joyo Sweet Baby with its Champ-type class A circuit. There I use it for just the opposite purpose, but with equally good effect: For tone control and amp voicing.

The difference between the US and the Brit are real but relatively small. (Not as large as, say, that brought about by the Mini 5's 'warm' switch.) But having both of them in the circuit I have them "tuned" for specific songs. Thus turning one or the other on controls the tone-control free Champ type amp's voice. And it does it superbly.

These are truly great pedals. And for what they cost as good a deal as Bullet and Affinity guitars.

:)

-d0n

Pedal Rack.jpg

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I have a Tech21 Sansamp GT2, the forerunner of these pedals. I use it in front of my Peavey Bandit's clean channel and it works great there. It also works great for recording into a mixing board. However, I don't like it with my Fender tube amps. For them, I prefer a regular overdrive pedal.

10. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    I am very curious about these pedals...

Also, it's interesting to know that they should be treated as AMP sims and not necessarily or only an OD pedal.

What I still don't understand though, is the difference between the California and American... both are modeled after Fender amps?

11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    California is a Mesa , American is a Fender

12. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    No, the California is based on a few Mesa Boogie models.

-don

Stratlover84 and wickedtools like this.
  13. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    You have 3 EQ controls: Bass, Middle, Treble. You have a gain and level control and then a Voice control (so think of that as a presence control). How is that different than an amp with the same controls? And amps; you can have clean or dirty, right?

I think the "problem" is that many people will think a pedal is to add something, not be something, so to speak. My amp is clean, why add a pedal to make it clean? I dunno.. we use EQ pedals, right? And since these pedals can overdrive, well.. "that must be what they are used for". Well sure, they can be.

No one is really arguing the points or what they do or anything, everyone is right.

Since I'm not much of a pedal guy (and those that have seen me write that before, stop rolling your eyes!!! :D ) as I approached it like an amp, I seem to get more out of the pedal. does that make sense?

Look up the Tech 21 manuals to see more information than what comes with the Joyos.

The California is a Mesa MKII type of amp, I'm thinking more Everclear, Red Hot Chili Peppers, some Santana sounds, SoCal Skatepunk. I chose this one because I have enough Fender, not a Marshall fan (I have a vintage Sound City 50+), not a Vox fan... So the California made the most sense for me.

I have heard that the voice control of the American will kinda dial through various types of Fender tones, tweeds, bassmans, etc. It's a smooth control (not detent) so I don't know what the voice controls of the others sweep through.

I got mine on sale around the $35 price shipped. You can find them used of course. Some people try and have them all and use them all.

Check them out for sure!

14. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Meister

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    I love my American Sound pedal! Use it as a tone shaper, to dial in different Fender-type voicings. The further left to center for the Voice knob gives cleaner, smoother blackface type tones. The further right you turn it, the more tweediness gets dialed in. You can also fine-tune the tweed effect with the mid knob. I'm including the user setting guide for the Tech 21 Blonde, which this is cloned from Just substitute the Character knob for voice knob on the Joyo. I've also run mine directly into the Pwr Amp Return of my FX loop, and used it as a substitute preamp. Works very well. This really is a versatile box!

Attached Files:

Kenneth Mountain, Hoss and so1om like this.
  15. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Buy the tech 21 blonde is a lot better and without amp sounds awesome too.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  16. RetiredNSquired

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Kenneth Mountain, so1om and Hoss like this.
  17. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

You there capture what to me is the real magic of these pedals -- each in the series. It is that they "model" (analog) the qualities of not one, but two amps within the line (Fender, Marshall, Vox. Mesa Boogie) and allow you to meld those two voices according to your own needs.

Fender amps, as an example, is not a single ever present voice. A Blackface sounds different from a 'tweed.' How it breaks up, what the tonal balance is as the tubes reach their sweet spot.

That is why I use an American Sound plugged into my classic Silverface Twin Reverb.

That amp is clean, clean, clean. A distortion pedal dirties it, but does not fully emulate the distinct break up of a non-pedaled, overdriven Fender amp. The American Sound allows the Twin to do just that, and then to customize it.

The British sound pedal gives the TR a Marshallish sound. The Vox adds -- of course! -- "chime." And the California adds that certain something that makes Mesa Boogies unique -- something that I'll call "saturation" but that others may be better able to describe.

Yes, you can add distortion pedals to this basic sound -- just as you would with one of the original amps. But these Joyo pedals are not that -- they are amp simulators. True if directly run into a voice/reinforcement system, or if plugged into a clean guitar amp.

-don

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Stratlover84 and RetiredNSquired like this.
  18. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    As usual, great and informative comments. This helps. My tweed deluxe sounds wonderful, but is so loud when it gets to the sweet spot that it's not practical for an old bedroom picker. I'm really not a pedal guy anymore, but I may have to spring for one of these. Thanks guys!

19. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Meister

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Love mine it’s at the end of my pedal train. And really brightens my amp up to get it close to a fender sound. I put a caline pure sky in front of it and can’t find any bad tones.

My advice is to set your amp at a flat eq then let the joyo do the rest.

20. RetiredNSquired

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    For the price, you really can't beat it. I found mine on Ebay for $28.00 new. Took a little longer to get here (about 2 weeks) than a Prime order, but Hey! saved about 10 bucks! These are truly one of the best low-priced options going.

so1om and Hoss like this.