John 5 vs Fender Player Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Matz6767, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Matz6767

Matz6767 Squier Talker

Sep 23, 2019
    Denmark
    I can't figure out which one to get and I can't get to try them in the shops in my area. Any opinions? Is the Player of a higher quality you think?

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Welcome to the boards!

The Squier John 5's have quite a few fans here. If I came across one, I'd be tempted. I think there are higher end John 5's you can get as well. (e.g. MIM, USA Fender)

If you like the HH config and the other small customizations, you're going to want the John 5 just because they are essentially a hot-rodded, versatile, metal-Telecaster.

I am a big fan of the Player series as well, which can range from vintage-y to more modern. The guitar in my new avatar is a Player Strat with factory-mounted Floyd Rose.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    VERY different guitars. What are you looking for sound-wise? What genres do you play?

The J5 has high output ceramic humbuckers.....the player series has vintage style alnico single coils....BIG time difference in sound.

4. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    drewcp likes this.
  5. Matz6767

Matz6767 Squier Talker

Sep 23, 2019
    Denmark
    To Guitarmageddon: among many things I play Van Halen, Jane's addiction, Chili Peppers, some metal. Would a Player be hopeless when it comes to hard rock?

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Not hopeless, but it would lack a lot of 'balls' without something like a boost or overdrive pedal, and noisy except in the middle 3-way position. This also depends on your amp though. Tell me what you play through that will seal the deal. So far it's looking like HH J5 Tele.

drewcp likes this.
  7. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Based on your description, the Player would be serviceable but I'd recommend putting a bridge humbucker in. Probably a rail style so it fits in the same routing.

The J5 is closer to what you want out of the box. But that's the fun part of guitars is you can make them whatever you want.

8. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I have a John 5 and I can't believe how great it is for the price. If I was choosing a new tele I would buy it again. I would get it with plans of upgrading pups tuners etc.. I didn't care for 2 volume controls and no tone. I put DiMarzio pups in and new pots. Made 1 vol 1 tone. Added locking tuners and it's just awesome. Love the neck too.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  9. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Oh btw I'd buy a used one with the darker fretboard.

10. Matz6767

Matz6767 Squier Talker

Sep 23, 2019
    Denmark
    Guitamageddon: I only play through amp sims right now. You're right, it does seem like I should go for the John 5

Thanks for the replies everyone!

drewcp likes this.
  11. Attic Monkey

Attic Monkey Squier Talker

Oct 18, 2019
    portugal
    I have the chance to buy this 2nd hand J5 at 250€, but the knobs position are in a total different position. Can anyone tell me what is going on here? j5.PNG

12. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Pickups can always be changed...
    There is neck profile to consider. Fender’s are typically beefier at the nut, even though the specs read similar. The only Squier neck that’s been as chunky at nut as any of my Fenders was my original Squier ‘51.
    This is the sole reason I don’t have any Squier Telecasters anymore.

drewcp and Attic Monkey like this.
  13. Attic Monkey

Oct 18, 2019
    portugal
    He said he bought it new like this and didn´t change anything. I find it odd.

drewcp likes this.
  14. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    The John5 is good quality, but I'd say the Player is definitely better. Both are great within their segments though. FYI, my black John 5 is pretty heavy.

Attic Monkey likes this.
  15. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    J5 has the pickup selector up top like a Les Paul. and 2 volume controls. the control plate is flipped so the knobs are further forward.

drewcp and Attic Monkey like this.
  16. Attic Monkey

Oct 18, 2019
    portugal
    Thanks. You're saying it´s flipped, so someone flipped them. Do you think there's a reason for doing this?

17. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    "the knobs are further forward."

18. Attic Monkey

Oct 18, 2019
    portugal
    Yes, I can see that in the photo I posted the knobs are further forward, but in all the other images I see of this same model, the knobs are further back. I'm trying to understand if there is a reason for this. (sorry, english is not my native language, maybe I'm missing something).

19. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    The reason for putting the knobs further forward is usually for easier (or better) access. It's just a preference for a lot of people. It's very common for the control plate to be rotated as a modification on telecasters. Makes volume swells easier to accomplish.

fadetoz likes this.
  20. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Sorry for not explaining it with details before. I'm so used to the concept that I didn't consider how it's purpose (usefulness) might not be obvious to others.

Attic Monkey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice