Jagmaster Mod Project

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by Botso, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    The EMG 89 is a push pull split coil. So I’m excited about that. Considering making there only be a single master tone to keep the look as close to the jagmaster as possible.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    The used set of EMGs came into today. They look to be pre wired correctly and in working order.

Attached Files:

squierbilly likes this.
  3. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    The guitar came in. I took it apart to get the custom pickguard started at WDmusic should be done in about a week. I'll post pictures soon.

Herzal and ElRey67 like this.
  4. jman72

jman72 Squier Talker

Yesterday
    Florida
    Cool project. I'm working on upgrading/customizing a Jagmaster myself. A word of caution...the trem on mine is NOT the same as a standard Squier trem. I just bought one of the GFS "shorty steel trem blocks for Squier" to upgrade the existing trem, and it came in the mail today. It does not even come close to fitting my Jagmaster trem- the mounting and trem arm holes are all way off. So, my guess is the Jagmaster has some sort of trem with its own specs. I'll probably try to return it to GFS, but I'm not sure what the hassle will be. If you figure out a good replacement trem, I'd love to hear about it. Otherwise, I'm giving it a new paintjob, new knobs, adding new pickups (some of the bootstrap P90s), replacing all electronics, etc.. it is a great platform for building a cool guitar.

5. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    Here is the current state of my guitar Jagmaster and my SS Jaguar Bass. I ran into some issues with my wiring. The 5 way switch is going where the 3 way toggle usually goes. MY solder less set wires were too short. I e-mailed EMG and they are sending me longer solder-less wire for free! Can not wait to get this thing together. IMG_20190116_190900.jpg

6. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    I got the gfs trem too. The shorty! I lined mine up and it looked close. It did not line up with my pickguard by like a millimeter. I think I can get it to work but taking about a tiny amount off my new pickguard. I'll post pictures tomorrow I may have to replace it. Let me know if they are cool about a return.

7. jman72

jman72 Squier Talker

Yesterday
    Florida
    Did you get the whole trem or just the block? I was going to try and just replace the block and use my stock Jagmaster trem, but I don't think that is going to work. The three holes that you use to screw the block to the trem don't line up.

8. jman72

jman72 Squier Talker

Yesterday
    Florida
    Here is my original:

IMG_20180830_110441537.jpg

And here's the body after some filled dings, primer and painting with an ice blue metallic color coat:

IMG_20190109_210156615.jpg

9. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    Looks amazing. I will paint the body of my guitar once I have all the hardware to fit perfectly and function properly.

10. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    What do you guys think ?
    Does this look right ?

11. jman72

jman72 Squier Talker

Yesterday
    Florida
    Great video. So, you bought the whole tremolo setup. I just bought the replacement block to screw into the existing trem and replace the cheap crappy zinc bloc:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Squier...l-Tremolo-Block-105m-Import-Spec_p_24703.html

I guess I should have gone with the whole tremolo since it was really only $15 more. I'll probably try to exchange it and get the whole trem setup. I did notice that even the "shorty" block is still longer than the original block so it might still be too long and hit up against the back plate. The Squier bodies are pretty thin compared to the Mexican and American Fenders.

12. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    My question is- do you think it will work? I may go in and grind some of the block on the upper side so it can slide up and line the whole up perfect.that way I won’t have to mess with my pick guard

13. jman72

jman72 Squier Talker

Yesterday
    Florida
    I wish I could say for sure, but really, the only way to tell is to install it and make sure that it functions properly. As long as there is adequate clearance between the bottom of the block and your back plate, it SHOULD work. Also remember, once you attach the springs to the block, they stick down a little bit, too, so figure that in.

I just checked...GFS will gladly accept returns on any item within 10 days of receipt as long as it is in original unaltered condition (you pay shipping), so if you can install it without damaging it and see if it works, that would obviously be the sure-fire way to tell if it works.

If you get it figured out, let me know. It seems like we're on a similar journey with this Jagmaster thing!:) If yours works, I'll get one too.