Jagmaster Pickguard Mod

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by D_Rad, Mar 7, 2012.

1. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    New pickguard for my Jagmaster. ... what "look" to go with?!?.. I was inspired by this thread while forum lurking...

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21760&p=342256

...the main logic to change it was the lack of switches in the upper horn so no reason to keep the shape and the new P-90's were dictating a different visual vibe. Keeping the correct proportions of the Duo-Sonic and Mustang p/g was a given in making the hybrid. If you search enough you will find templates to download for almost any guitar....one resource.

http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/GuitarPickguards.aspx

...these work fine though a bit pixelated once enlarged to full scale. Next step was to scan original Jagmaster guard, paste in the hybrid and scale to fit, erase what wasn't needed, then print...easy enough!?! I used a bandsaw and jigsaw to cut the shape/openings, beltsander to bevel the edges, files/sandpaper to clean up openings... This is a down-and-dirty method most people have the tools to do.

...mockups.

jag sonic.jpg
    Jag-SONIC.
    jag sonicupdated.jpg
    Jag-SONIC II... I like this SONIC version better.
    jag stang.jpg
    Jag-STANG

My intention was to get a blk/red/blk blank but decided to use what was on hand. Clear polycarbonate, backpainted with Krylon 'celery', front scuffed with scotchbrite for translucent finish. Inside surface shielded.

...finished
    jagster2.jpg
    jagster3.jpg

Full sized scan/template PDFs could not be posted here, so here is a link to my website where they are stashed!

http://www.naturalisticindustrial.com/stuff.html

The one thing I would suggest to anyone who wants to use these is to
    1. use your original pickguard for screw hole locating.
    2. you will have to modify the pup openings to suit whatever using.

Have fun!!!

Peace.

2. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    whoops?!? thought that link would provide downloadable PDF's of the pickguard scans :eek: ....hmmmmm... will have to look into it.

3. woolbrig

woolbrig Squier-holic

Apr 16, 2010
    Bethalto, IL
    Nice job!. Looks good on that guitar.

4. Marko60

Marko60 Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Yeah, nice, I totally transformed my Jagmaster into a Jazzmaster including the rythm circuit, I even re shaped the headstock to an authentic 57-65 shape

5. Marko60

Marko60 Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Jagmaster to Jazzmaster

2012-10-13 12.58.07.jpg

2012-10-13 12.57.48.jpg

6. Marko60

Marko60 Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    All of the hardware is genuine fender, the trem unit has the 'Fender' stamp, the rythm circuit came from Warmoth, it sounds unmistakingly 'Jazzmaster'. 58-65 I meant

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice