jazzmaster...

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by chester22, Feb 12, 2018.

1. chester22

chester22 Squier Talker

Jan 19, 2018
    asdfasdf
    what makes these 'jazz' ? do they stink for other music?

ElRey67 likes this.
  2. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Meister

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    The intention of Fender's marketing geniuses at the time thought that Jazz players would like the sound of these guitars. Didn't work out that way. Surf musicians were the first ones to take to it. R&B/Gospel legend Pops Staples played one as well.

It's the best guitar for Surf music, IMO. Also popular with many modern rock bands today. Personally, it's my favorite guitar, and I don't play Jazz.

One of my favorite bands using their Jazzmasters....

so1om, grizmit and ElRey67 like this.
  3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Right on!

Some of the elements that Fender, I think, thought would appeal to jazz players was the offset body design giving it a "jazzy" look. In addition it was supposed to have a mellower sound than other Fenders at the time, essentially the Duo Sonic, Telecaster and Stratocaster, because of the special designed pickups, the addition of the rhythm circuit and being the first Fender with a rosewood fingerboard.

Another name changer was Fender's Bassman amp. I understand the first Bassmans, marketed just to bass players, had a 15-inch speaker but were later redesigned with the iconic 4x10-inch speaker configuration, an obvious nod to the fact that guitarists and harp players were using the amp a lot.

ElRey67 likes this.
  4. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Well, plenty of rock guitarists have used them, even Troy Van Leuwan of QOTSA and Jay Mascis of Dino Jr., so no they are not just good for Jazz.
    The Jazzmaster was supposed to take over as top seller by Fender when they first introduced it. That’s what I read somewhere, anyway.

grizmit, VealCutlet and chimneysweep like this.
  5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Ya you're right. It was supposed to be Fender's top model.

VealCutlet and ElRey67 like this.
  6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Well a few are missing the mark, or rather, incomplete. But this has need written about ad infinitum all over the place.

Fender was successful in country music markets and the newer rock and roll sound, pop.. But they wanted to challenge Gibson and Epiphone, Gretsch for the "serious musician" and the professional jazz and studio players.

The idea of moving the bridge more to the middle and shifting the whole center of the guitar. tied to the offset waist and contours, made it comfortable to play. The additional circuitry was to allow easy tone changes and settings. True, the Jazzmaster pickups allow a field that is more spread out, less concentrated, than a Tele or Strat, so that seemed favorable to jazz tones.

But it was also too much and too out there and different to be accepted (in general) by jazz players. They were actually fine with large jazz boxes and a single mellow pickup at the sweet spot.

or google search.

7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The offset body shape, along with looking cool, was designed to work better than the standard shape for a sitting player -- placing the neck when the guitar rested on the leg, in the optimal playing position.

The PUPS had/have wider and shallower coils. Thus they pick up their signal from a greater area of each string. (Think of the difference between the bridge and neck PUP -- the ratio of highs to low, the mixing in of more overtones.)

The trem bar/bridge, too, aimed for subtlety along with sonic richness.

Hard rockers often like them mostly for their cool body shape and quite often change the rest. Different PUPS. Different switches. Different bridge.

I especially like 'em for surf and the music of the Ventures. But half of that is their historic association with that music. For sound along I think they can be made to work for almost anything.

They feel great in the hands while standing, too, btw. :)

-don

grizmit, CVSteve, VealCutlet and 3 others like this.
  8. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    It should be called the Hipmaster now.
    I want a Telemaster. Those are too cool

ElRey67 likes this.
  9. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    AMERICAS NEXT TOP MODEL

so1om likes this.
  10. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Then the Jaguar!

VealCutlet likes this.
  11. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    johnny marr please

jmarr vs TVL JM
    FIGHT

VealCutlet and grizmit like this.
  12. kjohns339

kjohns339 Squier Talker

Jun 17, 2010
    FL
    Jazzmasters and other offsets became popular with rocker types because of their lack of popularity. They were snubbed by mainstream musicians who preferred strats, teles, or LPs. So grung, garage, and punk guys could get a Jazzmaster much cheaper than a Strat or Tele.

13. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    <———— I play Jazz on mine.

Caddy, grizmit, VealCutlet and 4 others like this.
  14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    This a troll post?

I don’t care for guitar stereotypes, though each design type will have benefits/costs for a given style. John McLaughlin used a Duo Sonic or Mustang (or both) for In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew, FWIW mentioning.

15. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
  16. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Jazzmasters are tone machines and great fun to play. Here’s a couple tone samples of my Squier VM Jazzmaster and stock pickups.

Clean with reverb:

Same guitar with drive/fuzz:

CVSteve, Caddy, surfrodguitar and 3 others like this.
  17. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Griz, that LBS cover was smoking. Excellent and even better with the kids I bet.

grizmit likes this.
  18. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Thanks ElRey. Yeah, memories like these are more valuable than even the mintiest ‘59 LP. :)

ElRey67 likes this.
  19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    What reverb did you use, if I may ask?

20. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    It’s been a while, but I think that was my DigiTech RP multi unit that I have in my effects loop. It has a Fender Twin Reverb modeler with a decent spring reverb sim.

Otherwise it would have been my TC HOF pedal, but that pedal doesn’t splash quite as much so I doubt it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    ElRey67 likes this.